Spoilers TP: Zero Sum Game by David Mack Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Oct 21, 2010.

?

How would you rate Zero Sum Game?

1. Outstanding

42 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. Above Average

83 vote(s)
    45.9%
  3. Average

46 vote(s)
    25.4%
  4. Below Average

8 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. Poor

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Typhon Pact: Zero Sum Game Review thread

Tuesday?

I got it a week ago from Amazon.
    And I live in Germany. :wtf:

btw:
    Transporterguy towards the end of the book: It's been done.

In this reality? ;)
    Awesome little homage, though.

Sorry for being so cryptic, but I didn't want to spoiler anything. I'm sure Mr. Mack and all who've read the book know what I mean.

2. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

are you some inside guy of something? how the fuck did you get a copy a week ago? please tell.

3. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^I had no idea about the release date being this Tuesday.
    I checked Amazon.de on updates about the book and noticed that it was "in store". So I ordered it.

To be honest, I was wondering why there were no review threads popping up around here.

4. ICW

ICW Commander Red Shirt

When does the actual paper back book come out?

5. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

Bought mine last night, finished it today.

I'm a fast reader, especially when I've been anticipating a book for this long. :D

Loved it. I never thought the Breen could ever be made interesting to me, but Mr. Mack sure proved me wrong.

Really hope there's something planned to follow up on that last scene. Someday.

That was hilarious!

6. ares93

after reading The Calling, i believe Mr. Mack has some crazy fascination with ending stories with a question mark. kind of what Hitchcock said. that the human mind with its imagination far surpasses anything you can film. that ending just screamed sequel. and i think its something we have to get used to.

apparently they fixed their mistake then. just checked. now my german is a but rusty, but it says 4-6 weeks until delivery.
    might as well stick with my original order from sfbok.se. should arrive in mid-november.

7. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It isn't necessarily an error.

They often have a small batch of books around the US release (I have received quite a few in the past), but if that first batch has dried up after a few days, I guess their next delivery comes from the UK, hence the 4 week delay after that.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't read the book yet, so I don't know the specifics, but I think it's worth keeping in mind that this is part of the ongoing arc, so I'd be more suprised if whatever it is isn't followed up on than if it is.

9. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

I'll be reading all four books in order as I won't be ordering them until all are available. (Choice of paying for shipping or getting them all at once with no shipping charge).

Looking forward to it. The previews are interesting so far.

10. Blackwaltz

Blackwaltz Ensign Red Shirt

Hi guys just joined the forum but have definately needed your insight into charting the treklit universe, and love reading all of your input. Anyway i just recently started reading all of the TNG and Titan series books all in the last month and i cant believe how outstanding a journey its been especially the Destiny books, i was floored by them, finishing those in literally 3 days. I was wondering for Zero Sum Game do i need to read the DS9 relaunch considering whose on the cover or is the TNG relaunch and titan series plus a singular destiny good enough?? 2 days and Zero Sum Game is in itunes, cant wait :)

11. ares93

you dont have to read anything aside from destiny and a singular destiny in order to get into the typhon pact storyline.

12. Blackwaltz

Blackwaltz Ensign Red Shirt

Awesome thanx!!!

13. Kaamkulano

Kaamkulano Cadet Newbie

Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster...

That seems to be the case here. In fact, I pre-ordered my copy from amazon Germany a few weeks ago and got it delivered last weekend.

Short Review of the book...

Zero Sum Game was certainly a good read, but not a super great one.
    I really liked the Breen Culture that David Mack developed. It was nice seeing one of the more boring races of the Trek Universe turned into an absolutely fascinating society. I especially enjoyed how David Mack integrated those ugly masks into the picture.

While I always enjoyed Bashir as a Character on DS9, even in his darker stages in Seasons six and seven of DS9, I just didn’t really care for his lonely and miserable self here. Bashir used to know how to have fun, now he can’t find new friends and is just moping around because of a bad break up? I don’t know. On the other hand we have Sarina, Superspy. I don’t remember Chrysalis that well, but she seems like a totally different character. Granted, her real self was just developing at that time of the Episode.

We haven’t heard much from Section 31 since Abyss, so it is nice to have them back at the forefront. I wonder if Sarina really stands behind their principles or if she’s just playing along, ultimately working with the likes of Vaughn (poor Vaughn) to bring them down.

The "B Story" involving the Aventine, I've found more appealing. I like Ezri as a Captain and the interactions of her crew were fun to read. It was a nice counterpoint to the doom and gloom of Bashir’s story, although the stakes were equally high. The Cold War atmosphere, the danger that a single misstep could lead to an interstellar war, worked really well.
    I was pleasantly surprised to see, that our favorite UFP President played quite a large role in the story. We will probably never get Articles of the Federation Part 2, so a little bit of Bacco here and there is always welcome.

14. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome aboard, cadet! :)

Wow--so it DOES refer to Ezri's break-up with him?

Mr. Mack...from the bottom of my heart...THANK YOU!!! :techman:

Oh...my...gosh. Big spolier there!

(Although...it DOES give me hope....)

Nice! MORE EZRI, I SAY!!!

(Especially...do Ezri and Julian interact? PLEASE, Mr. Mack, LET IT BE SO!)

Agreed. I have Articles, but I admit...I have so many Trek books, I have yet to dig in! Still...what I have read of her...she really seems like my kind of President.

(Hold the rotten tomatoes, folks...but I swear, there's a bit of the Gipper in her speech at the end of the Destiny trilogy!)

15. ares93

seconded on pretty much everything. :lol:

seriously. how the hell do we agree on so many things? its getting ridiculous... :confused:

16. Kaamkulano

Kaamkulano Cadet Newbie

Bashir's mission starts aboard the Aventine, so he and Dax do indeed share a few scenes. They even have a longer chat over dinner, discussing their relationship.

17. Rush Limborg

^YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

Mr. Mack, I LOVE YOU!!! I LOVE YOU!!!

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII--LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE--YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!!!

(Sorry, folks. I...get a little excited....)

(BTW...I was afraid it was going to contradict my story in the fanfic forum, "A Rendezvous With Destiny"...but it may actually fit after all! Will have to see if what she says in that scene jives with her arc in my tale, though....)

18. ares93

seriously Rush... what are you, twelve? :rofl: we all love the guy, but c'mon.

19. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Got my copy Friday morning, which is one thing I like about Barnes N Noble. I was just checking to see if they had any stock yet and the girl helping me said they had 4 and she looked, right on a cart of books just going out.

20. Rush Limborg

20. Just flamboyant for the sake of comedy. Jerry Lewis...Jim Carrey...William Shatner...that sorta thing.

Sorry if I scared you....

BTW--I've ordered my copy of Zero Sum Game from Amazon, today. Can barely wait.