TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 1 2010, 02:17 AM   #16
McCoy
Commodore

Re: AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Me too.
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 02:19 AM   #17
Alex1939
Captain

I'm probably too excited for this show. Can't wait to see what it's all about.
Alex1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 03:19 AM   #18
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

The hospital scene kind of reminds me of 28 days later...with less penis.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 03:24 AM   #19
RoJoHen
Awesome

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
The hospital scene kind of reminds me of 28 days later...with less penis.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old November 1 2010, 05:00 AM   #20
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

I enjoyed the hell out of this. The comic is one of my favorites, and this premiere didn't disappoint. I have high hopes for the rest of the season.
Old November 1 2010, 05:04 AM   #21
Zombie
Fleet Captain

Anyone see the broadcast quality?

I just got home a few minutes ago and flipped on the repeat showing of it and it looked terrible. I thought I was watching a very low res show that was blown up to letter box size.

I hope it's just a fluke on this rebroadcast......
Old November 1 2010, 05:11 AM   #22
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Zombie wrote: View Post
Anyone see the broadcast quality?

I just got home a few minutes ago and flipped on the repeat showing of it and it looked terrible. I thought I was watching a very low res show that was blown up to letter box size.

I hope it's just a fluke on this rebroadcast......
Well, I watched it on AMC HD, and it looked alright, but AMC HD is generally pretty terrible, compared to other HD channels... which are generally pretty terrible compared to, say, bluray. I wasn't expecting it to blow me away, since I've never been impressed with AMC HD.
Old November 1 2010, 05:17 AM   #23
RoJoHen
Awesome

I enjoyed it a lot, but yeah, the quality was weird. There was a weird distortion at the very top of my screen, and the picture wasn't as clear as I expect current TV to be. It honestly looked like I was watching a VHS tape.
Old November 1 2010, 05:21 AM   #24
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Broadcast looked fine to me. This premier had some really good elements to it like that hospital scene and how he was in and out of consciousness when his partner came with the flowers. I wonder how much time had transpired.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 05:24 AM   #25
Zombie
Fleet Captain

Not RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I enjoyed it a lot, but yeah, the quality was weird. There was a weird distortion at the very top of my screen, and the picture wasn't as clear as I expect current TV to be. It honestly looked like I was watching a VHS tape.
That's it!

It looked like a crappy old VCR tape. One that you've had forever and played a million times so it starts looking ragged on screen.

I wasn't expecting HD but at least it could look as normal as the rest of AMC normally does.
Old November 1 2010, 05:27 AM   #26
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

I watched it and enjoyed the hell out of it. Picture was perfectly clear here. As to the "waking in the hospital/28 days later connection" I understand BOTH are tributes to the opening of "The Day of the Triffids". "The Walking Dead" is NOT ripping off "28 Days Later".

I enjoyed this episode a lot. The emotional panorama ran the spectrum, up to and including even having a moment to feel pity for one of the zombies. I think there's great promise here. My sole complaint was about the clocks in the hospital and it is nit-picking of the highest order. MOST wall clocks are battery operated these days and therefore it is extremely unlikely that more than one clock will stop at the same time. If you want to assume the clocks are electric, well, the LIGHTS were on in a lot of places so, unless there's a particular "wall-clock" breaker somewhere in the engineering room, SOME of the clocks should have continued ticking.

Picky, picky, picky, I know but sometimes lil'shit like that devils me.

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 05:48 AM   #27
Agent Richard07
Retired

I enjoyed this quite a bit. And yeah, you do feel for those zombies. They're portrayed like people in a lot of pain, especially that one that was crawling in the park. The part near the end where whatshisface was under the tank surrounded by zombies had me on the edge of my seat. I was wondering how he'd get out of that scrape. I'm looking forward to more. Whatshisface has to get back to his son and wife who's now taken up with his former partner and there seems to be a community out there under military protection. I didn't catch where it was. Nevada? I wonder if they'll get there only to find out that it's been taken by the disease. I don't know if we'll ever find out what exactly happened, but somehow it doesn't matter. It looks like it'll be a good ride.

Frankenvorta wrote: View Post
Maybe BSG would have been better if the Cylons were zombies?
I had the same thought during the show. What if the cylons were zombies?

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
Broadcast looked fine to me. This premier had some really good elements to it like that hospital scene and how he was in and out of consciousness when his partner came with the flowers. I wonder how much time had transpired.
Yeah, how much time did pass? Also, how did whatshisface survive in the hospital without nourishment and without being found by the zombies?
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 05:51 AM   #28
RoJoHen
Awesome

Well, he was clearly weak and dehydrated, which is why we see him stumble to the sink to get some water. Not sure how long he was actually unconscious. Judging from the flowers, maybe a couple weeks.
Old November 1 2010, 06:09 AM   #29
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I liked it. Yes, that will do very nicely. Will be tuning in next week. Instead of Mad Men from the 60s, I'll take Georgian zombies from the 2010s for the win.

So, did the kiss between the partner and the wife just happen because of the stress of the situation and them thinking he was dead--or were they carrying on before? I'd like to think not. The partner could have lost his wife to the virus (they weren't getting along, obviously, if he was going batshit over lights) and he seems to care for his friend. But his lines at the beginning (they're repeating it again believe it or not) about it "just being a phase" could be manifesting guilt over sleeping with his friend's wife.

The broadcast quality was just fine here in Oklahoma City. I didn't know the actor who played the sheriff was English. He looks like Owen Wilson. What's his character's name? Will? How odd that I can't recall what it is. Did anyone ever actually say his first name?

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 06:11 AM   #30
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Not RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Well, he was clearly weak and dehydrated, which is why we see him stumble to the sink to get some water. Not sure how long he was actually unconscious. Judging from the flowers, maybe a couple weeks.
Some of the dialogue suggested about a month had passed since the infection first popped up. I'm going to ignore how the main character was able to even walk after not being fed or taken care of because I generally enjoyed the rest of it, stupid "WTF are you doing going into an urban center after a zombie apocalypse?!?!?!" moments aside.

I hope Lennie James shows up again--he was great in tonight's episode.