Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old September 19 2010, 10:22 PM   #61
vas2009
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Voyager - A Marathon Re-visit.

You_Will_Fail wrote: View Post
I hated the space worm sideplot, its the typical mumbo jumbo technobabble crap Jeri Taylor feels she has to latch onto the side of a character piece to fill up space.
Another example would be "Real Life".
I like it. It's good material, I use it to brighten my boring days.
Old September 20 2010, 12:29 AM   #62
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

I definitely need to rewatch it, haven't seen it in ages
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2010, 01:50 AM   #63
SRFX
Captain

NON-SEQUITUR - 2x05 - 3/5

There's not much to say about this episode, as there's no real issue here. But it's a fun ride to watch. At no point was I bored with what was going on and it's always good to see 24th century Earth.

The only issue for me here was trying to decide whether this counts as a horrible experience for Harry Kim, and I feel I have to say yes. He gets inexplicably deposited in an alternate timeline where his life is 'perfect' but he cannot stay and so Libby yells at him a lot and Starfleet chases and shoots at him.

Definitely a fun, if shallow romp with plenty of stock footage taken from TMP, TVH and TUC.

Harry Kim Horror Count: 4
Malcolm Reed & Charles Tucker III
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2010, 02:29 PM   #64
nethskie
Ensign

glad you're enjoying some of the episodes nice review
Old October 8 2010, 10:31 AM   #65
SRFX
Captain

TWISTED - 2x06 - 4/5

I must confess, I've always had a soft spot for this much maligned episode. At least I get the impression it is maligned on TrekBBS. I love this situation and am always entertained by how it plays it out. There's plenty of great inter-character drama and I love how each person fronts up to the impending doom. I love this episode, despite the problem being TOTAL NONSENSE.

I guess what I like about the episode is that it plays out like a zombie breakout. More and more crew members are disappearing, Janeway's speaking in tongues and the whole problem is so overwhelming, that resistance is merely a futile attempt to delay inevitable slaughter.

I also like that in a very Star Trekky turn of events, the distortion ring turns out to be a mysterious lifeform, which is a much better twist than making it out to be something evil.

Things I don't like:

I never got into Sandrine's as a locale. It just does nothing for me. Vic's in DS9 was passable, largely because they gave Vic and the setting some depth.

Also, It's either bad characterisation, or Neelix is really just that much of a shithead that he would STILL be jealous of Paris despite Kes stating to Neelix two episodes earlier that she wanted him to be her life partner and assist with conceiving a child. IS THIS NOT ENOUGH PROOF FOR YOU NEELIX YOU IDIOT?! I like character conflict but this feels so forced and one sided and relies totally on Neelix being a moron, which does not encourage the audience to sympathise with his perspective.
Old October 8 2010, 05:53 PM   #66
kimc
Coffee Mod

SRFX wrote: View Post
I love this episode, despite the problem being TOTAL NONSENSE.
This is pretty much how I feel about both this episode and "Threshold".

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2010, 09:18 AM   #67
SRFX
Captain

I don't want to pre-empt my review but I'm afraid I am far less kind to Threshold.
Old October 9 2010, 06:40 PM   #68
ialfan
Fleet Captain

I always thought Twisted was a great episode until I came here. I still enjoy it a lot personally.
ialfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2010, 02:27 AM   #69
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Wouldn't it have been funny, if somewhere in the ton of data downloaded into Voy's computer banks, was the shortcut home?
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2010, 04:35 AM   #70
SRFX
Captain

Yeah, but no one finds it until AFTER Voyager gets home. Some poor ensign, slaving away over the databanks (let's pretend it's Harry). Finds the data, and proceeds to cry himself to sleep.
Old October 10 2010, 05:11 AM   #71
zar
Captain

SRFX wrote: View Post
Yeah, but no one finds it until AFTER Voyager gets home. Some poor ensign, slaving away over the databanks (let's pretend it's Harry). Finds the data, and ...
... has a nervous breakdown; devotes the next 20 years of his life to figuring out how to send the data back 30 years into the past.
zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2010, 06:23 AM   #72
SRFX
Captain

i see what u did there
Old October 10 2010, 07:24 AM   #73
firecrackerrrr
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to firecrackerrrr

I love Twisted. It was the very first Voyager episode I saw I think? If not the first, then it was definitely the first one I liked and that got me hooked despite the ridiculousness of the plot, in retrospect (I just recently watched it for the first time in about a decade - as well as the rest of the show! SO glad I'm rewatching it, though I've always been a huge fan of Voy)
Old October 11 2010, 06:31 AM   #74
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

I've been someone who has been critical of the show in the past, and recently re-watched season one, fully ready to lament and bitch and criticize ... and while I do still have my problems with it, I found the show, on the whole, to be better than I remembered. Granted, it's still no TOS, TNG, or even DS9 ... but all the intervening years between when I originally saw these episodes, coupled with the everpresent hate some people almost get off on spewing, it really surprised me -- the things I used to love that now I don't; whereas the things I missed before or disliked the firs time I find better or more creative this time around.

Weird, that.
Old October 15 2010, 05:54 PM   #75
SRFX
Captain

PARTURITION - 2x07 - 3/5

Two things come to mind in the early minutes of the episode. Janeway's changed her hair and Neelix continues to be idiot. I am a fan of neither of these facts.

Fortunately both these elements of the episode take a turn for the improvement as this is a Paris/Neelix character episode which serves to finally dispose of the rivalry between these two. And because this is a Paris/Neelix episode, Janeway's new do gets little screen time.

The dialogue between Paris and Kim at the start of the episode flows quite naturally and the actors appear like they're starting to feel at home with their characters, rather than just announcing their lines on cue.

There's not too much else to comment on in this episode and it's largely by the numbers (something I will comment on in a moment). It's enjoyable to watch, Paris and Neelix get some drama and growth and FINALLY bury the god damn hatchet. I was sick of the rivalry episodes ago, and it only seemed fueled by Neelix's stupidity. The episode does come off as a bit cornball at times but overall, no major problems here.

Now, in regards to being a 'by the numbers' episode. I am okay with average episodes early in a series' development. TNG and DS9 didn't really hit their strides until season 3-ish where the quality of those respective shows continued to grow and rarely faltered like they did in their first seasons (TNG more so than DS9). After a while though, run of the mill episodes become quite tiresome and is not the sort of thing I want to see beyond a series' foundation season(s). I am going to become harsher and harsher on unremarkable episodes as Voyager progresses, simply because I see it as an indicator of whether the writing teams are pulling their weight or not.

In summation, I don't watch Star Trek to see the result of someone doing the bare minimum to earn their paycheque. It's better than that, and I will be critical of it when it falls short.