RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,195
Posts: 5,345,591
Members: 24,603
Currently online: 618
Newest member: localyokel

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 16 2010, 12:00 AM   #211
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

It sounds like the rumors of this being a "hard-edged origin story" are true.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2010, 12:03 AM   #212
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

Superman and Batman have two of the best origins in comics in my opinion. That's not to say we need to see them in detail in every screen iteration, but the strength of their origins is a big part of their enduring appeal.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2010, 12:05 AM   #213
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

I have a feeling if we're going to get a full-on origin story, it'll likely be non-linear similar to Batman Begins and be very different than Superman: The Movie.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2010, 12:09 AM   #214
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I have a feeling if we're going to get a full-on origin story, it'll likely be non-linear similar to Batman Begins and be very different than Superman: The Movie.
Yeah, I think so, too. I can see this rumored storyline of him traveling the world as journalist Clark Kent as he ponders his future (and past) and then returning to Metropolis and becoming Superman halfway through the film panning out as true.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2010, 12:16 AM   #215
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I have a feeling if we're going to get a full-on origin story, it'll likely be non-linear similar to Batman Begins and be very different than Superman: The Movie.
Yeah, I think so, too. I can see this rumored storyline of him traveling the world as journalist Clark Kent as he ponders his future (and past) and then returning to Metropolis and becoming Superman halfway through the film panning out as true.
Indeed. I'm kind of excited, because back when this project was first rumored, there was sayings that Goyer drew from John Bryne's Birthright, which I always thought would make for a great model for a new Superman film. We saw Clark Kent all across the globe, as a reporter in Africa, and I think if that's the direction Nolan and Goyer are heading, then I am very much so on-board with that approach.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2010, 01:19 AM   #216
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Indeed. I'm kind of excited, because back when this project was first rumored, there was sayings that Goyer drew from John Bryne's Birthright, which I always thought would make for a great model for a new Superman film. We saw Clark Kent all across the globe, as a reporter in Africa, and I think if that's the direction Nolan and Goyer are heading, then I am very much so on-board with that approach.
The Man of Steel is the John Byrne story they were originally rumored to be referencing. Birthright is Mark Waid's more recent origin story that has Clark travelling the world before suiting up as Superman (although The Man of Steel has a brief allusion to that, too).

I could see them doing some big FX sequences in the first half of the movie where Clark uses his powers to help people without anyone seeing his face - kind of like a Smallville rescue sequence on steroids and in foreign locales.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2010, 01:24 AM   #217
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
The Man of Steel is the John Byrne story they were originally rumored to be referencing. Birthright is Mark Waid's more recent origin story that has Clark travelling the world before suiting up as Superman (although The Man of Steel has a brief allusion to that, too).
Wow, I can't believe I mixed up the stories (or, more accurately, the authors). I was referring to Birthright in terms of a modern origin for new audiences, since I remember really enjoying that story.

I could see them doing some big FX sequences in the first half of the movie where Clark uses his powers to help people without anyone seeing his face - kind of like a Smallville rescue sequence on steroids and in foreign locales.
Batman Begins made Bruce Wayne interesting by having the first hour of the film focused on his travels and understanding him as a character. However, it was never dull and Nolan and Goyer managed to make it very entertaining. I have a feeling they could apply a similar approach to Superman that would work just as well.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2010, 02:04 AM   #218
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral
 
Bad Bishop's Avatar
 
Location: The Land of Fruits and Nuts
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I have a feeling if we're going to get a full-on origin story, it'll likely be non-linear similar to Batman Begins and be very different than Superman: The Movie.
Yeah, I think so, too. I can see this rumored storyline of him traveling the world as journalist Clark Kent as he ponders his future (and past) and then returning to Metropolis and becoming Superman halfway through the film panning out as true.
I hate it already. There have now been two big rumors about Snyder's Superman. First, the Zod rumor. Now, the Batman Begins formula. Both indicate a heavy bias towards what worked before elsewhere. I'd prefer an epic adventure about Superman as an experienced hero, with no further explorations of his early years. Also, no Luthor and no Zod.
__________________
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be debunked.
(Paraphrasing Dr. Carl Sagan)
Bad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2010, 02:11 AM   #219
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
It sounds like the rumors of this being a "hard-edged origin story" are true.

Not that I think it really would have happened, but I would guess that means no Jon Hamm as Superman.

He's a little old to be just starting out...

Sadness.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2010, 03:19 AM   #220
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Superman and Batman have two of the best origins in comics in my opinion.
The two best, really.

Most origin stories are just about how whoever-it-is gets their powers.

Spider-Man's is the other one that's rather special, because the circumstance that causes him to use his powers to fight crime also define his character.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2010, 07:07 AM   #221
Ometiklan
Commander
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

Man, am I divided about this whole concept. I like the idea of Nolan godfathering the movie, and I am pretty good with Goyer drafting and Snyder directing, but the pseudo-origin story (becoming superman, not getting to earth) makes me question it. Right now I am with the crowd that prefers an older (John Hamm) Superman fighting an epic battle that only he could win.

I think I am most interested in this movie (as I am interested in many movies) because it doesn't yet exist and there is simply great untapped promise for an awesome movie. Some movies succeed and I enjoy them as much or more than I thought (Star Trek 2009, Sherlock Holmes) and others fail (Predators, GI Joe, many others). Hopefully, Superman -perhaps my favorite superhero along with Batman- will get a truly great, modern movie.
Ometiklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2010, 07:22 AM   #222
Sabataage
Commander
 
Sabataage's Avatar
 
Location: Portland, OR
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
This may have been mentioned already, but another rumor is that Armie Hammer is in the mix. He was going to play Batman in George Miller's Justice League: Mortal. He's 6' 5", 24 years old, and just got a boost from his part in The Social Network.
I really liked Armie Hammer in the Social Network, both of him actually (he plays twins). He's pretty well suited for playing a hero with strong moral character (Superman is called the "Big Blue Boy Scout" for a reason). Plus he's not a marquee movie star (a famous actor playing a comic book hero or villain can be very distracting).

The only challenge for him would be Clark Kent, but the same could be said for every actor who plays Superman. If you fail, you make all the other characters around you look like an idiot for not realizing you're the same person. What I wouldn't give for *some* reference in The Man of Steel to a "perception filter." It would be so easy to work it into his origin. You see Clark Kent beating monsters and stopping runaway trains wearing his ordinary street clothes but no one to pays attention, even if he's actively saving their life most people ignore his presence or forget what he did. He puts the big red 'S' and blue tights on just so people will notice. "It's not me remember, just the red cape."
Sabataage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2010, 07:30 AM   #223
JonnyQuest037
Commodore
 
JonnyQuest037's Avatar
 
Location: Parsippany, New Jersey, USA
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

Sabataage wrote: View Post
The only challenge for him would be Clark Kent, but the same could be said for every actor who plays Superman. If you fail, you make all the other characters around you look like an idiot for not realizing you're the same person. What I wouldn't give for *some* reference in The Man of Steel to a "perception filter."
For a moment there, I was afraid you were going to recommend they use that ill-advised story from the 70s where the lenses in Clark Kent's glasses helps him hypnotize others into believe that Clark is older, dumpier and generally less physically impressive than the Man of Steel.

For those of you who have never read or heard of this story: No, I am not making this up.
__________________
"All right, you ignorant savages, get a load of Aquezio, you heathen monkeys!" - Race Bannon, Pursuit of the Po-Ho
JonnyQuest037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2010, 07:35 AM   #224
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

I really think it boils down to performance. Christopher Reeve was able to distinguish Clark Kent from Superman purely with his mannerisms and physicality. You could believe that people would be able to separate the two identities from one another. I think what it really boils down to is an actor who can successfully separate both identities.

Someone who could give Clark Kent their own character traits and quirks and create a Superman persona that is confident and far removed from the Clark Kent personality. I think, with the right actor, such a balancing act is possible.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2010, 07:44 AM   #225
JonnyQuest037
Commodore
 
JonnyQuest037's Avatar
 
Location: Parsippany, New Jersey, USA
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I really think it boils down to performance. Christopher Reeve was able to distinguish Clark Kent from Superman purely with his mannerisms and physicality. You could believe that people would be able to separate the two identities from one another. I think what it really boils down to is an actor who can successfully separate both identities.

Someone who could give Clark Kent their own character traits and quirks and create a Superman persona that is confident and far removed from the Clark Kent personality. I think, with the right actor, such a balancing act is possible.
Absolutely. And Clark doesn't even have to be as broad as Christopher Reeve generally played him. He could just be much more restrained and mild-mannered than Superman tends to be, without being an exaggerated wimp. I could see that working for today's audiences.

Or conversely, we could go the other way, with Clark as the much more developed, human personality and Superman as much more of an aloof, strong & silent type (a la the Fleischer cartoons). I can see either approach working with the right script, director and actor.
__________________
"All right, you ignorant savages, get a load of Aquezio, you heathen monkeys!" - Race Bannon, Pursuit of the Po-Ho
JonnyQuest037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
man of steel, superman

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.