Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 2 2010, 04:11 AM   #106
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Well I officially have a new favorite show. This is the first time I've found zombies frightening since I first watched Night of the Living Dead.
They did a really good job illustrating the problem with numbers in that horseback scene. I had a feeling there was a hatch but that under the tank scene was still intense.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 04:15 AM   #107
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

This season is only 6 episodes long, so I'd suggest to at least watch it to the end and then judge it as a whole before hastely brushing it off. It's only the pilot and we've only met a few characters so far. It's a show about zombies, slow moving ones in fact, so molasses sounds about right, pace-wise. Any faster and we would have missed some of the good stuff in setting these characters up. So far so good in my opinion. Flaws or not.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 06:02 AM   #108
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I really enjoyed it.

I'll be back next week.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 06:17 AM   #109
Harry Palmer
Admiral

Instant classic.

Two things.

The escape hatch the M1A1 Abrams does not have an escape hatch.

The Huey carcasses. The US Military doesn't use them anymore.

I can live with it.
Harry Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 07:16 AM   #110
watermelony2k
Vice Admiral

After rewatching it, did anyone else notice how in the beginning Shane dipped his french fry into Rick's ketchup? Foreshadowing much?
watermelony2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 07:21 AM   #111
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

I noticed it too, I guess you could say that, but still not sure if it really meant anything other than needing ketchup.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 09:25 AM   #112
O'Dib
Commodore

Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
The mechanism by which they became reanimated is low-powered and incomplete; which is why they move slowly and are relatively weaker than living humans.
Until they start feeding, at which point they can chew off limbs, tear out internal organs, etc.
Old November 2 2010, 09:49 AM   #113
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

omegastein wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
My only nitpicks were that he didn't seem to ask a lot of questions about the situation when he met other survivor guy. I'd be looking for details. The other weird thing was that there were no signs of the Internet or cell phones. Using the CB but not looking for a working cell phone or trying the Internet at the police station made it seem like this was set sometime in the past. Although they didn't seem to try regular radio or TV either.
I will chalk this up as failed attempts we simply did not see on the show. Even though no specific date has been established, this is definitely not the past. You can 'assume' this by the shot of the in-car police computer.

The specific model shown on AMC's TWD at least establishes the show occurs in a present day timeframe (within a couple years +/-) and that there is internet.
Ah, there we go. Probably cut for time. Maybe the DVD release will be extended.
Old November 2 2010, 09:51 AM   #114
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I rarely leave the Doctor Who forum anymore, but jeez, does every new show get nit-picked this hard around here?
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 02:09 PM   #115
J.T.B.
Commodore

I have a basic familiarity with the zombie genre, but it usually doesn't do much for me. I thought the premiere episode was OK, not great, but "establishing" pieces can have disadvantages. There were some things that didn't make a lot of sense, I wasn't crazy about some of the performances, and I wasn't impressed with the police work at the beginning (What was going to happen to the pursuing cop cars when they hit the spike strip? How did they allow another occupant to crawl out and shoot someone?!) But for the most part the look and tone worked and I will be watching future episodes and hoping for improvements. I thought the effect on the deputy of his .357 going off inside the tank was a nice touch, that kind of thing is so often overlooked.

My only nitpicks were that he didn't seem to ask a lot of questions about the situation when he met other survivor guy. I'd be looking for details. The other weird thing was that there were no signs of the Internet or cell phones. Using the CB but not looking for a working cell phone or trying the Internet at the police station made it seem like this was set sometime in the past. Although they didn't seem to try regular radio or TV either.
I'm assuming if the power grid is down the cell towers aren't working, and the survivor guy said that broadcasting had stopped at some point, so I guess two-way radio was the best option. Plus it is more likely to be monitored by "authorites," if any still exist.

The show was definitely set close to present-day, there was a 2009 or '10 Ford Fusion on the road. I wondered about the date myself in the first scenes when I saw the deputy was wearing a six-shooter. You don't see too many of those as duty sidearms these days. Was that to heighten the tension as the zombies close in and he's down to his last shot? The way he eyed the Beretta magazine made me think he may want to switch weapons.

--Justin
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 02:10 PM   #116
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

omegastein wrote: View Post
I will chalk this up as failed attempts we simply did not see on the show. Even though no specific date has been established, this is definitely not the past. You can 'assume' this by the shot of the in-car police computer.

The specific model shown on AMC's TWD at least establishes the show occurs in a present day timeframe (within a couple years +/-) and that there is internet.
The internet and cell phones don't work that well when there's no power.
Old November 2 2010, 02:32 PM   #117
RoJoHen
Awesome

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I rarely leave the Doctor Who forum anymore, but jeez, does every new show get nit-picked this hard around here?
Only by certain people.
Old November 2 2010, 02:42 PM   #118
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Nitpicking isn't so bad, it means they got most everything right so people only notice the details. I mean if the worst problem people find with your show is that the tank shouldn't have an escape hatch in real life you probably should be happy.
Old November 2 2010, 03:04 PM   #119
Agent Richard07
Admiral

...he didn't seem to ask a lot of questions about the situation when he met other survivor guy. I'd be looking for details.
That bothered me too. I was hoping that he'd ask more questions so that we could at least get one man's take on what happened.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 03:33 PM   #120
sojourner
Vice Admiral

My one little nitpick - In the first scene of him galloping away on his newly acquired horse, the bag of guns on his back is obviously fake. The way they were bouncing against him he would have had a broken back in a few minutes. Also in that same scene, you can see the guns almost fall out of the bag as he races away.

Some of the Hueys were parked too close to light poles at the hospital.

truly nitpicks. Nothing remotely disastrous about them.