RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,670
Members: 24,198
Currently online: 565
Newest member: Bradmark

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 11 2010, 09:18 AM   #16
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Re: Venture Brothers

Looks like it was an alt-Rusty after all. Thought that route was a little too predictable.
Old October 14 2010, 10:11 AM   #17
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Got a good joke out of it, though.

Limb was actually kinda fucking scary.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2010, 06:15 AM   #18
JonnyQuest037
Commodore

So what did folks here think of "Assisted Suicide"? I thought it was a pretty strong episode.
Old October 20 2010, 07:21 AM   #19
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Rock solid ep. Maybe a 3 1/2 out of 4?

Firstly, it's always great to see Orpheus. I don't know about anyone else, but I would totally watch a spinoff Order of the Triad show.

I suspect we're going to see 21 vs. The Monarch as this season's finale. And it will be awesome.

Rusty's brain is one fucked up joint. The little tale at the end is less funny than it is rather horrifying. It has become apparent through the last couple of seasons how Jonas Jr., a man who spent forty-some years being poisoned in darkness, is actually less dysfunctional than his twin brother. It's kind of weird, but it also makes Rusty seem like a better father, not just in comparison, but in that he manages to not be completely abhorrent given his own upbringing.

The Monarch's (rather lame) attempts to force Rusty into suicide were pretty cute, too.

On the minus side, Dean has rapidly become my least favorite character. Not to say I dislike the little milquetoast, but his sissiness is getting a little annoying.

Also, there could've been a spectral 24 appearance. Just sayin'.

Old October 20 2010, 01:24 PM   #20
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Very solid episode all around this week. Good interaction from all our characters. Krasny, I also have come to hate Dean. His constant screaming is just to much every episode.
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Guilds rules for arching. I seem to have lost mine.
As always Orpheus was great and I would watch a spinoff with him as the lead.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2010, 05:51 PM   #21
SeerSGB
Admiral

JonnyQuest037 wrote: View Post
So what did folks here think of "Assisted Suicide"? I thought it was a pretty strong episode.
Classic episode...and any episode with Dr Girlfriend in a cheerleader costume...
Old October 20 2010, 10:35 PM   #22
JonnyQuest037
Commodore

Krasny Oktyabr wrote: View Post
It has become apparent through the last couple of seasons how Jonas Jr., a man who spent forty-some years being poisoned in darkness, is actually less dysfunctional than his twin brother. It's kind of weird, but it also makes Rusty seem like a better father, not just in comparison, but in that he manages to not be completely abhorrent given his own upbringing.
You could make a very good case for Jonas Jr. being so confident and well-adjusted because he didn't grow up with Jonas Venture as a father.

And I disagree about Dean. He remains my favorite character on the show. I like how both boys are growing up this season and discovering who (and what) they want to be outside of the Venture super-science tradition. I'm rooting for both Hank & Dean to beat the odds and become well-adjusted adults (probably a pipe-dream, I know).
Old October 22 2010, 09:46 AM   #23
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

I thought it was a pretty solid ep as well. The final bit at the end where Rusty is telling Hank the story was indeed telling. The original Team Venture were quite the pricks....especially pulling that kind of stunt on a kid.

As for Dean, he is getting a bit annoying. Both he and Hank have lived through some crazy shit and he should not be quite the sissy that he is. Watching some recent eps, I thought he was making some progress....but in this ep, he's just regressed a bit much.

The bits with Dr. Girlfriend and 21 were a surprise, and really pushed things forward a bit, especially the kiss. I guess they could always do the "we were drunk" thing and go back to status quo.

Will be interesting to see what happens to 21 tho.
Old October 22 2010, 12:47 PM   #24
SeerSGB
Admiral

I can see 21 eventually becoming his own Villian (Viceroy?) or even a hero. Hero would actually fit him pretty good. Or maybe the guy that brings down the Guild and OSI
Old October 25 2010, 07:48 AM   #25
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

The Lensman wrote: View Post

The bits with Dr. Girlfriend and 21 were a surprise, and really pushed things forward a bit, especially the kiss. I guess they could always do the "we were drunk" thing and go back to status quo.

Personally, I'd be a bit amazed and even disappointed if they did that, given how much effort they've expended in making 21 such a credible (yet still dorky) badass. Not that I won't be surprised if he doesn't end up with Dr. Girlfriend, but there's precious little way that they can satisfying maintain the status quo--that is, 21 in a subordinate role--past the season's end.

Tonight's episode was pretty good. Not ultra-great, but very neat. Billy is always fun, and it was good to see Monstroso again. Although it's kind of hard to see how he'll get out of the jam he's in at the end of the episode, I wouldn't mind seeing Monstroso become a much bigger presence (ha ha) in season 5 (especially given my assumption that Phantom Limb will either be killed or, at least, left fallow at the end of this season).

Interesting insight on the Venture Bros. wiki (what doesn't have a wiki these days, pray tell):

Superficially, Monstroso seems to be a combination of both Marvel characters the Kingpin, who is a head of a major criminal racket, and his nemesis the hero Daredevil, in that he is an attorney and his hood and thematically red/devilish scheme are highly reminiscent of Daredevil.
I had gotten the Kingpin thing, but hadn't realized the Daredevil-like visual motif. That's kinda neat, even if it was unintentional.

Cigar?

Last edited by Myasishchev; October 25 2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old October 27 2010, 07:19 PM   #26
JonnyQuest037
Commodore

Krasny Oktyabr wrote: View Post
The Lensman wrote: View Post

Personally, I'd be a bit amazed and even disappointed if they did that, given how much effort they've expended in making 21 such a credible (yet still dorky) badass. Not that I won't be surprised if he doesn't end up with Dr. Girlfriend, but there's precious little way that they can satisfying maintain the status quo--that is, 21 in a subordinate role--past the season's end.
I think if the last 4 seasons have shown us anything, it's that Jackson & Doc like shaking up the status quo. It's one of the reasons this is my favorite show on television right now.
Old November 22 2010, 06:41 AM   #27
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Finale just finished. Good showing. This is very likely the dirtiest episode in four seasons of what has been a perennially dirty show. I liked it. Possibly the funniest episode this season, rivaled only by "Every Which Way But Zeus."

But not perfect. In fact, there are some things that really stick in the craw, most of it occurring at the very tail end, after the climax with

One bit is pretty awful, morally, and is probably the worst thing Dr. Venture has ever done, including using an orphan corpse to power a machine, and Brock's reaction to the situation is pretty reprehensible too. Thing is, I'm sure they meant for the orphan thing to be terrible, but I'm not certain this was intentional.

Secondly, I think Publick and Hammer may hate Dean as much as I do.

Finally, I expected more to 21's resolution, more of a showdown, but the way it was handled was maybe... fitting? I dunno, I'll have to think about it.

But, all that said, it was a pretty fine episode, all told.

Well, later, I've got to go give someone a Rusty Venture.

Edit: Also I'm sort of hoping

Edit 2:

Last edited by Myasishchev; November 22 2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old November 22 2010, 05:42 PM   #28
SeerSGB
Admiral

The finale was great. I've been reading on the 'swim boards that some are thinking that this is the series finale. And if it is, it is sort of a fitting end to the show. But given the little wink-and-nod at the at end of the credits, I'm willing to bet that Season 5 is just going to be a long time a coming, but it'll get here.

Overall: I loved the resolution of the OSI and Col. Gather's arc. The prom was the "B story" to all the characters, which was good. The Monarch and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch really come off as assholes; which is fine. 21, I think, had a natural and completely deserved collusion to this part of his character's life.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2010, 06:05 PM   #29
jep316
Fleet Captain

I'm sure they'll be a season 5,it just takes them a looooong time to produce as they do it the old fashion way.

As for the season 4 finale,I think it was great along with the whole series with the story lines,growth of characters,the canon of the series which is stuck to even in the smallest ways really sticks out,nothing is just thrown in and then forgotten for effect,it all shows again why VB maybe the best animated show on now.it's too bad it doesn't get the attention Family Guy and it's clones gets.

"Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever,you keep on talking." Hank Hill
jep316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2010, 06:19 AM   #30
the G-man
Commodore

I don't think it was the series finale, just the season finale.

But, if for some reason, the show's cancelled after this ep, it would stand as one of the best series finales better, right up there with "the Shield," "TNG" and "Newhart."
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote