Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread

Old October 15 2010, 12:39 AM   #6301
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: My God, it's full of THREAD BOMBS!

You guys are gonna milk that cow till it's bone dry, aren't you?
Old October 15 2010, 02:20 AM   #6302
Capn Flukie
Fleet Admiral

View Capn Flukie's Twitter Profile

Powdered milk has to come from somewhere.
Old October 15 2010, 02:21 AM   #6303
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

It's a thread that lasts. BFD.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old October 15 2010, 02:26 AM   #6304
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

For what it's worth I barely remember Robau in the film. It was all about Pike for me.
Old October 15 2010, 02:43 AM   #6305
Finn
Vice Admiral

^yes. i never got the "badassness"
Old October 15 2010, 06:49 AM   #6306
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I get the "badass-ness," I just don't think the whole gag is funny anymore.

It's literally been done to death. Time to stick a Romulan scepter in it and be done with it.

While we're at it, let's quote some song lyrics for a caption contest and ask if anyone knows where they'll be when their diarrhea comes back, and all in the form of a de-motivational poster about LOLcats...

Or, how about this ol' reliable favorite?

Last edited by doubleohfive; October 15 2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old October 15 2010, 07:10 AM   #6307
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

doubleohfive wrote: View Post

It's literally been done to death. Time to stick a Romulan scepter in it and be done with it.

While we're at it, let's quote some song lyrics for a caption contest and ask if anyone knows where they'll be when their diarrhea comes back, and all in the form of a de-motivational poster about LOLcats...

"Check please!"
"Oh, that went well!"
"Open mouth, insert foot!"
"If you're here, then that means... oh boy!"

Seriously, though, you know thread bombs don't have to be contemporary or particularly trendy, right?
Brony Kingdom
Old October 15 2010, 07:21 AM   #6308
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post

"Check please!"
"Oh, that went well!"

Seriously, though, you know thread bombs don't have to be contemporary or particularly trendy, right?
Um, yes. John, I know you mean well but for once try not to be the people's champ. The altruism is getting to be a bit much, even for you.

I don't take issue with the age of the thread bomb. The problem I have is that the joke of the thread bomb has been told every day, by multiple posters every chance they got across most of the forums since the damn movie came out. In short, it's been played out. It's not funny anymore. It's The Simpsons, season 32.

I take issue with the fact that the "humor" contained in it is predicated on two things: A bastardization of the "Rules" schtick made popular via Chuck Norris, Vin Diesel, and Jack Bauer a few years ago (and which was losing steam by the time the picture came out) and the prologue scene with Taran Fahir as Captain Robau in the film. The former is no longer "funny" anymore because the OCD Trek nerd contingent here have rammed it (and the joke) in to the ground endlessly since the movie premiered.

I get it. Robau's a badass. But holy fuck, you guys are all Wolverine'ing him and it's fucking old.

LET.

IT.

DIE.

I don't want to rain on the parade. I'm just offering my opinion on the subject because it's not a funny joke anymore and it doesn't make for a funny thread bomb.
Old October 15 2010, 07:24 AM   #6309
ShamelessMcBundy
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ShamelessMcBundy Send a message via Yahoo to ShamelessMcBundy

"Check please!"
"Oh, that went well!"

Um, yes.

I don't take issue with the age of the thread bomb.

I take issue with the fact that the "humor" contained in it is predicated on two things: A bastardization of the "Rules" schtick made popular via Chuck Norris, Vin Diesel, and Jack Bauer a few years ago (and which was losing steam by the time the picture came out) and the prologue scene with Taran Fahir as Captain Robau in the film. Neither of which are "funny" anymore because the OCD Trek nerd contingent here have rammed it in to the ground endlessly since the movie premiered.

I get it. Robau's a badass. You guys are all Wolverine'ing him though and it's fucking old.

In short - LET. IT. DIE.

Old October 15 2010, 07:28 AM   #6310
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Um, yes.

I don't take issue with the age of the thread bomb.

I take issue with the fact that the "humor" contained in it is predicated on two things: A bastardization of the "Rules" schtick made popular via Chuck Norris, Vin Diesel, and Jack Bauer a few years ago (and which was losing steam by the time the picture came out) and the prologue scene with Taran Fahir as Captain Robau in the film. Neither of which are "funny" anymore because the OCD Trek nerd contingent here have rammed it in to the ground endlessly since the movie premiered.
That's what nerds do. This is a Star Trek board, quite possibly the epicenter of Nerd Fandom.

I get it. Robau's a badass. You guys are all Wolverine'ing him though and it's fucking old.
By the time such jokes hit the internet, or at least pop culture on the internet, they have become ancient to most people, who will continue to hear them time and time and time again. People have fun with it, and it doesn't harm anyone.

In short - LET. IT. DIE.
I've never trusted Thread bombs, and I never will. I can never forgive them, for the death of my boy.
Brony Kingdom
Old October 15 2010, 07:39 AM   #6311
ShamelessMcBundy
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ShamelessMcBundy Send a message via Yahoo to ShamelessMcBundy

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!
Old October 15 2010, 10:31 AM   #6312
captcalhoun
Admiral

Robau's not even badass. he's just as much a punk as Esteban and Terrell. in fact, he's worse cuz he doesn't even last as long as them.

Agent Coulson's the new BMF on the nerd block.
Old October 15 2010, 03:05 PM   #6313
Guartho
Rear Admiral

In short - LET. IT. DIE.
I've never trusted Thread bombs, and I never will. I can never forgive them, for the death of my boy.
Beat me to it.

(AKA "Mr. Donkey Kong King" for no apparent reason)
Old October 15 2010, 04:06 PM   #6314
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

In short - LET. IT. DIE.
This is pure gold!

This whole thing reminds me of the St. John Talbot episode many years ago.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old October 15 2010, 04:47 PM   #6315
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

ShamelessMcBundy wrote: View Post

How appropriate.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Closed Thread