IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 20 2010, 07:35 AM   #16
Harvey
Admiral

Re: 'Hellraiser' (2012) remake aiming for PG-13 crowd

HELLRAISER is a pretty average film, but the Cenobites (the most iconic of which, of course, is Pinhead) are a terrific visual creation and could be the source of a fascinating horror film. It also stars Andy Robinson (DS9's Garak), which may be of note here.

Unfortunately, a PG-13 rating just about takes away anything a bigger budget (the original HELLRAISER was made for cheap) might have offered this production. I'll take another round of HELLRAISER...IN SPACE! over this, thank you very much.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2010, 07:39 AM   #17
Aragorn
Admiral

Will the cenobites ruin.... prom?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2010, 04:25 PM   #18
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

So how are the going to pull off having a room full of sinners de-skinned with razor chains with a PG-13 rating? Oh that's right, they won't. What are these people thinking? If you want to create a new teen horror franchise, why tarnish this one (more than the sequels did of course)? "Pinhead is cool" is why, and that's all. I'd expect the new movie to have nothing to do with the original, other than maybe someone finding a puzzle box and having to battle monsters or some stupid shit.

For God's sake the original Lost Boys was rated-R in 1987, was a cult teen classic, and made five times it's budget in tickets, why are we moving backwards?

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
I hate Hellraiser. Awful movie.
Says the guy quoting Friday the 13th Part 6 in his sig.
Old October 20 2010, 04:40 PM   #19
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

What's going to happen is that they're going to take a thoughtful, intelligent horror movie and turn it into a dumbed down teen screamfest. Boring. I see no point in this whatsoever.
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2010, 06:21 PM   #20
Goliath
Vice Admiral

Nerdius Maximus wrote: View Post
Boring. I see no point in this whatsoever.
Money.

That is both the necessary and the sufficient cause.
Old October 20 2010, 06:35 PM   #21
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

Old Dark House wrote: View Post
Boring. I see no point in this whatsoever.
Money.

That is both the necessary and the sufficient cause.
I doubt it'll make much, at least initially. It's going to come and go from theaters unnoticed in a couple of weeks, just like the new Nightmare on Elm Street. And if it's the big-budget affair that I assume it's going to be, they'll probably end up praying to break even with dvd/blu-ray sales. It's not like Hellraiser was ever that big of a hit in the first place, at least not on the level of Nightmare or Friday. I don't know, though, I could be wrong. Seems like they're taking a pretty big chance, though.
Old October 20 2010, 06:43 PM   #22
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral

^ It didn't make anywhere near as much as Friday the 13th (1980), but is on a par with Elm Street, it made back 20 times its $1 million budget just in theatres, so I imagine its been a good money spinner over the years since.
Old October 20 2010, 08:31 PM   #23
Aragorn
Admiral

I think a dance-off at prom between the heroine and Pinhead to determine the fate of mankind would rock!

But since the Weinsteins are making it, none of you will have anything to fear. They'll spend a ton of money making it, then decide they don't know how to market it and it'll just sit on the shelf collecting dust for a few years before being unceremoniously dumped straight onto DVD, resulting in massive losses.
Old October 21 2010, 04:20 AM   #24
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
I think a dance-off at prom between the heroine and Pinhead to determine the fate of mankind would rock!
Well we know Pinhead already has a dress.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2010, 04:21 PM   #25
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

Pingfaaaaaarrrgghh wrote: View Post
^ It didn't make anywhere near as much as Friday the 13th (1980), but is on a par with Elm Street, it made back 20 times its $1 million budget just in theatres, so I imagine its been a good money spinner over the years since.
Wow. Guess I was wrong. I don't know how I got the impression that it didn't do that well. Maybe because the franchise kind of fizzled out faster than the others. Certainly I thought Nightmare was far more popular. Of course, I was in elementary through Jr. High in the '80s, and Freddy was huge with that age group for like, 8 years, so my recollection is probably skewed a little. I knew a kid that made a Freddy costume for halloween using pencils wrapped in foil as the claws. Everybody thought it was awesome.
Old October 21 2010, 04:24 PM   #26
Goliath
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Aragorn wrote: View Post
Well we know Pinhead already has a dress.
"Hell is the word--the word is hell!"
Old October 21 2010, 08:55 PM   #27
Aragorn
Admiral

It's been announced that the people actually helming the Hellraise reboot are the Drive Angry team of writer Todd Farmer (The Messengers, Jason X) and director Patrick Lussier (Dracula 2000, My Bloody Valentine), who are most definitely of the R-rated horror approach.
Old October 22 2010, 10:28 AM   #28
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral

Pingfaaaaaarrrgghh wrote: View Post
Wow. Guess I was wrong. I don't know how I got the impression that it didn't do that well. Maybe because the franchise kind of fizzled out faster than the others. Certainly I thought Nightmare was far more popular. Of course, I was in elementary through Jr. High in the '80s, and Freddy was huge with that age group for like, 8 years, so my recollection is probably skewed a little. I knew a kid that made a Freddy costume for halloween using pencils wrapped in foil as the claws. Everybody thought it was awesome.
The Elm Street series had 2 big hits for a franchise with part 3 & 4, at a time when the Friday movies box office returns had severely dwindled. In the late 80s when I guess you and me were both kids ( I was 10 when Elm Street 3 came out) it was a lot more popular.

Plus, I think Freddy has entered into the public conscience to a greater degree because he is an actual wise-cracking sadistic character rather than a silent slasher guy in a mask, and the films are much more entertaining, in my opinion. They at least try to change things around, approach from a new angle, unlike the Friday films which are mostly exactly the same apart from the occasional shifting location.

I made a Freddy glove out of Mechano. It was truly awesome, had jointed fingers with hinges, the metal backplate, everything.
Old October 22 2010, 10:47 AM   #29
The Haunting
Admiral

A PG13 Hellraiser? What a curious idea given it's all about sadomasochism and pain as pleasure etc.

Coming soon, a PG13 Saw reboot?

I was never a great fan of the original Hellraiser (was it supposed to be set in London, was it supposed to be set in New York who can tell!), but I liked Hellraiser 2 a lot, skinless Julia was surprisingly erotic!

Someone has mentioned the fact that Andy Robinson was in the original, but worth noting as well that Terry Farrell was the lead in Hellraiser 3!

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2010, 11:09 AM   #30
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral

Hellraiser 3 is pretty crap though.

The nightclub slaughter scene was good, and it has lots of good FX and makeup, but plotwise it was really heading into crappy franchise territory by then.