Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 18 2010, 09:53 PM   #1
JD
Admiral

The Dresden Files Short Story placement

I'm a big Dresden Files fan and I saw that the short story collection Side Jobs is coming out in a couple weeks. But before I got it I just wanted to know where all of the stories take place, because that will decide for me when I'm going to get it. I'm up to Summer Knight now, so if any of the stories take place before or around it I'm gonna get it as soon as it comes out.
Old October 18 2010, 10:06 PM   #2
Starscape
Fleet Captain

Re: The Dresden Files Short Story placement

Here's the official list of all the Dresden short stories and where they occur in the series:

http://www.jim-butcher.com/dresden/short/

Looks like only one (or possibly two) fit in sometime before "Summer Knight" and you can get those free from the website.

That's the way it crumbles... cookie-wise.
Starscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2010, 05:42 AM   #3
JD
Admiral

Cool, thanks. Looks like I'll wait, since most of the stories take place latter in the series.
Old October 20 2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

Side Jobs is out? Amazon.co.uk says it's not out while next year.
Old October 20 2010, 06:43 PM   #5
Starscape
Fleet Captain

^^ It seems the US has a hardback release of "Side Jobs" this month, but the UK has to wait until April for a paperback.

That's the way it crumbles... cookie-wise.
Starscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2010, 06:53 PM   #6
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

Starscape wrote: View Post
^^ It seems the US has a hardback release of "Side Jobs" this month, but the UK has to wait until April for a paperback.
Ah, they're doing what they did with the Codex Alera books. I bought the Codex Alera books from Amazon, but with Side Jobs I can wait, I have most of them in the anthologies they were originally in.
Old October 21 2010, 01:12 AM   #7
Technobuilder
Commodore

Apparently a few stores released Side Jobs earlier this past week, but the official US release date is Oct. 26th.

Now while I've read every short story released, I've never bought but two of the anthologies as I just read the stories themselves in the store.

However, we'll also be getting a new short in addition to Aftermath (the latest short chronologically) called Love Hurts (which is to be released in an anthology later in November) as well as a revised and corrected copy of Backup.

I actually trolled a few bookstores while I was out today in hopes of seeing it out early as well, but no luck.

Some days it seems Ghost Story can't come out soon enough... but with Butcher's ability to churn out quality on a consistent basis, I can't complain.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2010, 07:42 AM   #8
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

^I'm looking forward to finding out what his new series is for this time next year too. I just wish Side Jobs was coming out here sooner, because I won't get to read Aftermath while after Ghost Story at this rate.
Old October 21 2010, 07:59 AM   #9
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

I'm looking forward to Side Jobs, but I've got a bunch of other books I need to get through first, so I'll probably wait until Christmas for it.

As for Butcher's next series, I remember him briefly discussing an idea he had for a science fiction series about a human law enforcement agent working cases across the solar system, which by that time has been heavily colonized by humanity. Something like that, anyway. That was a couple years ago, though, he might have come up with something different since then.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2010, 08:25 AM   #10
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

^He's mentioned a couple, one he started writing a few years ago which sounds like the one you're talking about and he said where he'd last written he'd left the hero floating round a planet with no ship and no way to get out of it, or something like that. He's also talked about an "X-Files meets X-Men" type series. Which ever he goes for I'll gladly pick it up.
Personally I always skip whatever else is on the shelf and go straight to the Dresden Files books, they're my favourites.
Old October 21 2010, 10:37 PM   #11
Technobuilder
Commodore

Yeah, I have to agree with Bob the Skull, The Dresden Files is my favorite series being released currently. I'm also a big Honor Harrington Fan, but Weber has diversified so much, I can't get a consistent Honor fix. Butcher delivers Dresden consistently.

I really enjoyed Codex Alera, so whatever Jim comes up with for his next series, I'm sold.

Also, Bob - if I get the E-Book version of Side Jobs, I'd be willing to shoot you a copy early if you're still planning to buy it dead tree. I can't stand to let you wait til after Ghost Story for something I'll have by next week.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2010, 10:42 PM   #12
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

^Great thanks. Yeah, I already have it ordered at amazon.co.uk but it's not out till after Ghost Story here. I am hoping Amazon.com have it on kindle and I can get it earlier that way but I doubt I'll be able to get it that way.
Yeah, took me about half the first book to get in to Codex Alera but once I did I loved that too, in certain aspects I'd put it above Dresden, but Dresden is more consistent and there's more of it to love. I keep meaning to buy Jim's Spider-man book too, but haven't got round to it yet.
Old October 22 2010, 01:57 AM   #13
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

I became a huge fan of The Dresden Files last year. I've read all of the novels available in paperback. I know Changes is available in hardcover, and now Side Jobs is coming out in hardcover, too. I'm eager to continue with more Dresden but I'm trying to wait for the smaller, cheaper and easier-to-shelf paperback copies.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2010, 02:30 AM   #14
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

I tried to do that after I got into the series back in '07, but I just couldn't wait.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2010, 02:27 PM   #15
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I've read up through White Knight. I keep wanting to buy Small Favor, but I've only seen it available in that 1-inch-too-tall new format they're pushing, and I'm boycotting that for now.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote