Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 30 2010, 04:50 PM   #31
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Worf is VEGAN!

siskokid888 wrote: View Post
I hate PETA. While I agree in principle with alot of their stances, they go about their business like a bunch of jackasses. They are almost as bad as the Tea Baggers. Actually, nothing is as bad as the Tea Baggers.

P.S. I do like the naked chick campaigns, though!
In the Mirror Universe they would be PETH; People for the Ethical Treatment of Humans. In our universe PETA is a terrorist organization. They have thrown red paint on humans wearing fur coats, destroyed facilities, devastated workers incomes and more... supposedly in the name of doing "good". Most people are so appalled by PETA's actions that they refuse to hear the message intended.

As for the TeaBaggers, they seem to be beyond redemption.
Old October 1 2010, 08:25 AM   #32
FormerLurker
Captain

The biggest lie PETA has ever told is that they were founded in 1981. If that were true, I wouldn't have ever seen the Dinah Shore installment in 1976 where the founder of PETA (who is not the woman who says she founded it) telling Dinah about this new organization she founded to make certain that all animal exploitation that occurs (we're human, we exploit animals, get over it) is done in as ethical a manner as possible, and to that end, she had begun a campaign to boycott Mary Kay cosmetics with the whole picket lines outside their corporate offices, telling people about what they're doing at cosmetics counters, etc., until they get the rabbits out of their testing labs and make the company animal safe. She had at one time worked for Mary Kay in those labs, and was appalled that tests that had confirmed results from the 1920's were still being performed in 1976, and was out to put a stop to it.

Dinah was so impressed she got her friends Bob Barker and Allen Ludden (Betty White's husband) to join the organization with her. In 1981, when the bloodless coup took place and the new management abandoned the campaign against Mary Kay, Dinah and Betty White quit in disgust.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2010, 08:37 AM   #33
scotpens
Vice Admiral

^^ So PETA began as an organization with reasonable and worthwhile goals, and was later hijacked by extremist nutjobs.
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2010, 06:11 AM   #34
FormerLurker
Captain

Exactly.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2010, 06:20 AM   #35
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

I find it odd that Klingons consider eating meat live and/or raw to be more 'warrior-like".

We humans not only kill animals and eat their flesh..we burn it first!
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2010, 07:15 AM   #36
Kaziarl
Commodore

Nardpuncher wrote: View Post
I find it odd that Klingons consider eating meat live and/or raw to be more 'warrior-like".

We humans not only kill animals and eat their flesh..we burn it first!
Not all the time. I like raw meat just as much as I like cooked meat.

As for which one is best between vegan, vegetarian, omnivore, or carnivore... As I see it, we have teach to tear meat and plants, enzymes in our digestive system to break down both meat and plants, our bodies are essentially built to use both meat and plants.

Beyond that... it just boils down to all things in moderation. You need, or rather I need since I wouldn't presume to tell you what you need... a balanced diet that doesn't simply cut something totally out of the equation.

Now, if for whatever reason you're allergic to something, thats different. Then you HAVE to adjust your diet to avoid that. I know someone who didn't eat beef for the first 20 years of her life. Chicken, fish, pork, fine. But no beef. Now, if she eats beef, she does get sick cause her body just isn't used to it anymore. Does she cut meat out entirely? No, she just doesn't eat much of that type of meat.

Now is being a Vegetarian a perfectly legitimate diet? Yes. If you know what you are doing, you can be a vegetarian, and even a vegan, without the need of supplements. You just need to look at what you are eating, see what your body gets from it, and plan accordingly. The problem comes up because in many cases a person will wake up one day and think "I don't want to eat meat anymore." So they go and cut out all meat and animal products. steak, milk, eggs, cheese, honey, and so on. The problem is, they don't look at what they need to do to replace what they just cut out and begin to have issues with vitamin and mineral deficiencies, etc.

Oh, and I can't remember the figure off the top of my head, I'll have to look through my books. But with supplements, you're body is only able to absorb a fraction of whats actually contained in that little pill.

Bottom line. What EVER you decide to do, look into it. Ensure that you are getting what you need, and that you aren't harming yourself. That way, whatever way of life you choose will be good for you.
Old October 3 2010, 07:12 PM   #37
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

PETA is great. Every time someone is cruel to animals, famous chicks get naked.

And Dorn looks like he's got merely 3 months left to live. Jesus.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 07:17 AM   #38
Sibo191
Lieutenant

Better to be a Tea Bagger than the Tea Bagged
Sibo191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2010, 09:08 AM   #39
STR
Captain

^That doesn't make any sense.
Old October 14 2010, 01:48 AM   #40
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

But just what on Earth would Michael Dorn do if they wanted to do a 5th TNG movie? He couldn't play Worf looking like that.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2010, 02:57 AM   #41
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
But just what on Earth would Michael Dorn do if they wanted to do a 5th TNG movie? He couldn't play Worf looking like that.
It's amazing what they can do with special effects these days.
Old November 5 2010, 03:10 PM   #42
jewelweed
Ensign

whole lotta ignorance in this thread...

it's funny, I hear people snarking on and talking smack about vegans much more than I see vegans bothering other people about what they're eating...
jewelweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2010, 05:36 PM   #43
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

jewelweed wrote: View Post
Yup. But some intelligent comments, too.

Haven't seen you around before -- welcome.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2010, 06:30 PM   #44
Leathco
Lieutenant Commander

They use replicators in the future; you can eat all the meat you want without killing animals.

I eat a TON of meat BTW.
Old November 5 2010, 10:26 PM   #45
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

jewelweed wrote: View Post

it's funny, I hear people snarking on and talking smack about vegans much more than I see vegans bothering other people about what they're eating...
I don't know about that, I've noticed that veggies tend to get in peoples faces and advocate their own dietary preferences a lot more that your average Human omnivore.

Prior to Micheal Dorn switching his diet, did you EVER hear about him discussing his diet?

Sibo191 wrote: View Post
Better to be a Tea Bagger than the Tea Bagged
Teapartiers do know how to party (and win elections).

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote