Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 13 2009, 02:07 AM   #16
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

Re: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

miraclefan wrote: View Post
TheBrew wrote: View Post
One of my professors told me about this after I gave him a copy of World War Z. I'm in. I actually like Zombie books better than movies.
Then you'll love Image comics, THE WALKING DEAD. Trust me! it's not only a MASTERFUL zombie comic, it's a MASTERFUL comic PERIOD.
Already ahead of ya boss. Picked up the latest issue yesterday.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2009, 02:26 AM   #17
miraclefan
Commodore

miraclefan wrote: View Post
One of my professors told me about this after I gave him a copy of World War Z. I'm in. I actually like Zombie books better than movies.
Then you'll love Image comics, THE WALKING DEAD. Trust me! it's not only a MASTERFUL zombie comic, it's a MASTERFUL comic PERIOD.
Already ahead of ya boss. Picked up the latest issue yesterday.
GOOD MAN!/WOMAN! Oh, and this series is not ''technically'' a zombie book, it is insane as HELL! Garth Enniss (of Preacher, The Boys fame) CROSSED. Trust me, unless you want a TOTAL-MIND-FRAG, For the love of GOD!, DON'T READ IT! I'm only at issue #1 (of a 9 issue series) and it IS THAT SICKKK! I shuld also mention that the series is COMPLEATLY SOLD OUT in my area!! and issue 4 is out next month!

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2010, 10:48 PM   #18
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Because its characters are all fictional, I don't feel the same total disgust and loathing towards this book as I do towards Abraham Lincon: Vampire Hunter, but I do view it as being similarly spectacularly juvenile and asinine, and am therefore quite pleased to note that David O. Russell (really, Three Kings director Russell? Really?) and Natalie Portman have left the film project. They apparently cite scheduling conflicts, but these are two people smart enough to know better than to sully their names with this, and maybe they've wised up to that.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2010, 11:04 PM   #19
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

I would accuse you of raising a zombie thread, but it was one already.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2010, 11:24 PM   #20
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
<snicker>

I've been semi-regularly wanting to pick this up and read it, along with Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters and Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.

The films of any/all of these sound fun (Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter sounds like something wonderfully Who-vian, somehow), and I'm perfectly willing to believe the scheduling conflicts.

Juvenile and asinine? Please...
Old October 8 2010, 01:01 AM   #21
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Juvenile and asinine?
When the author depicts Elizabeth Bennett as willing to kill a man over an overheard slight? Hell yes, it is.
Old October 8 2010, 01:06 AM   #22
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

I read Android Karenina, and liked it. I was amazed that the author could maintain the gag for the entire book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2010, 01:55 AM   #23
ladyheather69
Captain

I have read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies plus its prequel Dawn of the Dreadfuls.

I found them both to be refreshing and fun. I could never get through Pride and Prejudice before this version.

I didn't know there was going to be a film adaptation. Interesting is all I can say. Not sure about that...could manage to be difficult--I don't want to see it become a slasher film.

I will keep my eyes and ears posted though for more info.
Old October 8 2010, 02:35 AM   #24
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
When the author depicts Elizabeth Bennett as willing to kill a man over an overheard slight? Hell yes, it is.
The word of the day is: parody. Elizabeth Bennett and indeed many of Mz. Austen's characters have an irritating tendency to get their many layers of undergarments in a bunch over the stupidest, smallest of social faux-pas. This is the logical exagerration of that bathetic, mountains-out-of-molehill attitude.

ladyheather69 wrote: View Post
I could never get through Pride and Prejudice before this version.
I had no choice in the matter, but yes, Pride and Prejudice--and Mz. Austen's work more generally--is the best insomnia cure I've ever encountered. I did like this version of it--in addition to improving Mz. Austen's proto-Harlequin trash by orders of magnitude, I was impressed by the author's mimicry. It's hard to tell where the original text ends and his begins, and vice versa.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old October 8 2010, 03:22 AM   #25
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
The word of the day is: parody.
Word to the wise: people who cite New Yorker articles generally know what parodies are. But if, as you imply, parodies and juvenile tripe are mutually exclusive, I suppose Vampires Suck isn't juvenile tripe because it's a parody?

Elizabeth Bennett and indeed many of Mz. Austen's characters have an irritating tendency to get their many layers of undergarments in a bunch over the stupidest, smallest of social faux-pas. This is the logical exagerration of that bathetic, mountains-out-of-molehill attitude.
You might be a tad less snarky if your entire future hinged on what kind of man you could get to propose to you before the age of twenty-five. Austen's characters are damned realistic in that regard.

This is the logical exagerration of that bathetic, mountains-out-of-molehill attitude.
Bull. The paradox of Austen heroines' lives is that they had to aggressively compete for potential husbands, but never present themselves as anything but the mildest and most demure of ladies, because that's what the most desirable prospects wanted. The essence of their lives, in short, was subtlety and subterfuge.

Yeah, willingness to publicly murder guys who they overhear speaking negatively of that is a "totally logical exaggeration" of those sorts of personality games.

If you "can't tell where the original text ends and his begins."

For the record, I'd actually be interested in an intelligent version of this story that starts in Austen's world, introduces the zombies, and provides credible, non-anachronistic character reactions to such an event. But that would require a lot more effort, and the results far less appealing to those who can't get through one of the most accessible works of the English literary canon.

Last edited by Gaith; October 8 2010 at 05:41 AM. Reason: toned down gratuitous profanity. :)
Old October 8 2010, 04:26 AM   #26
Goliath
Vice Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
It does seem appropriate, in this case.
Old October 8 2010, 01:50 PM   #27
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

The word of the day is: parody. Elizabeth Bennett and indeed many of Mz. Austen's characters have an irritating tendency to get their many layers of undergarments in a bunch over the stupidest, smallest of social faux-pas. This is the logical exagerration of that bathetic, mountains-out-of-molehill attitude.

ladyheather69 wrote: View Post
I could never get through Pride and Prejudice before this version.
I had no choice in the matter, but yes, Pride and Prejudice--and Mz. Austen's work more generally--is the best insomnia cure I've ever encountered. I did like this version of it--in addition to improving Mz. Austen's proto-Harlequin trash by orders of magnitude, I was impressed by the author's mimicry. It's hard to tell where the original text ends and his begins, and vice versa.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
I agree. Frankly, I thought Attack of the Clones had better written and more realistic characters than Ms. Austen's work; and that movie had a jumping frog with a lightsaber!
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2010, 04:38 PM   #28
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Am I the only one that wants to see Jane Slayre made before any of these?
Old October 8 2010, 04:57 PM   #29
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

For the record, I'd actually be interested in an intelligent version of this story that starts in Austen's world, introduces the zombies, and provides credible, non-anachronistic character reactions to such an event. But that would require a lot more effort, and the results far less appealing to those who can't get through one of the most accessible works of the English literary canon.
So you're saying it'd be less of a travesty if it were taken seriously?

No, thank you.
Old October 9 2010, 01:56 AM   #30
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I know. Don't mind me; I'm just the moron who likes and appreciates the original, classic novel.

@ TheBoo: I hope you're being parodic... if not... all I can say is, I'm so sorry.