Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old October 18 2010, 11:56 AM   #871
YARN
Fleet Captain

Re: USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

So, this one has two navigational deflectors?
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2010, 03:55 PM   #872
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Vektor wrote: View Post
By request of The Commander, a new wallpaper image for your desktp pleasure.

^^Click for full-size version.
She looks so buetiful there i bet Doug Dexler and John Eaves and Andrew Probert are green with envy
Old October 18 2010, 04:04 PM   #873
Vektor
Rear Admiral

It has the usual main navigational deflector on the front of the engineering hull and an auxiliary deflector on the front of the saucer similar to the USS Voyager or the lesser-known Nova class. For the Grandeur the aux deflector has slightly greater significance for reasons that have not yet been revealed.

There is also some debate about whether the aux deflector would be powered under normal circumstances. If I'm not mistaken, I think Voyager's was rarely, if ever, lit. But we'll have to see how that one shakes itself out.
Old October 18 2010, 04:32 PM   #874
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

CaptainRoop wrote: View Post
Some of you awhile back may have taken the Grandeur Model Poll. That was back when Vektor was no where close to being finished, now things are a bit closer. If you will please take a moment and take the new Grandeur Model Poll, from our website so we can get new updated figures, that would be appreciated.
I visited the Grandeur website for the first time, ever, to participate in the poll.

When I did so - once - it informed me that I wasn't allowed to "vote repeatedly."

Still a few bugs in the system.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; October 18 2010 at 04:49 PM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2010, 04:43 PM   #875
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Not my department, but I'll pass it along.
Old October 18 2010, 06:37 PM   #876
SPCTRE
N7

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

I'm at a loss for words here. She looks breathtaking.
Old October 18 2010, 08:13 PM   #877
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Okay, somebody help me out here. How big is a standard escape pod like the ones used on the Enterprise-E? I could scale one off a Sovereign class schematic but, well, I'm lazy. Surely somebody has had to dig this up before.

Also, anybody know how many people they're supposed to hold?
Old October 19 2010, 07:01 PM   #878
CaptainRoop
Lieutenant

Dennis wrote: View Post
CaptainRoop wrote: View Post
Some of you awhile back may have taken the Grandeur Model Poll. That was back when Vektor was no where close to being finished, now things are a bit closer. If you will please take a moment and take the new Grandeur Model Poll, from our website so we can get new updated figures, that would be appreciated.
I visited the Grandeur website for the first time, ever, to participate in the poll.

When I did so - once - it informed me that I wasn't allowed to "vote repeatedly."

Still a few bugs in the system.
I changed it using the same wording in the poll but went with a different free poll site. It should be working now, but if it is not I am at lost as to what the problem may be.
The old poll seemed to work OK, let me know if you have any more problems. You can click on a e-mail link on the poll page and just let me know which way you would like to vote if nothing else.
CaptainRoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 07:25 PM   #879
Vektor
Rear Admiral

First pass on the upper primary hull escape pods. This is pretty much the standard Sovereign class configuration.

Honestly, I can't decide about these. I'm torn between what has become the traditional barnacle encrustation of escape pods or sticking with a nice, clean, uncluttered hull. I'm thinking about a compromise where the pods are concealed beneath hinged or blow-away hull plates.

I've also been tinkering with the hull textures, trying to develop a final look instead of just recycling the generic scattered plate maps I've been using for years. This is getting there but I'm not totally happy with it yet.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated as always.
Old November 1 2010, 07:56 PM   #880
largo
Fleet Captain

i've never liked the escape pod greebles. my 2cp.
Old November 1 2010, 08:02 PM   #881
Ptrope
Agitator

Let's say the escape pods are concealed beneath a tear-away skin, just for kicks and giggles - it looks like the rest of the hull, and doesn't scream "target" to an enemy who decides if they disable the pods first, the crew is frakked .
Old November 1 2010, 10:46 PM   #882
AudioBridge
Captain

Vektor, it looks SO much better without the visible escape pods breaking up the ship's lines. But if you feel you have to have them visible I suggest you think about a an alternate design, perhaps one that is less angular.
AudioBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 11:35 PM   #883
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Personally, I'd put the escape pods behind panels. The Defiant pretty much proved that it looks cool in action. And it's slicker.I'd reccomend a "minivan-style" panel that pops out slightly and slides back, or a hinged panel. I think while blow-aways are cool, they pose a potential hazard to escaping pods.
Old November 2 2010, 02:16 AM   #884
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Personally, I'd put the escape pods behind panels. The Defiant pretty much proved that it looks cool in action. And it's slicker.I'd reccomend a "minivan-style" panel that pops out slightly and slides back, or a hinged panel. I think while blow-aways are cool, they pose a potential hazard to escaping pods.
Yeah, but when do you use escape pods? When the ship's systems are failing and the ship has been battered. A complex cover mechanism might jam if there has been a battle. Why not just use a thin paper-like plastic or ceramic that looks nice but lets ejecting escape pods punch through without impediment?

EDIT TO ADD:

Vektor, there's something about this texturing that I don't like. Maybe it's the way the panels appear to radiate outwards from the center, it just makes the ship look a lot smaller and toy-like. Is it my imagination that the panels look smaller the closer they get to the bridge? I think each of the modeled segments on the saucer needs a unique texture with slight "weather" streaking running from stem to stern to unify the overall look.
Old November 2 2010, 07:32 PM   #885
erifah
Commander

Bah! this starship ain't so great. It'll NEVER fly.

Sure, it's a great, new, innovative design, and it executed flawlessly with GRACE, STYLE, FLAIR and ÉLAN...

But it was designed to be crewed by super-advanced penguins... and everyone knows penguins can't fly.
erifah is offline   Reply With Quote