Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 4 2010, 04:33 PM   #31
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

This was pretty much a stopgap episode that took care of some necessary plot points while setting things up for whats to come.

It looks like they are going to brush the bathroom murder aside. I'm OK with that I guess, though I do wish that they'd devoted a few more minutes onscreen to explain how Dexter had covered his tracks.

I liked the scene with Harrison and Dexter in the moving van. Pretty creepy.

In the previews they cut it to look like when Dexter tranquilizes the oildrum guy that he doesn't go down right away. That would be an interesting development. Maybe he has a resistance due to recreational use of animal tranquilizers? I am probably reading something into nothing here.

The LaGuerta-Batista thing is becoming a bit tiresome.
Old October 4 2010, 05:16 PM   #32
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Eh, kinda blah eppy, just getting from Point A to Point B. The drama with the kids is interesting, even if the actors for Astor and Cody aren't quite able to pull off the scenes convincingly. The stuff with Lagueta and Angel - snore!

I just hope that whatever they plan for Quinn that they just don't do a repeat of the Doakes plot.
I'm hoping they're setting up an opportunity to finally do the Deb Finds Out plot twist. What if the writers maneuver Deb into a situation where she must choose between Dex and Quinn? Easy choice, she'd choose Dex but what if that requires she kill Quinn? In that case, and she and Dex cover up the murder, that would easily explain why she wouldn't feel obligated to rat Dex out to the authorities. And it would set up a monumentally kick-ass final sixth season.

Go for it, writers!
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 05:50 PM   #33
Aragorn
Admiral

I'm a bit disappointed that Astor won't be the one to discover Dexter's secret, because it would be interesting how Dexter would react to a young girl wanting to learn his craft.

I don't read the novels, but from what I'm told Doakes didn't die in them. So is Quinn filling his shoes for plot purposes? Of course, is the TV show even following anything in the books?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 07:21 PM   #34
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

^With the exception of most of season one, no.

in the books:
-Rita is alive and became pregnant after the marriage.
-La Guerta is dead (last victim of the Icetruck Killer, who isn't actually called that way)
-Dexters Brother escaped
-Dex trains Astor and Cody, due to them showing sociopatic tendencies thanks to Paul
-the Dark Passenger is actually some kind of demon
-Deb has known Dexters secret ever since Brian had kidnapped her (she was awake during their conversation) and she doesn't rat him out. She also has big boobs.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 07:32 PM   #35
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Pretty good bridging episode. I was seriously shocked that Dexter isn't being investigated for Rita's death.

And what is this creepy guy doing? Cutting off hair and electrocuting girls in barrels? Gonna get weird, I imagine.
Old October 5 2010, 02:29 AM   #36
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Of course, is the TV show even following anything in the books?
I hope not! I'm reading the third book and it gets...wacky.
Yeah it's going sf/f. But I like that the novel and TV series are having less and less to do with each other. I can't even envision Michael C. Hall as being the guy in the novels. If they keep going the way they're going, the novels could end up being a premise for a completely different TV series.
Old October 5 2010, 05:18 AM   #37
Jax
Admiral

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
in the books:
-Rita is alive and became pregnant after the marriage.
-La Guerta is dead (last victim of the Icetruck Killer, who isn't actually called that way)
-Dexters Brother escaped
-Dex trains Astor and Cody, due to them showing sociopatic tendencies thanks to Paul
-Deb has known Dexters secret ever since Brian had kidnapped her (she was awake during their conversation) and she doesn't rat him out. She also has big boobs.
I've always thought about reading the books but am going to pass now, they sound crap compared to the TV show.
Old October 5 2010, 06:38 AM   #38
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The novels are more jokey and lightweight, and don't worry so much about little tiny issues of plausibility, like Deb knowing her brother is a serial killer and somehow deciding that it's ok not to report that fact to any authorities or even worry about the ramifications for herself if it should come out. Or the notion that child abuse invariably leads to serial-killer-ism as implied by making Astor and Cody's stories so parallel to Dex's.

In that context, for serial-killer-ism to actually be caused by malign dieties who have apparently existed since the Big Bang and have a habit of taking over people's brains is just par for the course. Maybe Jeff Lindsay can eventually hook up his mythos with Star Wars - couldn't those malign dieties also be behind the Dark Side of the Force?
Old October 5 2010, 08:17 AM   #39
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

^That whole thing is pretty much swept under the rug in the next book. I've not read the latest one yet but I'm willing to bed it's totally forgotten about now.
Old October 5 2010, 08:42 AM   #40
MichaelDornFan
Lieutenant Commander

Hopefully that's it for S4 wrap-up.
MichaelDornFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 08:47 AM   #41
Aragorn
Admiral

There should be a Dexter/Burn Notice crossover. Same city. Would Dexter or Michael win in the battle of internal monologues?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 06:11 PM   #42
Aaron McGuire
Fleet Captain

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
in the books:
-Deb (snip) also has big boobs.
That these things didn't make it from the books to the screen is the greatest tragedy of all.

On a serious note: Whatever you do, do not watch the Julia Stiles interview teaser thingy that the show in between shows on Showtime. I saw it after sunday's episode. It totally blew the whole "What the hell does Julia Stiles have to do with all this?" question and I'm not sure I like the answer.

Aaron McGuire
Old October 6 2010, 07:22 AM   #43
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

i was gonna say grief councelor, but the kids are no longer around. maybe she'll have something to do with the other string of murders going on.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2010, 05:27 AM   #44
Dream
Admiral

Old October 11 2010, 08:36 AM   #45
MichaelDornFan
Lieutenant Commander

Ah, much better than the previous two episodes. Dexter & Boyd in the hospital provided some much needed excitement.

Stiles' character definitely has the potential to be very interesting and I was pleasantly surprised to see Queen Katherine as the nanny.
MichaelDornFan is offline   Reply With Quote