New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old November 2 2010, 08:02 AM   #16
TerokNor
Captain

Re: SigCat/Shaping a Cardassian: "The Lightless Ends of the World"

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
TerokNor wrote: View Post
I imagine Brenok must sometimes though those two crazy with their loyalty to such a man.
Oh, yes, he does

Id very much like a story from Brenoks point of view about his friends admiring of Dukat.

TerokNor

I support PLAN. http://plan-international.org/
TerokNor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 08:13 AM   #17
TerokNor
Captain

I'm glad you liked AU Damar! Since you're the Damar expert and this is the first time I've ever given him any dialogue (I almost said "speaking role," but it didn't quite fit ), would you say that even though he was communicating by sign language, that he "sounded" like himself? I had some ideas, but I'd really like to know how that worked out so I know if I should keep going in that direction if I use him again.
He came across as enthuiastic, forwardthinking, young and probbaly more the reckless kind of guy. I find it fitting for that universe. In Canon he is more pessimistic, but the AU Damar fits the AU Dukat well.
The sign language I find an interessting aspect and a very helpful thing. Am certainly interessted to read more about AU Dukat and AU Damar.

TerokNor

Last edited by TerokNor; November 2 2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old November 2 2010, 01:05 PM   #18
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

The sign language I find an interessting aspect and a very helpful thing. Am certainly interessted to read more about AU Dukat and AU Damar.
Check NG's SigCat stories on AdAstra. They are worth it

Prepare a box of tissues, your eyes will need them

Id very much like a story from Brenoks point of view about his friends admiring of Dukat.
I don't have any idea for a story, but I have the title:

You're both nuts!

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 01:44 PM   #19
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

He came across as enthuiastic, forwardthinking, young and probbaly more the reckless kind of guy. I find it fitting for that universe. In Canon he is more pessimistic, but the AU Damar fits the AU Dukat well.
I figured that even though he's probably seen a lot of tough things, living on an invaded Cardassia, that he might have more inner peace. He doesn't spend all his time being verbally beaten down by his commanding officer or by some Vorta. And he also has a better influence from at least one of his friends and mentors. Finally, from what I gathered as I wrote him, he is probably an Oralian, which I expect affects his outlook on life as well.

The sign language I find an interessting aspect and a very helpful thing.
Thanks. I thought that a species whose hearing isn't as strong as a human's might have a different place in its culture for sign language, and it would be more widely known by hearing people as well as those who are deaf. (In my version of the canon universe, though, the Cardassians hide it from other species.)

Am certainly interessted to read more about AU Dukat and AU Damar.
I hope you will enjoy their stories. Just be aware, even though some characters won't live to see their Cardassia freed, and even though I haven't written it yet, I know it will happen.
Old November 2 2010, 01:50 PM   #20
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Finally, from what I gathered as I wrote him, he is probably an Oralian, which I expect affects his outlook on life as well.
Oh, that's not sure? I thought it was certain he was one too.

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Old November 2 2010, 02:00 PM   #21
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I think he is. I haven't worked with him a lot, but I'm pretty sure.
Old November 2 2010, 05:24 PM   #22
TerokNor
Captain

GR: Love the title! I am sure a fitting story will come to your creative mind.

NG: .... you are not trying to tell me you want to kill of AU Damar at one point in time, do you?

TerokNor

Old November 2 2010, 09:34 PM   #23
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

I often have difficulty expressing myself in these posts, so sometimes I wish I could just talk to both of you, rather than muddling my way through words like I do. Suffice it to say, I really enjoyed this. It was very well meshed - the two of you really work well together. Thematically, emotionally, etc, it made good use of both "sides" rather than just being a crossover "gimmick" (not that I'd expect either of you to do something as cheap as to labelled a "gimmick" ) I always suppose must be difficult to create meaningful crossovers, particularly when they necessitate an "only remembered as a dream/vision" ending for one of the two participants. This really pulls it off, though - it uses the idea of the crossover to explore the characters' concerns and "present" internal conflicts, using the "other side" to shed new light on each. It's a character piece and a piece concerned with exploring the thematic situations those characters are dealing with or living in, rather than an !Event! (which would, I think, be a far cheaper way of handling a crossover). You both of course have a real way with character, and of handling a lot of meaningful "weighty" concerns, without it ever seeming forced. It's all very natural.

I don't really know what else to say . I hope that's enough. It's one thing to say "I like it!", but I only hope I'm getting at least a fraction of the "why" across.
Old November 3 2010, 02:07 AM   #24
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

NG: .... you are not trying to tell me you want to kill of AU Damar at one point in time, do you?
I was actually referring to a few other characters, whose deaths have already been established in stories already released. The memory of them, however, will live on...and in the story where the deaths occur, it isn't their end. They'll have a good afterlife.

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
I often have difficulty expressing myself in these posts, so sometimes I wish I could just talk to both of you, rather than muddling my way through words like I do. Suffice it to say, I really enjoyed this. It was very well meshed - the two of you really work well together. Thematically, emotionally, etc, it made good use of both "sides" rather than just being a crossover "gimmick" (not that I'd expect either of you to do something as cheap as to labelled a "gimmick" ) I always suppose must be difficult to create meaningful crossovers, particularly when they necessitate an "only remembered as a dream/vision" ending for one of the two participants. This really pulls it off, though - it uses the idea of the crossover to explore the characters' concerns and "present" internal conflicts, using the "other side" to shed new light on each. It's a character piece and a piece concerned with exploring the thematic situations those characters are dealing with or living in, rather than an !Event! (which would, I think, be a far cheaper way of handling a crossover). You both of course have a real way with character, and of handling a lot of meaningful "weighty" concerns, without it ever seeming forced. It's all very natural.

I don't really know what else to say . I hope that's enough. It's one thing to say "I like it!", but I only hope I'm getting at least a fraction of the "why" across.
I'm glad you liked it.

I have seen some "Big Event" type crossovers that worked quite well (and it can be fun to have a Round Robin like that, since sometimes only a "Big Event" can get EVERYONE'S characters together).

That said, the goal we had was very much a personal one for the characters, instead. That was determined from the outset. The other trouble was that I knew I had to do SOMETHING to AU Dukat's memory, but I didn't want to erase it completely. I'm glad it worked out! (Plus, I had also always wanted to write The Sisko's reaction to AU Dukat.)

I'm so glad you liked this story. Believe me...a LOT of blood, sweat, and tears went into it, on both our parts.
Old November 3 2010, 01:07 PM   #25
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Yes, I think that the fact we had a "reason" for them to meet helped with establishing a direction to which the story should go and a goal it should achieve. We had some surprises on the way, but we have survived, both the authors and the characters

Old November 13 2010, 07:29 AM   #26
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Gul, and Nerys...I have neglected untill now to read this work--and I now deeply regret this.

The two of you have crafted a deeply powerful story, filled with deep emotional conflicts and arcs. Stirring, at times tear-inducing...and while, at times, it seemed a little rushed (I'm not sure the good Gul would open up to AU Dukat so soon--even if he does resemble her former superior)--nonetheless, it is a beautiful piece, indeed.

My strongest compliments to you both.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2010, 04:58 PM   #27
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

While I was surprised, as we wrote this, at how soon Jarol opened up to AU Dukat, Jarol was very, very emotionally on edge because of how close she was to the anniversary of her family's death. Technically, she probably shouldn't even have been on duty that day--that's how physically and mentally exhausted she was after that terrible night she had. Basically, her defenses were down.

Oh, and just a tidbit from some other, less formal crossovers I've done. For some reason, I've noticed AU Dukat does have an effect on people. I'm not sure if he fully realizes it, through his own eyes, but I've noticed that people do seem to share what's on their heart, around him. Maybe in a much, much happier universe, AU Dukat should've been a bartender...