TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old October 22 2010, 05:33 AM   #16
robtclements
Lieutenant

View robtclements's Twitter Profile
Re: Would it really matter if the next Trek series were on linear TV?

Dennis wrote: View Post
If that's (ahem) true, is it because people who like entertainment other than "Sci Fi" are more willing to pay for it, or simply that there are so many more of them? Neither is much of an argument in favor of sf.
Probably more due to the fact the things nerds like in SF - stories, characterisation, ever romance - aren't what studios want in SF - product placement, viciousness, expansive plastic surgery. I'd pay to see Stephen Fry as a Klingon - they want me to pay to see Will Ferrell as Jim-Luke Packard. It ain't happening

This may (or may not be) good for SF. It's bad for the studios. I have more money to spend than kids & they ain't getting it
robtclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2010, 03:40 AM   #17
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

robtclements wrote: View Post
Frankenvorta wrote: View Post
Can anyone else remember which film proved the franchise was dead when it crushed ST:N in the box office?
iirc, it was Maid in America with Jennifer Lopez
Almost the correct answer (it was actually called Maid in Manhattan). You win absolutely nothing....

(I'm no Nemesis fan, by the way, though i thought Insurrection was badly underrated. But this explains why Paramount can afford to be so lazy - they're still making good money off what is generally considered a failure. Why be creative?)
That disaster is what motivated their sorry asses to stop being so lazy, when they realized that they were frakking up a valuable franchise so badly that a dumbass Jennifer Lopez vehicle could beat them. Either that, or JJ Abrams just waltzed into their offices one day and offered to solve all their problems because he had a hankering to make a Star Trek flick.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2010, 04:41 AM   #18
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

what studios want in SF - product placement, viciousness, expansive plastic surgery. I'd pay to see Stephen Fry as a Klingon - they want me to pay to see Will Ferrell as Jim-Luke Packard. It ain't happening

Uh - wha? That's got nothing to do with the entertainment industry on this planet.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2010, 09:21 AM   #19
robtclements
Lieutenant

what studios want in SF - product placement, viciousness, expansive plastic surgery. I'd pay to see Stephen Fry as a Klingon - they want me to pay to see Will Ferrell as Jim-Luke Packard. It ain't happening

Uh - wha? That's got nothing to do with the entertainment industry on this planet.
Quite true. Which is why the US film industry is an expensive irrelevancy - it can't tell stories & can't make profits. Also why i'm actually happy there won't be a DS9 film. Rather nothing than a travesty

Still think Fry would make a great Klingon, though. Don't you agree?
Old October 24 2010, 08:30 PM   #20
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Regarding Hulu's subscription-based offering Hulu Plus possibly offering a short-term promotional price of $4.99/month
the L.A. Times mentions this week:
Fox, is looking to protect DVD sales and exact top dollar for the programs in syndication, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. Exposure on Hulu, Fox fears, would devalue the worth of the shows.
So I guess even if a new Trek series weren't on a linear TV channel CBS Home Video would feel the same way?
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2010, 01:40 AM   #21
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Quite true. Which is why the US film industry is an expensive irrelevancy - it can't tell stories & can't make profits
And you misread.

Everybody's out of step but Johnny.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2010, 02:07 AM   #22
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I'd find a way to watch it for free.
This.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2010, 05:56 AM   #23
robtclements
Lieutenant

Everybody's out of step but Johnny.
Not really. I'm just part of the large block of one-time filmgoer that has been alienated by screen-stealing garbage like Saw VII 3D. Traditional story-telling with real acting is what i pay to see in the cinema; & i'm no longer getting that from US films (unless they're made by indies or corporate mavericks like Mark Cuban)

The collapse of Trek was reflective of Hollywood's retreat from the broader audience. Instead of being good counter-programming (always the franchise's strength), it tried to make itself as vapid as the programmes it was thought it was competing with; & lost the fan while not attracting the non-fan over to the cause. Yet the continuing - annoying, to the non-fan - circulation of the five shows & ten core pictures (i'm not counting the reboot) makes it clear that there's still an audience for tradition Trek scifi, if the studios could just get their heads out of the Rotten Tomatoes self-fulfilling prophecy

I can - & often will - send myself up; but i won't waste my money & time on third-rate entertainment
Old October 25 2010, 07:44 PM   #24
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Well if they did that than uTorrent would be getting some use.

Star Trek is a business, not a charity. I won't be donating my money to it in order for it to survive in the real world. If it isn't strong enough to stand on its on two feet as a TV show than it doesn't deserve to be a TV show.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2010, 08:01 PM   #25
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Well if they did that than uTorrent would be getting some use.

Star Trek is a business, not a charity. I won't be donating my money to it in order for it to survive in the real world. If it isn't strong enough to stand on its on two feet as a TV show than it doesn't deserve to be a TV show.
No one said Star Trek is a charity. You effectively just said you would rather steal Star Trek and let it die than pay the business for the time/money it put into creating entertainment for you.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2010, 08:09 PM   #26
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

No, I said I would be willing to pay what I already pay to watch other TV shows (cable). I won't pay extra for Star Trek.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2010, 08:24 PM   #27
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

If you don't want to pay for a pay-per-view show, then don't watch. Just because you pay for cable doesn't give you the right to steal shows not on cable.

Do you also download HBO shows(assuming you don't subscribe to HBO)? Or if you subscribe to HBO insert Showtime/Starz/another premium you don't pay for.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2010, 04:42 PM   #28
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Dennis please keep your piracy ideas to yourself.
It also violates TrekBBS Illegal Content rules.

This thread discusses if Trek were not on a linear TV channel how CBS Television would distribute and if you were willing to pay for Trek via download/streaming options. CBS Television would get a fee from you.
Old November 6 2010, 04:41 PM   #29
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Dennis please keep your piracy ideas to yourself.
It also violates TrekBBS Illegal Content rules.

This thread discusses if Trek were not on a linear TV channel how CBS Television would distribute and if you were willing to pay for Trek via download/streaming options. CBS Television would get a fee from you.
I'd steal it, I make no apologies.

Currently I have about twenty-five hundred dollars worth of Star Trek in Blu-Ray/DVD and pay one-hundred and sixty dollars a month for cable programming. 'Pay-per-View' Star Trek would be the last straw for me, Paramount has already wrung every last penny possible from the fan-base. Charging twice as much for DVD releases as other studio's for comparable material.

Enough is enough.

A micro-transaction strategy by Paramount in regards to Star Trek would guarantee it being shunted to obscurity.
Old November 8 2010, 05:23 PM   #30
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

from a blog post last week:
In what I think will become the dominant trend, Mattel are creating their own programming and going public with it via Hulu.
Hudsun Media’s CEO Michael Rourke.

“What we are doing with Mattel and Genuine Ken is a complete game changer, ” said Rourke. We have created a wildly compelling, network-quality reality show that, for the first time, can be distributed directly to the viewer in a non-traditional but very effective way.”
8-episode online reality show, Genuine Ken: The Search for the Great American Boyfriend. The kicker, each episode is a full 22-minutes—the same length as a half-hour TV show

To be sure, a competition reality show with 20-something bachelors isn’t exactly kids fare. So just who is this series aimed at? “The series is targeted to grown-up girls and boys,” Mattel’s Michelle Chidoni informs us.
To host the show, the producers tapped rising fashion icon, and reality star, Whitney Port
Who Needs TV Networks?
November 4th, 2010
http://news.tubefilter.tv/2010/10/29...right-to-hulu/
via

This is the kind of direct-to-Hulu (or Direct-to-Netflix or Direct-to-youtube) i'm talking about where a network may not be involved for broadcasting the show. Would the budget be there for Star Trek?

BillJ wrote: View Post
jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
I have about twenty-five hundred dollars worth of <i>Star Trek</i> in Blu-Ray/DVD and pay one-hundred and sixty dollars a month for cable programming.
wow BillJ that is some Trek library. I assume you are talking <u>original</u> suggested retail price.<br />
<br />
$160./month for cable television is really a lot (if that does not include a monthly internet access fee).<br />
<br />
You may want to consider trying a month with Hulu (free), and a Netflix account if you are <u>not</u> a major sports fan. I'm only suggesting it. No need to flame me.<br />
also BillJ <see this thread:<br />
<b><a href="http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=47612" target="_blank">Is Netflix a Rip-off?</a></b><br />
<br />
Obviously live programs such as sports and news are not conducive to the Netflix, Hulu, iTunes Store options.

Last edited by jefferiestubes8; November 8 2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: add blog post