TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 13 2010, 01:12 AM   #46
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Back to the Future 25th Anv. Trilogy on Blu-ray Oct 2010

Stoltz is indeed a good actor, but he's not funny. He's playing it straight, but this is not a subtle movie in any sense. I wonder how much Zemeckis tried to nudge him towards Fox-ian big-ness, and how much he just let Stoltz dig his own hole.

Screecher4747 wrote: View Post
I'd kind-of hoped that when they moved the BBTF movies to BD they'd go through the second one and update the special effects.
The two Bobs say on one of the dvd commentaries that they don't believe in doing that, which is an unimpeachable position.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2010, 01:56 AM   #47
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Stoltz is indeed a good actor, but he's not funny. He's playing it straight, but this is not a subtle movie in any sense. I wonder how much Zemeckis tried to nudge him towards Fox-ian big-ness, and how much he just let Stoltz dig his own hole.

I'd kind-of hoped that when they moved the BBTF movies to BD they'd go through the second one and update the special effects.
The two Bobs say on one of the dvd commentaries that they don't believe in doing that, which is an unimpeachable position.
Which is fine and all, I respect that.

But it's possible to do it without "Lucasifying it." Many of the simple SFX shots (like the "highways" seen in the BG during p2) look decent. But there some shots that, well, just show the problems with the effects and and there's even some pretty big continuity and consistency errors in the process.

There's a few scenes of the DeLorean flying in p2 where the model doesn't have the "shine" and "gleem" of a stainless-steel car and it, well, looks like a model (including the lights on the inside). Most notably the shot of the car going down the "offramp" into Hill Valley 2015 and the DeLorean in chase of Biff's Ford in 1955. The car baking into the dumpster when Biff steals it is very shitty looking.

There's an error where we see the DeLorean landing in the Hill Valley alley where the car has some very different looking features (notably the exhaust vents' size and color) than the real car. (This is because the "landing car" was a plastic, light weight, prop lowered with a fork-lift.) It bugged me in the theater 20 years ago when I saw it in the theater for the first time. It bugs me today.

And the most glaring error has to be being able to see the real drive wheels for the DeLorean under the chassis when the car is hovering behind Biff's Ford (when Marty is clinging on to the fender.)

I'm not saying go through and replace everything (the effect of the landing car upon returning to 1985 switching between a model and the real car behind a light pole is very, very well done.) Don't go Lucas on it. But just clean up some of the more obvious mistakes and errors in it that were limitations of the time. There's plenty of good effects int he movie but there's one or two that just look bad and looked bad the first time the movie was released.
Old October 13 2010, 02:13 AM   #48
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I already own the old 2002 trilogy set on DVD (that was one of the 1st DVDs I ever owned) and I bought the new 2-disc version of Part I that was released on DVD a few years ago. However, I love these movies so much and have such an insatiable hunger for Back to the Future bonus features, I'll probably pick up this set too.

BTW, is anyone else going to the theatrical rerelease of Part I on Saturday, October 23 & Monday, October 25?

Shazam! wrote: View Post
billcosby wrote: View Post
The first DVD release had commentaries. Or do you want commentaries of the commentaries?
Only the first one did. The others had Q&A sessions. For R2 anyway.
In R1, all 3 films included 2 commentary tracks-- the USC Q&A sessions with Bob Gale & Robert Zemeckis and a scene specific commentary with Bob Gale & Neil Canton. Personally, I'd like to see them add a new cast reunion commentary track with Michael J. Fox, Lea Thompson, Thomas F. Wilson, Mary Steenburgen, Crispin Glover (if they can get him to not be crazy for 2 hours), and Christopher Lloyd (if they can get him to say anything).

What I'd love to see? If I'm not mistaken Blu-Ray has the space to do this but, granted, not at Blu-Ray resolution but I'd like to see all of the movies strung together with the codas/beginings overlapped so it acts out as one, long, movie.
What I've wanted to do is edit together all of Doc's scenes to watch the entire saga chronologically from Doc's perspective.

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
I think Fox did a better stunned look than Stoltz when he realizes the guy sitting next to him is his father
Yeah. Fox really brings Marty's disbelief to a climax here.
Old October 13 2010, 02:15 AM   #49
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Just looking at those grabs of Stolz just shows how all wrong he was for the part, hell even his freaking costume and hairdo is a disaster.
Old October 13 2010, 07:31 PM   #50
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

It took 25 years but I finally got it. The Sunstar 1:18 delorean! It's eluded me twice in my lifetime.

The bttf really connected with me. Some of the dates even correspond to my birthday

October 27th 1985 is my first birthday
October 21st 2015 is a day before I hit 31

Recreating a classic T-shirt

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM6Ms621898

It's been 25 years since Michael J. Fox first put the pedal to the medal in Back to the Future, and to help celebrate the anniversary, he got behind the wheel of that famous souped-up DeLorean once more to film an homage to the movie's original teaser.

We can thank Spike TV for this bit of nostalgia, because the reason they re-created the teaser was to get you to tune in to the 2010 Scream Awards, where there'll be a reunion of BttF stars Fox, Lea Thompson and Elisabeth Shue.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2010, 11:46 PM   #51
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Am I missing something here, and you've actually experienced the relative time dilation associated with time travel?
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2010, 12:15 AM   #52
JonnyQuest037
Commodore

I'm not saying go through and replace everything [...] But just clean up some of the more obvious mistakes and errors in it that were limitations of the time. There's plenty of good effects int he movie but there's one or two that just look bad and looked bad the first time the movie was released.
I'm sure that's how the Star Wars Special Editions started out, too.
Old October 14 2010, 12:20 AM   #53
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

JonnyQuest037 wrote: View Post
I'm not saying go through and replace everything [...] But just clean up some of the more obvious mistakes and errors in it that were limitations of the time. There's plenty of good effects int he movie but there's one or two that just look bad and looked bad the first time the movie was released.
I'm sure that's how the Star Wars Special Editions started out, too.
Which is all fine and good, and then Lucas went nuts.

There's good ways to update and clean up effects and then there's the Lucas way.
Old October 14 2010, 01:12 AM   #54
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Just looking at those grabs of Stolz just shows how all wrong he was for the part, hell even his freaking costume and hairdo is a disaster.
What's with the lack of a life preserver?

BTW, I just wanted to present the greatest time travel crossover ever!
Old October 14 2010, 03:51 AM   #55
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
What's with the lack of a life preserver?

BTW, I just wanted to present the greatest time travel crossover ever!
I'd pay $1,000,000 to see that movie.
Old October 14 2010, 04:13 AM   #56
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Am I missing something here, and you've actually experienced the relative time dilation associated with time travel?
Ah I see my mistake

October 27th is five days after my first birthday
Old October 14 2010, 03:16 PM   #57
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

new video promo

1 minute 2010 video promo
the BTTF original teaser trailer with Michael J. Fox for Scream Awards 2010 on Spike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM6Ms...layer_embedded

via
http://www.spike.com/event/scream/pa...dex&viewOption
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2010, 07:54 PM   #58
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

^check post 50
Old October 15 2010, 12:36 AM   #59
RoJoHen
Awesome

Dammit! Just when I decided I wasn't going to spend any more money this month!
Old October 20 2010, 06:46 PM   #60
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Clip of the tribute from the Scream awards. The best clip so far since others have warbled audio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UzoCnTA5_I

To commemorate the 25th anniversary here is a picture of me at a New york car show

Wearing a TMNT shirt too. Can't get more 80's than that