Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 5 2010, 05:28 AM   #1
gomtuu20
Commander

Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

Why do non-fans think we believe Star Trek is real? I don't understand that. When I was in Junior High School I had a couple of Star Trek iron-on T-shirts; one that said "How's your Tribble" with a picture of a tribble and another that said "Klingon Power" with a picture of the Klingon ship. I actually had other kids going around saying that I thought Star Trek was real. While I thoroughly love the "Galaxy Quest" movie, one of the plot lines in the movie is an example of this myth. It's just one of those things that I have always found strange. What are your thougts?
gomtuu20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 05:38 AM   #2
YARN
Fleet Captain

Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

gomtuu20 wrote: View Post
Why do non-fans think we believe Star Trek is real? I don't understand that. When I was in Junior High School I had a couple of Star Trek iron-on T-shirts; one that said "How's your Tribble" with a picture of a tribble and another that said "Klingon Power" with a picture of the Klingon ship. I actually had other kids going around saying that I thought Star Trek was real. While I thoroughly love the "Galaxy Quest" movie, one of the plot lines in the movie is an example of this myth. It's just one of those things that I have always found strange. What are your thougts?
Dude, it is real. You think I went to the trouble of learning Klingon to talk to myself?
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 06:23 AM   #3
AdmiralGarak
Rear Admiral

YARN wrote: View Post
You think I went to the trouble of learning Klingon to talk to myself?
HIja'.
AdmiralGarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 07:17 AM   #4
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

...it's not real?

Oh NOW you tell me!!!
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 07:34 AM   #5
Alienesse
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Alienesse

What do you mean it's not real? I just bumped into Scotty!

Seriously now, couldn't it be that those very people gomtuu20 is talking about are the ones who don't know the difference between fiction and reality? And I really saw a guy in the street today that looked like Scotty, honest to Surak.

Besides, to a certain extent, Star Trek is real. We have mobile phones, iPads, computers, Internet, even automatic doors. Almost every time I use my cell phone I think about the fact that I'm actually holding a piece of Star Trek in my hands and that gives me great joy, because it makes it real.
Old October 5 2010, 01:46 PM   #6
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

This has happened to me a few times over the years too.

I also wish people would ask me first before they assume I believe in UFOs because I like Star Trek.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 01:52 PM   #7
Pauln6
Commodore

I think non-fans may have difficulty getting to grips with the nature of allegorical storytelling. Scarily, a lot of people also believe that actors in soaps really are their characters. Some poor actors get abused in the streets by crazy women if their characters are mean.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 01:59 PM   #8
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

It's the ones who think warp drive engines are a possibility that make me wonder about their sanity.
Old October 5 2010, 02:28 PM   #9
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Why do non-fans think we believe Star Trek is real? I don't understand that. (...) It's just one of those things that I have always found strange. What are your thougts?
I've never met anyone who thought I believed Star Trek was real.
Old October 5 2010, 02:39 PM   #10
Forbin
Admiral

Just ask them if they think they're really members of their favorite sports team when they wear the team's jersey, and paint their faces in team colors, and tattoo the team's friggin logo on their arms.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 02:41 PM   #11
Cheapjack
Fleet Captain

I tell you what convinced me:

That bit in 'Amok Time', when Leonard Nimoy took a fit and lumped his monitor flat.

Only a true half vulcan, with the strength of two men, could do that.

:lo l:
Cheapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 03:06 PM   #12
mythme
Commodore

Deckerd wrote: View Post
It's the ones who think warp drive engines are a possibility that make me wonder about their sanity.

Doesn't Stephen Hawking think they are a possibility?
Old October 5 2010, 03:08 PM   #13
Praxius
Captain

It's because Star Wars fans think their movies are real, they decided to form up a religion...... they in turn think that Star Trek fans are the same, especially since klingon dictionaries exist..... only star trek fans are nerdier because there's no light sabers and evil Vader.

mythme wrote: View Post
I don't think it was him.... he just believes we should never contact any aliens because he believes they'll only be out to kill us all and rape our planet of its resources.

I believe it was in Shatner's documentary "How William Shatner Changed the World" ~ Where they interviewed some wiz who actually said faster then light speed is theoretically possible, based on moving space around the ship, rather then moving the ship through space..... which I believe Scotty touched on in Star Trek 2009 when he was trying to figure out how to transport at warp speed.

The conclusion was that because space was moving around the ship and not the ship moving through space, that there'd be no issues with mass and speed, etc. that originally restricted the concept of faster then light speed.

The only problem is that it takes a tremendous amount of energy to move space.... which the dilithium crystals exist to fill in that gap..... but technically speaking, if one could produce enough energy, one could produce warp speed.

Last edited by Praxius; October 5 2010 at 03:22 PM.
Praxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 03:24 PM   #14
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

mythme wrote: View Post

Not tidily packed into a small spaceship he doesn't.
Old October 5 2010, 03:50 PM   #15
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

I suspect they don't appreciate how captivating good fiction -- whether in a novel or on a large or small screen -- can be. And how true it can be, without being factual.

In my other favorite fantasy universe, they'd all be muggles.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote