TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 11 2010, 08:26 PM   #661
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

I never said audio had to be re-cut. They'd still have to have someone in there though to lay it down after all the picture editing was done.

Which is entirely besides the larger point I was making, that it's not simply going to be about re-doing the visual effects like it was for TOS. It will have to be more involved and time-consuming for TNG, and thus more expensive to produce.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2010, 04:09 AM   #662
Destructor
Commodore

billcosby wrote: View Post
*shrug*
Either it will be remastered or not. But I entirely agree, bean counters will reduce it down to a number for certain.
You can't get more right about it than this. But the fact is, TNG, like TOS sells consistently well in DVD stores, even today. I'd say they'll be almost assured of enough revenue to meet costs, particularly as HD becomes the standard.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2010, 08:07 PM   #663
Harvey
Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I never said audio had to be re-cut. They'd still have to have someone in there though to lay it down after all the picture editing was done.

Which is entirely besides the larger point I was making, that it's not simply going to be about re-doing the visual effects like it was for TOS. It will have to be more involved and time-consuming for TNG, and thus more expensive to produce.
When TOS Remastered was produced, the mandate was to not tweak the running time of the episodes, nor affect major changes to the audio. I don't see any reason why TNG would be different in this regard. Any audio work would be negligible.

But, speaking of money, TNG is a cash cow for Paramount. They'd be stupid not to re-release it on Blu-Ray, and they're not stupid.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2010, 08:42 PM   #664
swaaye
Lieutenant Commander

Well I wouldn't mind if they moved from the lossy Dolby Digital to one of the newer Bluray standards. Lossless maybe. But it doesn't really matter.
swaaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2010, 06:06 AM   #665
Harvey
Admiral

They'll probably remix it in 7.1, but the source material would still be the same.

Old October 13 2010, 02:33 PM   #666
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Harvey wrote: View Post
They'll probably remix it in 7.1, but the source material would still be the same.
To take the same 2002 audio stems of dialogue, music, & effects they could do it or it would be 'easier' (like in real-time) to just process the 5.1 surround sound 6-tracks to 7.1 (8-tracks) with

Neural UpMix software by DTS
http://mixonline.com/gear/reviews/ne...dts/index.html

The Blu-ray would have 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio format, the same as TOS seasons.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2010, 04:34 PM   #667
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

When TOS Remastered was produced, the mandate was to not tweak the running time of the episodes, nor affect major changes to the audio. I don't see any reason why TNG would be different in this regard. Any audio work would be negligible.
With the original ST, they didn't have to re-edit the entire episode, so therefore they didn't have to make major changes to the audio.

With TNG, because they'd have to reassemble the episodes from the original shots on film, they'd most likely have a LOT of work to get the audio to match up.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2010, 10:58 PM   #668
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

But, speaking of money, TNG is a cash cow for Paramount. They'd be stupid not to re-release it on Blu-Ray, and they're not stupid.
They have been stupid before. Money is the reason why we will never see a properly done remastered TNG on blu ray.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2010, 12:00 AM   #669
Prologic9
Lieutenant Commander

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
With the original ST, they didn't have to re-edit the entire episode, so therefore they didn't have to make major changes to the audio.

With TNG, because they'd have to reassemble the episodes from the original shots on film, they'd most likely have a LOT of work to get the audio to match up.

Doug
For something like this you're not talking about a loose re-edit, they'd be matching each scene to the frame. The sound should sync perfectly.
Prologic9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2010, 12:04 AM   #670
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Couldn't they handle a remastered release like the very first release? Air one episode per week, in HD, one season per year? Gives them enough time to edit one episode and have an immediate return on investment. Remastering one episode can't take longer than producing the original episode in the first place.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2010, 01:16 AM   #671
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Prologic9 wrote: View Post
Doug Otte wrote: View Post

Doug

For something like this you're not talking about a loose re-edit, they'd be matching each scene to the frame. The sound should sync perfectly.

It would still, however, take time to re-edit the episodes.

Regardless of how "easy" it would be to re-sync the audio, there's still going to have to be an editor (or several) somewhere, starting with all the elements again and assembling them again for the final up-res. That takes time.

Factor in producers, studio execs, quality control and simply checking for consistency with the original broadcast edits...

It literally will be, for the most part, like re-opening post-production on the show.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Couldn't they handle a remastered release like the very first release? Air one episode per week, in HD, one season per year? Gives them enough time to edit one episode and have an immediate return on investment. Remastering one episode can't take longer than producing the original episode in the first place.
Interesting idea. I don't know though if that would fall under the purview of the syndication deal the studio originally signed to when TNG hit 100 episodes, or if they would have to license it as a "new" show (I don't recall what the case was with TOS Remastered)...

Boiling it down is simple. If Paramount thinks they can do remaster TNG for what it would cost to do so and still make a buck -- whether by fleecing the fans who will pay $150+ for a single season on DVD or broadcasting it then releasing it on DVD/BR-- then they will.
Old October 14 2010, 04:37 AM   #672
Harvey
Admiral

Why $150 for a single season? Maybe at the SRP, but I picked up all three season of TOS for $120, and I expect TNG would eventually be priced similarly.

Old October 14 2010, 05:32 AM   #673
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

The $150.00 per season is reference to the initial prices the TNG DVD season sets first hit the market under in 2002. Obviously, DVD season sets are cheaper now ... but the Star Trek DVDs have never really been the first to drop in price. Sure, you can find a good deal here and there, and yes the season sets are more reasonably priced now (usually for about $50 or so) but we're also talking about an eight year old product.

Considering the history, I don't doubt for one second Paramount would charge as much money as they think they can wring out of the all-too-eager Trekkie nerds' wallets as they can.
Old October 14 2010, 06:02 AM   #674
billcosby
Commodore

^^ Hmmm... I wouldn't pay in excess of $200 a season (CND) though. And I'd probably get the best seasons only to start... 3,4 and maybe 5. But 3 and 4 for sure. Absolute Trekperfection.

Last edited by billcosby; October 14 2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: because I'm Canuck
billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2010, 09:53 AM   #675
Salinga
Captain

So... when do you think the 3D version of Trek will hit the stores?
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote