My Janeway costume

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by firecrackerrrr, Oct 18, 2010.

1. firecrackerrrr

firecrackerrrr Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I finally finished sewing it. It was suuuuch a pain. I thought it'd be simple to sew. The gray shirt wasn't so bad but the jumpsuit took forever. The pips are a bit bigger than I like as well.

Also my hair....obviously I won't have this messy hair for Halloween but I'd really love to do the ~space bun~. I'm just not sure if that's possible with my hair-length. Any suggestions? If it's not doable I'll just go with the Janeway bob. :)

[​IMG]

ETA: I noticed my hair looks like I have a mullet in this. I promise you I don't. :guffaw:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  2. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

I love it, but you betray your inner Janeway with that Fanta bottle in the background.

3. firecrackerrrr

Hahaha well, I do have my quirks. I do like my Fanta :(

However, 90% of my liquid consumption is coffee. :devil: (which is also a bad thing, I know.)

4. Quinton O'Connor

And roughly on-par with my own consumption, lately. Liquid or otherwise since this new job. :(

It is a terrific costume, though. And dare I say, and I only feel comfortable pointing this out because I know you're a lesbian, but you are awfully adorable in it. (It's mostly that look you're giving, which is, in turn, rather Janeway-esque, come to think.)

Nice lighting, too. The environment really brings out the command red of the uniform.

5. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    Epic. So epic! I wanted to be Zombie!Janeway for a Zombie Pub Crawl last weekend (anyone in the Minneapolis area heard of it?), but didn't cobble together a costume in time - plus I would have had to ruin it with fake blood and I would have been sad. I had to settle for Zombie!Bro D Bag, complete with backwards visor and sunglasses. :)

I'm jealous! You're clearly a great seamstress, and you look great! And where did you get the badge?

I honestly can't think of a way to do that space bun without a wig or hair extensions. The bun defies physics, imo. The wig they used for that thing on the show must have been incredibly long.

(Maybe Janeway secretly loves orange Fanta)

6. Quinton O'Connor

It is possible...

7. froot

I agree. I mean, are there people who don't like orange Fanta?

...or grape? numnumnum

8. firecrackerrrr

That's a very cool compliment! Thank you! My best friend who worships Janeway is here and he's been cursing the Gods cause I'm a lesbian. He's all over me which is incredibly dangerous. Bad bad boy!

Yes I agree. Arghhh wish I could do the bun. BUT my other option is Year of Hell Janeway. I can do the bob and I can easily add a faux latex wound on my face. I am NOT touching my costume however! No way in hell will I ruin this baby :D

ETA: The badge! There's this lady on Craigslist that's selling INSANE amounts of ST collectibles. She used to own a store but she had to unfortunately close it down (economy, etc). She charged me ten bucks and the sound effects still work! It's magnetic and makes that combadge sound when you click it.

9. Quinton O'Connor

I definitely like orange Fanta. And grape Fanta. And apart from those two I'm not a big soda drinker. Okay, so I like Sprite and ginger ale. Though it has to be Canada Dry.

I'm glad to have impressed you with a cool compliment, firecrackerrrrrrrrrrr. I give them out sparingly. :)

10. Quinton O'Connor

Oh man, I'd pay real money to see a "Year of Hell" mock-up.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

How'd you do all that spooky half bathed in shadow thing?

It certainly doubles your badassity.

12. firecrackerrrr

What shadow thing? Like how the red material wrinkles? You have to cut it in four parts actually. The front, the back and the sides which are kind of squared. Then you add shoulder pads and it just creates that effect because the material pulls on the other pieces. The entire costume has to be done in pieces to make it look as authentic as possible. The elastic around the waist has to only be on the sides. The zipper on the jumpsuit is on the back of the costume (same with the gray shirt). I thought about going for the jacket (which would have the zipper in the front) but I decided against it. The black portion is in 4 pieces. So are the pants. Also very important, the back:

[​IMG]

The black material has to overlap on both sides of the back right under the red material and the overlap goes down to where the elastic begins on both sides. That makes movability a lot better. :)

13. froot

I think he might mean the shading on the image, where you're half in high-contrast shadow. :)

I would attribute that to a dark room + sitting close to a bright light source like the window. It does make a great effect. :)

Although learning about how to make a costume like that certainly is interesting and cool! *takes notes* I'm going to have to do one someday.

14. firecrackerrrr

I assumed that's what he meant but in case he didn't, I wrote it up anyway and explained how I made it :D

15. Guy Gardener

Maybe my screen settings are dark, but half your face is missing.

It's like in a horror movie where they're faking you out and you can't see YET that some character has had half their face eaten off or their human flesh has fallen away and they're building on the anticipation until it is revealed that you are really a lizard monster from planet X...

16. firecrackerrrr

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

You can blame that on the iphone camera quality. Should've used my SLR but I was too lazy.

17. Guy Gardener

No you shouldn't have.

It looks awesome.

Adds an air of mystery.

18. Quinton O'Connor

Well, I for one welcome our new lizard-monsters-eating-cosplayers'-faces overlords.

19. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

Cool costume: :techman:

You can order pips and authentic combadges from roddenberry.com. I ordered two VOY combages and they are just like in the show. Not glossy. They don't make any noise though either.

20. Guy Gardener

GREAT SHADES OF KENT BROCKMAN!!!

So, firecrackerrrr, tell me about your plan to get the band back together?