RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,707
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 836
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 24 2010, 02:03 AM   #16
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Steven Spielberg to Direct Robopocalypse

Robocopalypse: The Story of Delta City!
Old October 24 2010, 10:56 PM   #17
Ubik
Commodore

Spielberg directing a sci-fi movie? Awesome. In that genre, he's been extremely successful. How can anyone not be excited about the man who directed Close Encounters, E.T., Jurassic Park, A.I., Minority Report, and War of the Worlds, directing a big-budget post-apocalypse movie? The only mediocre sf movie he's ever made is Lost World. Not a bad track record at all.

Oh, and the title? It's awful. And yes, I think, even though it's based on a book, they should change the title. (A.I. was not the title of the original short story it was based on; Blade Runner is not the title of its source material - why not change the title?)
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2010, 11:02 PM   #18
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Ubik wrote: View Post
Spielberg directing a sci-fi movie? Awesome. In that genre, he's been extremely successful. How can anyone not be excited about the man who directed Close Encounters, E.T., Jurassic Park, A.I., Minority Report, and War of the Worlds....
Is why.
Old October 25 2010, 04:24 AM   #19
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Spielberg doing a sci-fi movie: win.
Pretty much anyone doing yet another movie about robots and apocalypses: almost certain not win.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2010, 09:41 AM   #20
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Roboapocolypse is indeed based on a book and a really hot spec that I believe sold for big money earlier this year. Steven is attached to multiple projects though so who knows when this will come out, I assume that he'll want to go into production on this after he's all finished with "War Horse".

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2010, 07:43 PM   #21
Pingfah
Admiral

FormerLurker wrote: View Post

It's no Aliens Vs Predator. (wait, that was a decent film)
It really wasn't.

- Richard "Richie" Richard
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2010, 08:06 PM   #22
Ubik
Commodore

Screecher4747 wrote: View Post
Ubik wrote: View Post
Spielberg directing a sci-fi movie? Awesome. In that genre, he's been extremely successful. How can anyone not be excited about the man who directed Close Encounters, E.T., Jurassic Park, A.I., Minority Report, and War of the Worlds....
Is why.
Hmm. Weird. As a lover of both film and science fiction, and knowing how few thoughtful science fiction films exist, I honestly believe that both A.I and Minority Report are two of the most compelling, intelligent, and layered science fiction films I've ever seen. And War of the Worlds, like Jurassic Park, is a most entertaining and terrifying bit of nonsense, which, when done well, is always welcome. Oh well. To each his own. I also believe that Munich was a masterpiece. So, when Spielberg is on, he still creates stuff as wonderful as when he was younger, as far as I'm concerned.

And true, a robot uprising hardly feels original (haven't Terminator and BSG basically covered all that?), which leads me to believe there's something different about the way this book handles it. There must be - otherwise, Spielberg would likely not have chosen to do it (he turns down easy successes like Harry Potter all the time, as a director.)
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2010, 12:16 AM   #23
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

This is the first of a few Robot movies coming down the pipe...Jack Black is attached to something called "How to Survive a Robot Uprising" that was just announced a couple weeks ago.

Old October 26 2010, 01:24 AM   #24
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Even when Spielberg is off his game his films are at least entertaining. He's earned my trust for life.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2010, 01:53 AM   #25
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Well Ebert will be giving this a thumbs down, with his line of reasoning being "why did the director who made a movie about a nice robot boy make a movie about robot wars," which is what happened when Ebert tried to compare War of the Worlds to E.T.
Hardly. He did a great deal better than that.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/.../50606007/1023

He did, however, reference a great deal of Spielberg's previous work in eviscerating the thing on the basis of story logic and plot.

Ebert's one of a dying breed - American movie reviewers who know something about film and the history of film, have lived lives and don't think bloviating into a webcam for posting to YouTube constitutes a body of work.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2010, 02:14 AM   #26
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Ebert's reviews are must reads for me. I don't always agree with Roger but respect his ability to break down a film and give me a sense of his thoughts on it and that's really all I care about with a review.

Old October 28 2010, 08:58 AM   #27
FormerLurker
Captain

Pingfaaaaaarrrgghh wrote: View Post

It really wasn't.
You left out the rest of the list. Compared to them, it was.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2010, 09:15 AM   #28
Pingfah
Admiral

Pingfaaaaaarrrgghh wrote: View Post

It really wasn't.
You left out the rest of the list. Compared to them, it was.
It doesn't become a decent film just because you put it in a list with a few terrible ones. It may be a better film, but not a decent one.

- Richard "Richie" Richard
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2010, 06:59 AM   #29
FormerLurker
Captain

You're leaving out the fact that the only films in contention in my post are the films in my post. Decent film is in comparison to the rest listed, not the rest of all creation.

And considering that AVP is better than about half of all films made, that makes it a decent film. At least compared to half of all films made.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2012, 04:45 AM   #30
Dream
Admiral

Steven Spielberg Casts ‘Robopocalypse’ Leading Man: Chris Hemsworth

Thor will play the main character! Looks like they are going to at least try to be serious with this movie...