RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,677
Members: 24,202
Currently online: 767
Newest member: wendelcarree

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 5 2010, 12:05 AM   #16
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

I'm fine with this choice. Snyder knows how to direct action. I'm less thrilled with the villain choice, though. This will be the sixth Superman film, and we still have yet to see Brainiac. That's just ridiculous.
Old October 5 2010, 12:05 AM   #17
SG-17
Commodore

Either Brainiac, Doomsday, or Darkseid. Zod has already been done perfectly.
SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 12:06 AM   #18
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Dream wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Screecher4747 wrote: View Post

It's bad form to just post a link like this. Content. Give us some content!
I'm still mulling over this. Not sure what opinion I have yet.
As long as it's not Chris Nolan, I'm happy. That guy really sucks the fun out of superhero movies.
I hope he's a very involved producer.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 12:10 AM   #19
Dream
Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
I want Brainiac, the robotic computer version from Superman the animated series, to be the Big Bad.
My guess is the film will have three major villains: Lex Luthor, Brainiac and Zod.
Let's hope not.

The only time the multiple villains idea has worked was in Superman II, Batman Returns and X2. Every other superhero movie later on has suffered because of there being too many villains. Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Spider-Man 3, and Iron Man 2 were too crowded for the story to work.
Old October 5 2010, 12:14 AM   #20
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
I want Brainiac, the robotic computer version from Superman the animated series, to be the Big Bad.
My guess is the film will have three major villains: Lex Luthor, Brainiac and Zod.
Let's hope not.

The only time the multiple villains idea has worked was in Superman II, Batman Returns and X2. Every other superhero movie later on has suffered because of there being too many villains. Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Spider-Man 3, and Iron Man 2 were too crowded for the story to work.
Both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight had multiple villains and both of those films worked. You just have to be able to juggle the villains thematically speaking so they work within the confines of the story.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 12:14 AM   #21
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Let's hope not.

The only time the multiple villains idea has worked was in Superman II, Batman Returns and X-men movies. Every other superhero movie later on has suffered because of there being too many villains. Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Spider-Man 3, and Iron Man 2 were too crowded for the story to work.
Multiple villains can work fine if the writing is strong and the running time is long enough for all of the characters and story elements to have room to breath. In addition to the films you mentioned on the plus side, Batman Begins had quite a few villains in the mix, too.
Old October 5 2010, 12:16 AM   #22
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
I'm fine with this choice. Snyder knows how to direct action.
Like the Matrix on quualudes?

What will Snyder do without a comic to imitate directly? Although, considering that I haven't found his imitations to be all that inspiring, it'll be interesting to see what he does without a shot by shot storyboard...
Old October 5 2010, 12:21 AM   #23
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Zod? Boring. Been there, done that.
Synder... bring on the SLOOOOW MOOOTIIOOOON FIGGGHT!

I can't say this is a particularly inspired choice.

But I can say this is not a particularly inspired choice.

Not surprising, but not inspiring or interesting.

If it had been Aronofsky or Duncan Jones THEN I would have been much more interested.
Old October 5 2010, 12:25 AM   #24
Dream
Admiral

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
I'm fine with this choice. Snyder knows how to direct action.
Like the Matrix on quualudes?

What will Snyder do without a comic to imitate directly? Although, considering that I haven't found his imitations to be all that inspiring, it'll be interesting to see what he does without a shot by shot storyboard...
Even though I like 300 and Watchmen, the slowmo is starting to get a little tiresome. It has become cliche now with his movies. Maybe that's why Warners/Nolan hired him? They think the masses love his style.
Old October 5 2010, 12:30 AM   #25
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Maybe that's why Warners/Nolan hired him? They think the masses love his style.
Watchmen only did so-so box office and The Legend of the Guardians is on the same track, so it's more likely that they just really believe in him as a director.
Old October 5 2010, 12:55 AM   #26
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Meh. Wasn't a huge fan of 300 or Watchmen, though I did like the latter more than the former. The stylistic similarities between the two movie (with nothing in common in terms of content) is disquieting, since it seems to indicate a lot of Snyder-isms are part of his regular style and could show up in Superman too....

Oh well, the script I think is what's important here.

You know the kind of Superman movie I'd love to see... an ID4 type invasion movie. But instead of some dorky scientist saving us, it's Superman who saves us by doing mind-boggling heroic acts. Honestly the most impressive thing Superman did in 'Returns was pick up an airplane. Boring.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 12:55 AM   #27
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

This excites me.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 01:07 AM   #28
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Zack Snyder it is. It was such a predictable pick that I had hoped it was not going to be him as much as love 300 and enjoy Watchmen. Be curious to see what a Snyder/Nolan collaboration delivers.

General Zod, well as long as it doesn't play as a wank fest to the Donnor films like Returns did in a drag out boring manner. Don't get me wrong the Donnor films were great...for their time. What Singer and Co. failed to realize was that era had passed and a real cinematic Superman update was needed. Instead we got an homage film that played more boring than anything Donnor would've done.

So now what I'm unclear on is this: Will this be a hard reboot ala Batman Begins or another soft sequel ala Returns just not adhering to Returns? I'm so over stalker Superman.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 01:08 AM   #29
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
Meh. Wasn't a huge fan of 300 or Watchmen, though I did like the latter more than the former. The stylistic similarities between the two movie (with nothing in common in terms of content) is disquieting, since it seems to indicate a lot of Snyder-isms are part of his regular style and could show up in Superman too....

Oh well, the script I think is what's important here.

You know the kind of Superman movie I'd love to see... an ID4 type invasion movie. But instead of some dorky scientist saving us, it's Superman who saves us by doing mind-boggling heroic acts. Honestly the most impressive thing Superman did in 'Returns was pick up an airplane. Boring.
I dont know. Lifting this huge kryptonite landmass from deep inside the earth's crust and throw it into the sun was pretty impressive.!
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 01:11 AM   #30
Dream
Admiral

Thingol wrote: View Post
I dont know. Lifting this huge kryptonite landmass from deep inside the earth's crust and throw it into the sun was pretty impressive.!
The part I most look forward to seeing whenever I watch superhero movies is when the superheroes fight the supervillains.

If I want to see a guy lift heavy objects, I'll just go to the local gym.