Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 25 2010, 12:22 AM   #76
Mark Boeder
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: The latest "Alien" prequel rumours - Scott directing, in 3-D?

If this is the same script that leaked a few months ago (and it sounds like it is), then I have a hard time understanding why it would cost so much to make. It reads more like a '70's indie film than a big-budget, Hollywood blockbuster. Very similiar in tone to the original film, in fact.

- Mark
Mark Boeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2010, 12:48 AM   #77
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Everything costs more that it did in the 70's for one.

And, that synopsis sounds fishy.
Old October 25 2010, 01:26 AM   #78
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Ridley Scott's Alien prequel script leaks (Major spoilers!)

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Ridley Scott's Alien prequel script leaks (Major spoilers!)
http://blastr.com/2010/10/major-spoilers-ridley-sco.php
I'm kind of hoping that is false.

Old October 25 2010, 05:01 AM   #79
Mark Boeder
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Everything costs more that it did in the 70's for one.

And, that synopsis sounds fishy.
We're not talking AVATAR here. $250 million is an awful lot for just about any film, though it's not so bad if it's actually being spread across two movies.

The synopsis matches up with the script I read earlier this summer, although their summation was a little snarkier than I would have liked. Also, the few public comments that Ridley's made since then also match up with it. And finally, I doubt Fox would have had it pulled if it weren't the real deal.

Of course, we know it's gone through some (possibly significant) rewriting, and I have no idea what changes were made since Damon Lindelof came aboard.

- Mark
Mark Boeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2010, 08:18 AM   #80
Gaith
Rear Admiral

My remarks from the other Alien thread:

I really hope Scott doesn't explain the alien ship or the Space Jockey. I'm all for expanding universes, but some things - such as Yoda's origins or how Superman shaves - are best left to the imagination. Also, I agree with Weaver's recent comments that trying to make a "new Ripley" is kind of lame - I love the Ripley character, of course, but why not have a different, even male protagonist, next time?

I'd most like to see a post-Aliens movie that ignores all but the first two movies and shows us a totally different aspect of the universe, with a similar look and feel, but a different kind of story, maybe well without the Aliens at all. Of course, that does pretty well describe Avatar... (the tech and corporations parts, that is.)
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2010, 09:42 AM   #81
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

If it's a prequel then it won't have Ripley. At least not Ellen Ripley.
Old October 31 2010, 09:54 AM   #82
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Weaver/I meant "new Ripley" metaphorically.
Old October 31 2010, 06:05 PM   #83
Pauln6
Commodore

I hope the current rumour about casting for Ripley means this movie's version of Ripley, not the actual character... that would seriously suck... almost as much as killing Hicks and Newt. This is a prequel not a reboot, right?

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 01:20 AM   #84
The Wormhole
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
but why not have a different, even male protagonist, next time?
Isn't a female protaginist one of the trademarks of the Alien franchise? Hell, even the AvP movies adhered to that.
Old November 1 2010, 01:53 AM   #85
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Weaver:

I think probably he's better off not trying to create a new Ripley in the prequel. I think he should surprise the audience and maybe get away from it being quite like that. He's really going to have to reinvent, not only the creature, but the whole hierarchy of people. Maybe one of the ways of doing that is to have a different focus. I don't know, it's interesting. You're going to have to make some real changes, so that things aren't compared. I think it's better to start fresh.
QFT.
Old November 1 2010, 02:02 PM   #86
Tulin
Vice Admiral

I wish Weaver had that kind of insight when she suggested the following she wanted for the Ripley character,

1. Ripley be bald
2. Ripley have sex with the alien
3. Ripley dies

Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 03:34 PM   #87
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
I really hope Scott doesn't explain the alien ship or the Space Jockey.
He actually saion the Alien commentary track way back when that if they did another Alien movie it should be about that race, which was a trifle tongue-in-cheek (which in itself may cast doubts on the validity of this I dunno).

And my two cents... honestly, why not? Is there some kind of rule that the Alien movies should only feature this one speicifc alien species? The only issue to me is whether or not they're able to execute it in an effective manner - in the original film (which I watched again last night as I am wont to do on Halloween) there's little surprise at coming into contact with aliens, but there's also a chasm of incomprehension.

If the Star Trek franchise is about going out into space, confronting the unknown and discovering it can be not too dissimilar to ourselves, then Alien is about discovering the horrible and inexplicable and incomprehensible in the skies beyond (that is, "The Corbomite Manuver" would end wth Balok eating the Enterprise crew, to use an awkward analogy). The Growers don't have to be malicious or cruel, but they do have to be strange and difficult to understand and communicate with.

I don't even necessarily object to 'men have sex but can't reproduce', since of course, a man is impregnated via fellatio and then gives birth via a rather messy Caesarean... not to mention the attempted rape-by-magazine by Ash on Ripley and the generally sexual undertones of Giger's designs. Body horror and uncomfortable and bizarre sexual practices are kind of iconically relevant to this franchise. Just got to be handled as pretty screwed up, really.

I love the Ripley character, of course, but why not have a different, even male protagonist, next time?
Because if there's one thing sci-fi films really lack, it's male protagonists.
Old November 1 2010, 03:40 PM   #88
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Tulin wrote: View Post
I wish Weaver had that kind of insight when she suggested the following she wanted for the Ripley character,

1. Ripley be bald
2. Ripley have sex with the alien
3. Ripley dies

two out of three ain't bad. I don't know why people rend their garments over A3. It wasn't that bad before the 'proper' version came out on dvd and that was excellent.
Old November 1 2010, 06:20 PM   #89
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ What makes it so, iyho? What does it add to the series? What has it got to say?
Old November 1 2010, 06:57 PM   #90
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
I love the Ripley character, of course, but why not have a different, even male protagonist, next time?
Because if there's one thing sci-fi films really lack, it's male protagonists.
I agree that it'd be great to have more sci-fi heroines, but I'm not at all sure that insisting that each Alien movie be female-centric is the answer, or even helpful. If an Alien prequel were to center upon a Ripley variant, I could easily see other sci-fi moviemakers avoiding female protagonists for fear of looking like an Alien ripoff.