Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 1 2010, 10:32 PM   #76
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Boobs are scarier than violence.
Old November 1 2010, 10:46 PM   #77
Dream
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Boobs are scarier than violence.

Yeah, you're right. Boobies like that one are scarier than any zombie.
Old November 1 2010, 11:22 PM   #78
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Well, I was certainly not disappointed; with just a couple of fairly minor nitpicks, I thought this was very well done. It was intelligently and dramatically written, paced for grown-ups and very suspenseful. The special effects were great, too, especially the abandoned city. The Zombies were treated quite compassionately, which was a nice touch; the guy who was unable to "kill" his wife and the mercy "killing" of the half-Zombie woman in the park were very touching. As was the scene of the main character trying to wake himself up when he returned to his house.

The opening scenes in the hospital were indeed very strange. While he obviously wasn't laying there unattended for a whole month, given the state of the hospital, he was certainly there for a long time. I wonder if it has anything to do with the Zombie virus-- he was at death's door, but the virus jump-started him. Or perhaps he is really a Zombie, just not as far gone

My only nitpicks were that he didn't seem to ask a lot of questions about the situation when he met other survivor guy. I'd be looking for details. The other weird thing was that there were no signs of the Internet or cell phones. Using the CB but not looking for a working cell phone or trying the Internet at the police station made it seem like this was set sometime in the past. Although they didn't seem to try regular radio or TV either.
Old November 1 2010, 11:28 PM   #79
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

Zachary Smith wrote: View Post

So when the Zombie Apocalypse happens for real, I will now know that it's your fault.

Well, it's not a "how-to" manual so much as a "what-the-hell-happened!?!" book.
And how did you find out what happened? By experimenting on dead bodies in your evil lab!

Nonsense! I'm a HEALER. I make adjustments to the human spine!

Actually, working out a reasonable explanation as to how something like a "Romero-verse" zombie could possibly exist was quite a lot of fun. When I got insight into the first few pieces though, the whole puzzle rapidly began to fall in place. Frighteningly enough, it's actually kind of REASONABLE, though I don't believe for an instant it could ever actually happen. But the internal logic makes a great deal of cause-and-effect sense. And it's a MUCH more satisfying explanation than, "it's a weird virus"--something which makes absolutely NO sense at all from a scientific or medical point of view.

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 12:02 AM   #80
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

I'm not a really big zombie fan. I've only seen Night of the Living Dead and one of the sequels and that's about it (I did see Shaun of the Dead too and that was great). I tuned in because I heard good things about the comics and the tv series so I decided to check it out and am glad I did. I really enjoyed it. It's probably the best pilot this season. I like that it's character driven instead of just being an excuse to show something sick and gory or to have someone mow zombies down. It made you feel pity for the pour people who have been zombiefied and you don't usually get that in the zombie genre. Usually you're just screaming "kill those mothers...!" Good show, glad to see it did well. I'll be here next week for sure.
Old November 2 2010, 12:02 AM   #81
omegastein
Ensign

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
My only nitpicks were that he didn't seem to ask a lot of questions about the situation when he met other survivor guy. I'd be looking for details. The other weird thing was that there were no signs of the Internet or cell phones. Using the CB but not looking for a working cell phone or trying the Internet at the police station made it seem like this was set sometime in the past. Although they didn't seem to try regular radio or TV either.
I will chalk this up as failed attempts we simply did not see on the show. Even though no specific date has been established, this is definitely not the past. You can 'assume' this by the shot of the in-car police computer.

The specific model shown on AMC's TWD at least establishes the show occurs in a present day timeframe (within a couple years +/-) and that there is internet.
omegastein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 12:06 AM   #82
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

That was not very good--very dull--in fact, I found myself fast forwarding through large swaths of it. I didn't care for the actors, the characters were bland.

And like so many AMC shows it was far tooooooooooo slow especially that one sequence that seemed to go on forever with the sheriff after escaping the hospital wandering about aimlessly.

Won't be sticking with this.
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 12:14 AM   #83
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Your opinion is your opinion, but maybe you should just swear off tv altogether, especially this season.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 12:16 AM   #84
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
Your opinion is your opinion, but maybe you should just swear off tv altogether, especially this season.
Well most television these days is crap but I do try to sample something new in the hopes it just might not be crap--like I said I won't be tuning in anymore to this. I can't help it that I won't settle for any old thing Hollywood decides to put out--too many people have and that is why we end up with the mediocrity we have whether with films, tv, music, art etc.
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 12:54 AM   #85
T'Baio
Admiral

Zachary Smith wrote: View Post
I'm a Doctor of Chiropractic...
See, you lost me right there.

On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 12:55 AM   #86
Tulin
Vice Admiral

USS Avenger wrote: View Post
IRight off the bat the main charactor tells one of his men to make sure there is a round in the chamber, and he has the safety off. The guy is using a GLOCK, there is no manual safety switch! That control he manipulated and click we all heard was the slide release. Also, there were alot of UH-1s in Army colors lying around. Even the National Guard doesn't use the old huey anymore, they got retired over a year ago. The last thing was the "escape hatch" found under the tank that our hero used to get away from the zombies at the end. I am not positive, but I am pretty sure that the M-1 doesn't have an escape hatch on the bottom (any tamkers out there want to help out an ol' 11B on this one?)
Seriously?

Really?!?

Hear that sound?

That's the sound of NOBODY caring!!!
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 12:56 AM   #87
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

"Back in my day, television was called BOOKS!"
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 01:00 AM   #88
Jax
Admiral

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
That was not very good--very dull--in fact, I found myself fast forwarding through large swaths of it. I didn't care for the actors, the characters were bland.

And like so many AMC shows it was far tooooooooooo slow especially that one sequence that seemed to go on forever with the sheriff after escaping the hospital wandering about aimlessly.

Seems you were hoping for action over plot, no thanks.
Old November 2 2010, 01:15 AM   #89
Dream
Admiral

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post

I loved the first episode.

I thought you would give this show at least two episodes. Very few shows have incredible pilots. LOST and 24 are the exceptions to the rule.
Old November 2 2010, 01:18 AM   #90
Aragorn
Admiral

Please don't encourage him.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote