Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 14 2010, 11:06 PM   #151
Sigh
Lieutenant

Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

^ Honestly we can break this down all day but the main point is we're inspired by Star Trek the television show/canon universe to emulate and expand our current technology, etc.
Sigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2010, 01:10 PM   #152
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

It should also be pointed out that it's not just Trek fans. Definition of irony - a link to "Star Wars Kid" was on the same page as that YouTube link. All the genres have their seedy underbelly of fandom/otaku. Although the women at Star Wars cons definitely seem to be hotter than other general or Trek conventions. Must be the Slave Leia outfits.
Old October 15 2010, 01:20 PM   #153
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
It should also be pointed out that it's not just Trek fans. Definition of irony - a link to "Star Wars Kid" was on the same page as that YouTube link. All the genres have their seedy underbelly of fandom/otaku. Although the women at Star Wars cons definitely seem to be hotter than other general or Trek conventions. Must be the Slave Leia outfits.
Though Star Wars is more widespread, thus less awkward.

People act like they forgot the reason Abrams rebooted Star Trek the way he did. He tried to turn uncool into cool, make a movie for everyone and not just hardcore fans, etc...
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2010, 01:58 PM   #154
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

Because we own Klingon dictionaries and wear Starfleet uniforms in public, and complain about the ones other people are wearing. "Look at him, that's a captain's uniform, but he's only got one stripe on the sleeve." In short, we bring it on ourselves.
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2010, 03:05 PM   #155
Forbin
Admiral

I had to explain the "Star Fleet Academy" window sticker on my car to a Romanian lady at work yesterday. She didn't seem to know what Trek even was, but at least she understood it was a "a joke," as she put it. (I prefer "wry humor," but whatever.)
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2010, 07:48 PM   #156
Udat
Rear Admiral

I love been nerdy about trek, make me feel clever. My friend just think I`m a social embarrassment.
Old October 15 2010, 08:17 PM   #157
zar
Captain

Forbin wrote: View Post
a Romulan lady at work yesterday
This is what I saw.
zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2010, 08:28 PM   #158
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Honestly...me too...

Didn't want to admit at the time, but I'm glad someone broke the ice.

Hi, group. I'm 137th Gebirg. And I'm a geek.
Old October 16 2010, 06:22 AM   #159
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

zar wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
a Romulan lady at work yesterday
This is what I saw.
me too!
Old October 16 2010, 01:48 PM   #160
Warped9
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Speaking of fan(atics), has anybody seen this yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB28WMv7wUE

And yes, that's the image the "general public" has of Star Trek fans. Fat, in uniform, doing very weird things.
That's fuckin' scary!
Old October 16 2010, 04:21 PM   #161
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Nerdius Maximus wrote: View Post
In short, we bring it on ourselves.
Incorrect. The real answer is that there are hate-filled people in this world who simply want to dump on others because it makes them feel big. My dad and my brother are two excellent examples. They both used to tell me how stupid and worthless I was because I liked Star Trek AND treated women with respect (in other words, I didn't bed them then kick them out, but that's a whole other story), while ironically ignoring the fact that my dad watched TOS and my brother enjoyed TNG.

Of course, they also told me I was a closed minded asshole because I don't drink beer or shoot heroin, but I ignored that.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2010, 04:34 PM   #162
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
Incorrect. The real answer is that there are hate-filled people in this world who simply want to dump on others because it makes them feel big. My dad and my brother are two excellent examples. They both used to tell me how stupid and worthless I was because I liked Star Trek AND treated women with respect (in other words, I didn't bed them then kick them out, but that's a whole other story), while ironically ignoring the fact that my dad watched TOS and my brother enjoyed TNG.

Of course, they also told me I was a closed minded asshole because I don't drink beer or shoot heroin, but I ignored that.
Sounds like a fun family. And you think the entire world is like this, or that people have this stereotypical image of Trekkies because they are hate-filled? I disagree.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2010, 04:45 PM   #163
Warped9
Admiral

Geeez! I've know individuals like that. I've always given them a heartfelt FU for their obvious stupidity and ignorance.
Old October 16 2010, 05:19 PM   #164
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post

Sounds like a fun family. And you think the entire world is like this, or that people have this stereotypical image of Trekkies because they are hate-filled? I disagree.
Well, I don't know about hate-filled exactly. I just donn't know how else to describe the feelings that I have encountered because I like Star Trek. My dad and brother was just one example. But I do think that people put Star Trek fans down because it makes them feel big.

We do NOT bring it on ourselves. I don't buy that. It's not like I go around advertising that I like Star Trek, but if asked, I don't deny it.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2010, 06:53 PM   #165
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

It's similar to the reactions to D&D players years ago, though that reaction was worse, intensified, and shorter in duration.
I've also seen it with things like Grateful Dead music. There are these stock reactions that people collectively have. With the Grateful Dead, the story goes that everyone was on LSD all of the time, and that they played horrible, shitty music with their instruments out of tune. When a local Radio Shack was demoing speakers with the Grateful Dead's "Help on the Way", a woman kept asking who it was. It sounded like Paul McCartney to her. The store clerks had no clue. I told her twice it was Jerry Garcia & the GD and she wouldn't believe it.
Similar astonishment upon playing some of the Dead's country and folk numbers with sublime guitar solos and beautiful harmony.

In short people still like to pick on geeks, well past high school, but the joke is always on them.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote