Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 29 2010, 09:49 PM   #61
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane
Re: The Christmas Countdown Thread!

Holdfast wrote: View Post
trekkiedane wrote: View Post
I restrict who I buy presents for, and those I do buy for tend to get the same thing. Well not exactly, but some variation on the theme of a bottle of nice wine or a box of good chocs.
Not many kids or teenagers I know would say thank you like they meant it if they got either of those things.
I don't know any kids or teenagers, and by god, I don't intend to, let alone start buying presents for any of them...!
I've got a teenage nephew and a kid niece and the kid of my best friend (who's a single mum fighting hard to make ends meet) just turned 13 - so I have three of those on my gift-list.
(I'm contemplating giving my nephew a bottle of that 'green herbal wine' his age group seems to like very much these days (he turned 18 earlier this year)). Still have no idea what to give the young teen and the kid this year though.
In any event, I wasn't aware that happiness of the recipient is a key determinant of whether the social ritual of present-giving has been successfully completed.
I'm sure you have a book about it somewhere...
Oh, right...

Actually, on a somewhat more serious note, most people will be as happy with wine/chocs as with anything else I could give them.
Right! -homemade x-mas goodies is the fall-back option (much more personal than any store-bought variations of the same stuff (even if it mostly is (a lot) more expensive).

And on that very same note: I have been making walnut-bitters for a number of years (see my TBBS photo album) and gifted it for x-mas (it actually is quite better than whiskey or brandy -meaning that you can make it at a price-tag of about 10 £/l. and it'll taste A LOT better than most brandies or whiskeys at up to (and probably exceeding) 70 £/l. But you will have to wait a handful of years before it's that good (some people won't drink it if it's younger than 12 years (which, again, is comparable to brandy and whiskey ))
Kreepy Kat wrote: View Post
"What Did You say?"
I like ^that one MUCH better
Old October 29 2010, 11:39 PM   #62
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
(I'm contemplating giving my nephew a bottle of that 'green herbal wine' his age group seems to like very much these days (he turned 18 earlier this year)). Still have no idea what to give the young teen and the kid this year though.
You answer your own question:

And on that very same note: I have been making walnut-bitters for a number of years...

But you will have to wait a handful of years before it's that good (some people won't drink it if it's younger than 12 years )
Perfect. You can give them the booze now, even though they're underage, and just tell them they can't drink it for 12 years.

I'm all about the problem-solving...
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2010, 11:50 PM   #63
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Perfect. You can give them the booze now, even though they're underage, and just tell them they can't drink it for 12 years.

I'm all about the problem-solving...
What a brilliant idea! I'll be the 'uncle' that's just as cool as the aunt that knits the x-mas gifts herself

(Dang! -another one of them new emoticons I thought I'd never have a use for!)
Old October 30 2010, 01:12 AM   #64
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

My choir started learning our Christmas music in September. I don't mind, because it's tough music and we need all the time we can get!

The craft stores in my area (like Michaels and Hobby Lobby) are half full of Christmas stuff- but if you do crafts, now is the time to start.
Old October 30 2010, 03:12 AM   #65
ladyheather69
Captain

I love Christmas! We usually put the tree up the week of Thanksgiving, especially if we have a house full of guests. It puts a warm cozy feeling in the house, at least to us. Since Thanksgiving is later in the month this year, we may go ahead and put it up the weekend before. I have fond memories of decorating the tree and just sitting and staring at the twinkling lights.
We will probably have a challenge this year though... we have a new dog who will be about 6 1/2 months old at Christmas. I am not one to put up a fence or gate around the tree so he can't get at it...so we shall see what happens.
Old October 30 2010, 05:40 AM   #66
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Get a smaller tree and put it up on a table. Works with toddlers, too.
auntiehill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2010, 05:23 PM   #67
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Old October 31 2010, 02:54 PM   #68
Admiral

-55 and happy halloween!

For the past few years, my family's gotten into homemade Xmas and birthday cards (and I've been forced into it to keep up). Not only do I have to come up with ideas for Xmas cards, but my sister's birthday is at the start of January. On the plus side, I've come up with some cool photoshopped cards over the years. On the minus side, ideas are stating to run out.
Old October 31 2010, 09:01 PM   #69
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

^How about adding some decoupage to the cards, which is simply a fancy way of saying "glue some crap on it". Or buy some stickers and dress up whatever card you make with them. Heck, I'll teach you to cross-stitch if you come down here and bring a bottle of wine.
Old October 31 2010, 09:12 PM   #70
ShamelessMcBundy
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ShamelessMcBundy Send a message via Yahoo to ShamelessMcBundy

Well i'm already filling up on "Christmas cheer."
Old November 1 2010, 11:16 AM   #71
Admiral

macghoul wrote: View Post
^How about adding some decoupage to the cards, which is simply a fancy way of saying "glue some crap on it". Or buy some stickers and dress up whatever card you make with them. Heck, I'll teach you to cross-stitch if you come down here and bring a bottle of wine.
Decoupage has been done to death. The create and craft channel was background noise in our house for years. I tried to ignore it, but you subliminally pick things up. I still tease my mother and sister that the correct term isn't "peel off" but "sticker" - it's like telling a graphic novel nut that the correct term is "comic book"

My sister would hate me if I started doing cross-stitch in cards - that's her thing.

Old November 1 2010, 11:35 AM   #72
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I can't really afford Christmas gifts this year, at least not in the traditional sense, so everyone gets muffin baskets that I have baked myself. Blueberry, Pumpkin and Chocolate chip.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 12:20 PM   #73
DBR
Vice Admiral

I'll be getting my youngest dog a hockey jersey and my girlfriend and I are going to the UAE in the spring, which will be our gift. My family will be doing our traditional Xmas eve dinner and board game, Xmas day movie (which will probably be Tron,) and my Mom's boxing day open house on the 26th. And I want to try making sugar plums this year.

*Phew*

Done my Christmas planning. Bring on the next holiday.
Old November 1 2010, 01:04 PM   #74
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

It's never too early to get in the mood for Christmas (and get on the nerves of all those grumpy Christmas-haters ).

Great thread, KingDaniel!
Old November 1 2010, 04:10 PM   #75
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I've already spent over $1200 so I can visit my in-laws over Xmas. 2 cross country plane tickets plus boarding 2 dogs for a week isn't cheap. I'd fill their stockings with coal if I could afford it...
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote