Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 5 8.77%
Above Average 31 54.39%
Average 14 24.56%
Below Average 5 8.77%
Poor 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 9 2010, 02:17 PM   #106
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Re: Caprica 1x10: "Unvanquished"

And in the original script of "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down," there was a subplot where Baltar tries to seduce Boomer, at one point mentioning that he was an avowed monotheist, and that, while rare, it wasn't an unheard of belief.
Old October 9 2010, 06:16 PM   #107
Alex1939
Captain

I have not watched any of the original Caprica episodes since they aired and I watched each one only once.

Honestly, I felt kind of lost in this episode. For me, I think the show's plots are interesting, but move too slow. And I don't feel a connection to any of the characters the way I did with NuBSG.

Still, I'll be sad to see it canceled. I am almost considering to wait to get the whole thing on Blu-Ray as I think watching several episodes consecutively might make the Caprica experience more enjoyable.
Old October 9 2010, 11:35 PM   #108
billcosby
Commodore

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
Caprica is doing a great job of establishing Battlestar's mythos. I really don't understand people's disappointment with the show.
Basically, it's because Battlestar Galatica was exciting.

If Caprica were exciting, I'd love it. But this entire episode I found my mind wandering... Thanksgiving is coming up. I have to do laundry. Yeah, yawns and spacing out as this dull heap sagged forward without any excitement whatsoever.

I will give Unvanquished this: the only scene I liked was the final epilouge with Chloe cutting down those wannabe New Cap City gangsters. If something like that had happened for the entire hour preceding it, I'd put Caprica among my favorite shows.

Old October 10 2010, 04:32 AM   #109
Harvey
Admiral

Above average.

There are the pieces of a great series here, and they're starting to come together more and more, but I fear it is too late. Bear McCreary says SyFy is making their decision based on the ratings of the next ten (nine?) episodes as well as DVD sales. I don't expect the DVDs to sell like gang-busters (why isn't there a Blu-Ray release, anyway?) and the ratings are weak, so this is probably it. But it should be an entertaining ride from here to the inevitable cliffhanger.

Someone mentioned that the head cop (Brian Markinson) had been added to the main cast. Actually, he's been a part of the main cast since the second episode (if not the pilot, my memory is hazy, and Caprica doesn't inspire the zeal that I have concerning Battlestar Galactica). The character has just been absent for awhile (and he's barely present here).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old October 10 2010, 08:18 PM   #110
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I finally watched the right episode last night and I really am of mixed minds about this show. On one hand, I really liked this episode, the themes it introduced and it seems like things are starting to come together. On the other, I have the same feeling I had with BSG, I want to slit my wrists because not one character on this series is likable. There is no one I want to root for other than the fact that they all should die a slow painful death. It's one thing to have shades of gray characters, but in dramas these days it almost seems like we're in an era of the anti TNG, whereas while everyone on that show was likable and perfect, everyone on this show is so unlikeable and it's just the other extreme. It almost makes me understand why the Cylons annihilated the 12 colonies. None of these people deserve to live.

As for the plot, which I did like, I really liked that they are bringing more focus in Clarice's character. She seems to be putting a foot forward into becoming a leader of the STO, and it makes what I saw in Retribution (Because on accident I've already seen that episode) make a little more sense. I also liked the stuff involving Daniel and how he lost everything with the company and the steps to take to get it back. That also filled in gaps in what happens in the next episode.

The only thing I didn't like was that was anything from the cliffhanger resolved. Ok, so Amanda was alive, but I really wish we had seen the actual fall, but we instead get taken 3 weeks later and that feels really cheap. I also didn't like Zoe's scene in New Cap City in that it felt out of place with the rest of the episode.

As for the longevity of this series because of the ratings, can't say I'll be disappointed if it does get canceled. This series seems to be finding it's footing, but it's not one that I would call appointment viewing.
Old October 11 2010, 05:26 AM   #111
Immolatus
Captain

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Below Average bordering on Poor.

I feel like I missed weeks of this show. There's several unrelated, and frankly, uninteresting plot lines going on at once. How did we go from Clarice's car blowing up to her on Geminon? How did Amanda survive her fall? Vergis took Graystone Industries? When did Joseph go from the show's moral center to full on gangster? I was completely lost this entire episode.
I felt the same way. I thought I missed some episodes.
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Old October 11 2010, 05:33 AM   #112
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ I have to admit that I really don't understand this recent rash of complaints about the use of 'off-screen progression', particularly since, as I mentioned earlier, the concept has been heavily used by Caprica in previous episodes, and was also a 'narrative staple' of the new BSG.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
Old October 11 2010, 06:08 AM   #113
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Yeah that wasn't an issue I had with Caprica. A lot of shows these days pick up at a point later in the story intentionally in order to leave the viewer confused about the changes and then over the course of the season the writers fill it in with stuff like flashbacks or straight up exposition.
Old October 11 2010, 11:31 PM   #114
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

I have really enjoyed Caprica, including the latest episode. That in and of itself should guarantee its cancellation (I have that power, apparently).

I think it's a bit confusing at times but I just go with it and things usually work themselves out. The religious/STO/Monotheist vs. Polytheist stuff can get a little fuzzy, for example. I think the show is stronger when it focuses on Daniel, Zoe, Vergis, and Adama.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old October 13 2010, 05:02 PM   #115
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Old October 16 2010, 02:38 PM   #116
flux_29
Commodore

Ouch.

"Victory is mine!" -- Stewie (Family Guy)