Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 29 2010, 05:58 PM   #16
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Re: Alien Anthology (Blu-Ray release) review thread

Not RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I almost bought it today, but I didn't realize it was so expensive! I'm not paying $100 for 4 movies. I don't care how pretty they are.
There's also 50+ hours of extras. Not that I'd actually watch all 50 hours, but I would definitely watch the documentaries about the making of each movie.
Old October 29 2010, 06:38 PM   #17
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

I almost bought it today, but I didn't realize it was so expensive! I'm not paying $100 for 4 movies. I don't care how pretty they are.
I paid £70 for the first DVD set, since most films were £20 each, it seemed a pretty good deal for 5 discs.

Then the 9 disc set came along for £50, it was very good deal.

The BluRay set I can get for £35. It's just getting silly.

Mind you I suffered extra fatique by the end of the 8th DVD disc. Not sure I'm ready for the new set yet!
Old October 29 2010, 08:38 PM   #18
RoJoHen
Awesome

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
There's also 50+ hours of extras. Not that I'd actually watch all 50 hours, but I would definitely watch the documentaries about the making of each movie.
See, extra features have never been a selling point for me. I almost never watch them.

I honestly think I might wait 10 years or so when they come out with the super ultimate Alien and Predator box set that contain every single movie for both franchises. It's bound to happen sooner or later.
Old October 29 2010, 08:46 PM   #19
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

In terms of PQ, Aliens is remarkable. Yes, DNR has been applied - but most skillfully IMO. We now have a very natural and filmic veneer of grain as opposed to previous home video versions apparently having been "sandpapered" prior to transfer! But rest assured, the DNR used is NOT to the detriment of detail. Easily the best this movie has ever looked.
Old November 1 2010, 06:48 PM   #20
LitmusDragon
Commodore

^ Agree. Finally picked it up this weekend and Aliens looks really great.

I guess we all know this already but Alien and Aliens both have some remarkable F/X for their period. This is especially noticeable now on the Blu-ray and on the larger TV I have nowadays. I'm not sure how Cameron pulled off some of the creature sequences he did back then without CG. I guess I'll find out on the making-of.

Something I picked up on this time that I had never noticed before- and maybe I'm just crazy- but do you think that the sort-of odd way that Ripley is cupping one of her hands towards her face here in the final shot of Alien (link) is a visual callback to the facehugger? Certainly seemed that way to me on this watch-through. There's another shot from directly above the hypersleep chamber where it's more noticeable but I couldn't find it on the intertubes.

Last edited by LitmusDragon; November 1 2010 at 08:45 PM.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 08:37 PM   #21
Kirkman1987
Commodore

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
See, extra features have never been a selling point for me. I almost never watch them.

I honestly think I might wait 10 years or so when they come out with the super ultimate Alien and Predator box set that contain every single movie for both franchises. It's bound to happen sooner or later.
They did release that box set, although it lacked the vast majority of the special features so was a pointless release for hardcore fans.

As much as I love the first Predator Movie, that franchise can't compete at all with Alien.

I haven't gone Blu yet, but All the talk this week made me revisit a few of the films on my Quad set.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 08:51 PM   #22
RoJoHen
Awesome

The Invisible Kirkman wrote: View Post
They did release that box set
Since they are still making both Alien and Predator movies, I would have to say that they did not.
Old November 1 2010, 08:56 PM   #23
crouteru
Captain

Just watched the uncut version of the Alien 3 documentary and I found it... unremarkable. I mean, the documentary is good, it gives an honest and candid portrayal of the difficulties making the film, but the restored footage is basically Fincher cursing FOX on camera.
crouteru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 09:42 PM   #24
Kirkman1987
Commodore

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
The Invisible Kirkman wrote: View Post
They did release that box set
Since they are still making both Alien and Predator movies, I would have to say that they did not.
At the time it was complete, but I see what you mean.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 01:03 AM   #25
Tulin
Vice Admiral

crouteru wrote: View Post
Just watched the uncut version of the Alien 3 documentary and I found it... unremarkable. I mean, the documentary is good, it gives an honest and candid portrayal of the difficulties making the film, but the restored footage is basically Fincher cursing FOX on camera.
Are the documentaries on the new set any different to the ones on the quad set?
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2010, 06:26 PM   #26
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Tulin wrote: View Post
crouteru wrote: View Post
Are the documentaries on the new set any different to the ones on the quad set?
The original documentaries are included but there's lots of new stuff as well. linky

As you all know, there is MUCH new content here as well, created or upgraded specifically for Blu-ray. First of all, there are the new isolated score tracks for each film. Next, in the Quadrilogy set, about 100 of director Ridley Scott's original Ridleygram sketches were inaccessible due to an authoring error. They're ALL now available here. And in fact, the Ridleygrams - and indeed ALL of the artwork, photographs, sketches and other material from the Quad - are upgraded here to full high-def, so you're going to get a better look at them than ever before. As many of you know, the original Alien³ documentary from the Quad set, Wreckage and Rage, was censored by Fox back in 2003, with some 21 minutes cut prior to release - footage detailing director David Fincher's struggles and frustrations on the set. You'll be pleased to know that ALL of that lost footage been restored, making this the most complete version of the documentary to date. On top of that, each of the four feature-length, "making of" documentaries from the Quad set have been enhanced with scores of additional Enhancement Pod featurettes - nearly 4 hours' worth of material over the whole set. This includes great interview stories and anecdotes by cast and crew members, unused outtake footage and more. There's a piece on the influence of Jodorowsky's aborted Dune project on the Alien films, a piece in which Giger describes his philosophy, a piece in which actor Jon Finch talks about how he was originally cast as Kane but couldn't play the part - just great stuff.
Old November 22 2010, 05:50 PM   #27
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Alien Anthology (Blu-Ray release) on sale

Amazon also has the Alien Anthology [Blu-ray] Alien Anthology Blu-ray Collection on sale this week for $70.49, This deal is good through November 27th 2010.
in case you were wondering Best Buy currently has the Blu-ray of the anthology for $109.

via
http://www.slashfilm.com/geek-deal-a...s-classics-56/
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 05:58 PM   #28
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Alien Anthology (Blu-Ray release) on sale

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post

in case you were wondering Best Buy currently has the Blu-ray of the anthology for $109.

via
http://www.slashfilm.com/geek-deal-a...s-classics-56/
That's just their normal price. They had it on sale for about $80 when it first came out.
Old November 22 2010, 08:48 PM   #29
Candlelight
Admiral

Re: Alien Anthology (Blu-Ray release) on sale

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Alien-...-Blu-ray/5090/

Currently $70!
Old November 22 2010, 08:50 PM   #30
RoJoHen
Awesome

Whaaaaaaat? Dammit, now I might have to buy it.