New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 15 2010, 02:52 AM   #106
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Re: Is Netflix a Rip-off?

Netflix is awesome.

We've never had problems with the mailing system, and the unlimited on-line access is great.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2010, 03:03 AM   #107
DieselFreak
Ensign

I love Netflix. My dad even works for Redbox (The red machines at Wal-Mart with $1 DVD rentals) and we both use Netflix, even though my dad has about a good 1200 DVD's laying around our house that are supposed to be going in and out of machines.
DieselFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2010, 03:10 AM   #108
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

^ You're right, and I didn't even notice. Fortunately, I'm happy enough with all the seasons of Better Off Ted, every season of King of the Hill, Family Guy, American Dad, Married With Children, The Office (UK & US), and Dead Like Me.

I love the fact that Netflix has so many TV series. I love movies, but it's nice to watch TV episodes in HD and all at once if I like.

DieselFreak wrote: View Post
I love Netflix. My dad even works for Redbox (The red machines at Wal-Mart with $1 DVD rentals) and we both use Netflix, even though my dad has about a good 1200 DVD's laying around our house that are supposed to be going in and out of machines.
Hey, Redbox is awesome too. If I just want to watch a new release for a night, I go half a block up the road, rent it, watch it and bring it back the next day, all for $1.

1001001 wrote: View Post
Netflix is awesome.

We've never had problems with the mailing system, and the unlimited on-line access is great.

My entertainment budget is shiveringly small, and $8 a month gives me DVDs and thousands of hours of instant streaming TV series' and movies right at my fingertips. If this is the way things are going, bring it on!
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2010, 03:12 AM   #109
Sisko_is_my_captain
Captain

I've been back on netflix for about a year now (previously had it in college 8 years ago*, but it was damaging my productivity, so I cancelled). I started off with the 3 discs at once deal, but I was unemployed and turned into a power user, so they throttled me down. I used to have a 2-3 day turnaround, but it was getting to 4-5 days - quite ridiculous. In recent months, I've been mainly streaming from them, so I changed back to a 1 disc at a time plan. I essentially don't watch cable any more. I can stream almost anything I want.

My only complaints are scratched discs (seriously, people who rub gravel on their discs and talk in theaters should be raped by grizzly bears), the aforementioned throttling, and lack of series I want to watch (currently: House) on instant view.

I also dislike the privacy policy over at Netflix, as you can't clear your viewing history. I'm not complaining because I want to watch a bunch of NC-17 crap. I just want to have the freedom to keep track of my viewing history as I see fit, and to be able to have a little privacy if my wife and I watch something not so appropriate for our parents or kids.

That said, I've really scored on seeing entire series I missed on first runs:
Buffy
Angel
X-Files (most of it)
SG-1
SG-A
SG-U
Terminator: SCC
Deadwood S2, S3
John Adams
Northern Exposure
House

You know, unemployment / college is actually good for something. lol

*Wow, the notion of having had an internet service almost a decade ago suddenly makes me feel really old.

"Don't blame me - I voted for Kodos the Executioner."
Sisko_is_my_captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2010, 10:42 PM   #110
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

RedBox competition streaming

Netflix will have a competitor next year:
Redbox unveiled Thursday a new digital strategy that by next year will expand the number of movies offered to consumers directly in their homes
The company is in talks with several potential partners for this expansion, which will include a Web-based service
analyst Eric Wold of Merriman Capital recently said in a research note that Wal-Mart and Amazon.com are top prospects.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...e-rentals.html

Redbox says in talks for 2011 movie streaming

Redbox Moves to the Web Next Year

jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2010, 11:10 PM   #111
Whofan
Fleet Captain

Anybody know why they aren't carrying the blu-rays of, among others, SW Clone Wars season 2, Back to the Future and the Alien films?
Whofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2010, 11:40 PM   #112
Harvey
Admiral

Don't they have a deal with most of the major studios not to carry new releases for a certain window, and in exchange they get to have more streaming titles?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2010, 11:51 PM   #113
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

^ Correct. Netflix has a 28-day delayed window for 20th Century Fox, Universal, and Time Warner releases.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2010, 11:52 PM   #114
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

In return, those of us who pay $8 for unlimited streaming gets a win/win!
Old October 31 2010, 12:01 AM   #115
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Yes. It's a decent deal.
Old October 31 2010, 12:02 AM   #116
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Meh, I have a Blu-Ray that streams Netflix. I'm not buying something else to get Redbox. If they can't adapt to me then they don't have my business.

I just got my Netflix streaming set up and have been enjoying it. I streamed a movie last night(Descent 2) while getting a disc(Agora) in the mail. If that's not a 2 at a time 'esque plan while only paying for the one at a time for $8 I don't know what is.

The 30 day window that Blockbuster has means nothing to me. I wait 5-7 months for a movie on DVD what's another 30 days. Especially since my queue/steam is loaded up to keep me busy till that 30 days has passed.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2010, 12:04 AM   #117
J. Allen
Best Pony™

^ Yep. I have 381 movies in my queue, so I have tons of movies to watch at any time, including the complete series of Family Guy, American Dad, King of the Hill, etc., lots to watch, and my one DVD ("Up in the Air" - fun movie by the way) on my desk.
Old October 31 2010, 12:11 AM   #118
Skywalker
Admiral

Yeah, there's so much stuff to watch on Netflix Instant now that the additional wait for certain new releases really isn't an issue.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2010, 12:12 AM   #119
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
^ Yep. I have 381 movies in my queue, so I have tons of movies to watch at any time, including the complete series of Family Guy, American Dad, King of the Hill, etc., lots to watch, and my one DVD ("Up in the Air" - fun movie by the way) on my desk.
381? HA. That's nothing.
I hit the limit. 500 in the queue. Then you can't add anymore... bastards.
Old October 31 2010, 12:13 AM   #120
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
381? HA. That's nothing.
I hit the limit. 500 in the queue. Then you can't add anymore... bastards.
They raised the limit? Great! It was 400, and why I have kept my queue below that number for so long.