RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,750
Posts: 5,433,324
Members: 24,838
Currently online: 486
Newest member: Mei'konda

TrekToday headlines

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 19 2010, 03:51 AM   #166
gomtuu20
Commander
 
gomtuu20's Avatar
 
Location: Beyond Antares
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

Have you heard this phrase coming out of the open-mouthed, bottom-feeders "Star Trek is stupid, I don't understand it"?
gomtuu20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 07:11 AM   #167
zar
Captain
 
zar's Avatar
 
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

open-mouthed, bottom-feeders wrote: View Post
Star Trek is stupid, I don't understand it
To be fair, I can respect people who judge something as stupid even though it's incomprehensible to them. Because I feel the same way about most pop music.
zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 02:17 PM   #168
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain
 
Nerdius Maximus's Avatar
 
Location: Oklahoma City
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

RandyS wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post

Incorrect. The real answer is that there are hate-filled people in this world who simply want to dump on others because it makes them feel big. My dad and my brother are two excellent examples. They both used to tell me how stupid and worthless I was because I liked Star Trek AND treated women with respect (in other words, I didn't bed them then kick them out, but that's a whole other story), while ironically ignoring the fact that my dad watched TOS and my brother enjoyed TNG.

Of course, they also told me I was a closed minded asshole because I don't drink beer or shoot heroin, but I ignored that.
Sounds like a fun family. And you think the entire world is like this, or that people have this stereotypical image of Trekkies because they are hate-filled? I disagree.
Well, I don't know about hate-filled exactly. I just donn't know how else to describe the feelings that I have encountered because I like Star Trek. My dad and brother was just one example. But I do think that people put Star Trek fans down because it makes them feel big.

We do NOT bring it on ourselves. I don't buy that. It's not like I go around advertising that I like Star Trek, but if asked, I don't deny it.
I've never endured any more than a little good-natured ribbing as a teenager about my Trekiness, so I can't relate to your situation as far as that goes. And I brought that on myself, by wearing Trek shirts, Kirk/Spock for president in '92 buttons on my jacket, and dressing as a vulcan on Halloween. Of course people were going to say something. It's ridiculous.
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 03:13 PM   #169
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

zar wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
a Romulan lady at work yesterday
This is what I saw.
That's what I almost typed!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 03:33 PM   #170
MANT!
Rear Admiral
 
MANT!'s Avatar
 
Location: Mare Island Naval Shipyard
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

In the 70s, I was smart enough NOT to wear any overtly Trek items to school..

The Star Wars tee shirts were far more publicly acceptable... but I wore my Star Trek belt buckle every day..no one noticed...


But hey, I've seen those "Twilight" fans get teased at the local schools...

So we're not alone..
__________________
Ryan Ladson Geddings 03-06-1989 to 11-27-2013
Requiescat in pace
MANT! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 04:40 PM   #171
Sigh
Lieutenant
 
Sigh's Avatar
 
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

I won't get started on Twilight...
Sigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
reality

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.