Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 2 2010, 09:10 AM   #91
Harvey
Admiral

Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

It really seems like the writers have completely forgotten about the guy Dexter killed in the bathroom in the first episode of this season. It's a really annoying dangling plot thread, and I'll probably bring it up until the finale.

Still, this most recent episode (in the Dexter scenes) was wrought with tension, something I haven't felt in any other episode this year. Yes, Masuka's explanation for the murder was ridiculous and unbelievable...but it was also hilarious. Does that justify giving Dexter such an easy out? Probably not, but it works in the moment.

I'm less pleased that the guy Lumen abducted revealed himself so easily as being one of the rapists (he doesn't call the police, he calls one of his rapist friends, and he doesn't call for help, but he calls to warn his rapist friend that he's been discovered--all on Lumen's phone while she is barely in the next room!). Talk about a plot device.

It seems like Julia Stiles' out this season is the fact that her character is completely unstable, which isn't terribly interesting.

I also stand by my prediction that the finale will end with Debra finding out Dexter's secret, and having to kill Quinn over it. It sure seems like they're headed towards a triangle that won't have a happy ending. Where Peter Weller fits into this I have no idea. His acting is still far too over-the-top for this show.

And, God, I hope that was the end of the Angel/LaGuerta relationship nonsense.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 05:41 PM   #92
Geck
Rear Admiral

I agree with most of what Harvey just said. There were a few too many conveniences this episode, and some writing choices I wouldn't have made, but the episode was still put together well and certainly the most intense of the season.

I really hoped the dentist guy wouldn't turn out to be one of the rapists, and would lead to Lumen going on an increasingly insane and random killing spree, thinking every man who looks at her was one of her attackers, while Dexter has to try to keep her in control and clean up after her. Meanwhile, crime scenes and homicide calls keep stacking up, keeping the cops on their trail until eventually they can't get away in time, Deb finds Dexter helping Lumen, shit hits the fan. No more last second, nick-of-time lucky escapes please - they're too contrived.

Still a good ep overall, and I'm still enjoying this season more than season 3. And I still think the Batista/LaGuerta stuff is at least being handled a lot better/more interestingly than last year. It doesn't feel quite as much like a waste of 7-8 minutes each episode.
Geck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 07:17 PM   #93
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

It'd be a good twist for Lumen to identify Quinn as one of the guys who assaulted her.
Old November 2 2010, 09:20 PM   #94
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

As in Quinn actually being a human trafficker?
Old November 3 2010, 12:19 AM   #95
Harvey
Admiral

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
It'd be a good twist for Lumen to identify Quinn as one of the guys who assaulted her.
By good twist, you mean awfully easy out for the writers to keep the series going?

I suppose there's potential there, but I'd rather the series head somewhere else.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2010, 12:48 AM   #96
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

I see Lumen maybe trying to take out Quinn to protect Dexter and Dexter to stop her but in the process his secret could come out.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2010, 01:08 AM   #97
Aragorn
Admiral

Or what if Quinn finds out Dexter's secret and doesn't have an issue with it?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2010, 02:45 AM   #98
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

It'd be an easy out for Dexter, to a degree, but it would make sense, given what we know about Quinn so far. At the very least, it would make a red herring.

We already know he's crooked from last season. He's always been a little skeevy, which has been emphasized in this week's ep.

Before Lumen's rapist was caught on the phone, Dexter was trying to cast doubt by pointing out that the guy was a dentist and family man--a good guy--only to find out Lumen's accusation was true. Meanwhile, Batista is telling Deb that Quinn's a "good guy."

It's possible, and it wouldn't be from left field. In fact, you can pretty much bet that someone we know is involved, whether it's Quinn, Weller, etc. Heck, that's probably who the rapist called to warn.
Old November 3 2010, 08:38 AM   #99
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
It really seems like the writers have completely forgotten about the guy Dexter killed in the bathroom in the first episode of this season. It's a really annoying dangling plot thread, and I'll probably bring it up until the finale.

Still, this most recent episode (in the Dexter scenes) was wrought with tension, something I haven't felt in any other episode this year. Yes, Masuka's explanation for the murder was ridiculous and unbelievable...but it was also hilarious. Does that justify giving Dexter such an easy out? Probably not, but it works in the moment.
Yeah, at least it was funny as hell. It made little sense but the hilarity of it kind of saved it from it's own stupidity.

And, God, I hope that was the end of the Angel/LaGuerta relationship nonsense.
I hope so as it's painful to watch...I think I'd rather have a root canal...or hear nails on a chalkboard...
Old November 3 2010, 07:46 PM   #100
davejames
Vice Admiral

Loved this latest episode. Easily the best and most suspenseful so far, and I thought Dexter's last-second solution at the end was absolutely inspired. For me the only thing that strains credibility is the fact Dexter hung around the warehouse as long as he did. With the cops already outside, he should have been gone immediately (and then he could simply alter the evidence after the fact or something).

I do agree the season as a whole has been pretty lackluster though. Kinda reminds me of the third season, which also meandered around too much early on.

And as much as I like Julia Stiles, her character just isn't that interesting at all.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2010, 08:39 PM   #101
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

This season deffo doesn't have the same kick of previous years though thats because Dexter sets the bar very high. Overall still a good season of telly and am sure it will get even better in the end but I feel its showing signs of lets wrap it up next year so it can go out with pride.

I would even consider dropping season 6 to 10 episodes to get a more focus plotline.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 08:44 PM   #102
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
I'm beginning to worry about the writing on this show. Several scenes in this last episode came off as being clumsily handled: a) Masuka immediately buying into the scene that Dexter had laid out b) Quinn's drinking and dancing in the club while undercover (is this believable?) c) Rapey guy picking up the phone and calling his rapey friends as soon as Dexter and Lumen left the room. I did enjoy the final scene with Dexter and Lumen at the scene of Rita's death however.
Yes - c in particular struck me as clumsy.

I also disliked Lumen being designated as carrying a "Dark Passenger." She's way too weepy for that - the Dark Passenger should cause a person to have joy in committing murder (and continuing long after the initial targets have been exterminated). We should be getting the sense that Lumen is a terrifying person in order to sell this idea. Either that, or keep her as she is, and lose the Dark Passenger in regards to her.

I also stand by my prediction that the finale will end with Debra finding out Dexter's secret, and having to kill Quinn over it.
They've really got to pull the trigger on Deb-finds-out by the end of this season - there needs to be some propelling factor into next season, regardless of whether it's the last.

I really hoped the dentist guy wouldn't turn out to be one of the rapists, and would lead to Lumen going on an increasingly insane and random killing spree, thinking every man who looks at her was one of her attackers, while Dexter has to try to keep her in control and clean up after her.
That could still happen. The dentist being one of the rapists could be chalked up to dumb luck - there's no way her explanation of how she targetted him is going to work twice - and she got it wrong once before, after all. But she needs to amp up the scary-factor if we're going to believe she's a female version of Dexter without the Harry Code.

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
Only if she's dead wrong about it and Dexter has to protect Quinn from her. There's been zero setup for Quinn being a rapist.

We already know he's crooked from last season. He's always been a little skeevy, which has been emphasized in this week's ep.
He's skeevy in a stealing-money-from-a-crime-scene way, but that is a long long long way from characterizing him as a rapist.

Weller's character seems more likely (although a heck of a coincidence) - he's playing that character as very skeevy (but maybe that's because he's over the top with it).

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; November 7 2010 at 08:57 PM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2010, 10:25 PM   #103
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Looks like Quinn is getting some cold feet due to him sleeping with Dexter's sister so he looks like Dexter is gonna have more trouble with Weller's character.
Old November 9 2010, 12:10 AM   #104
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

This week's episode had the same mistake one of the Dexter audiobooks did -- something that any native Miamian like me would never make.

This week, Quinn made the mistake of saying "Brickell" (as in "Brickell Ave.") with the emphasis on the second syllable (brih-KELL) -- and any Miamian can tell you that it's BRICK-ul.

Grr. Threw me right out of the episode.
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2010, 12:21 AM   #105
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

I'm having trouble buying Lumen's decision to keep going after the men who tortured her even though all of them would, as Dexter said, end up executed, or at least imprisoned for the rest of their lives anyway. In theory it makes sense considering what she's been through, but I don't think Stiles was able to get across the emotional nuances of making that choice needed to make it believable.