TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old September 8 2010, 06:47 PM   #316
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

View Melonpool's Twitter Profile
Re: New Star Trek Fan Film

It's too bad I can't fly out to Georgia for a week and help you build, then have you fly out to California for a week to help me build. We'd probably both get a lot more done!

Not that i have two weeks of vacation to use, mind you.
Old September 8 2010, 07:23 PM   #317
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Or airfare on my end.

I was a little disappointed with last night's progress, but I realized this morning that in actuality, I'm almost done with the alcove.

I'm trying to develop a plan of attack on the ready room. The guy who was going to help me tells me he can help with this and that, but not those and these. Funny, I think it's all the same. Still, I'll get the ready room going on Monday or so at the latest.

Just exchanged emails with Bill Walker. One of the things that we're doing is animating the console lights (we don't need no stinking Christmas lights), and I've told him about one more thing in that vein to do. He's working on this sort of animation at home. Meanwhile, he's got the starbase and Potemkin ready for the starfield. He's got a challenge with the starbase. I want a shot similar to the one from "Devil in the Dark" (and "The Cage") where we have a starfield and we draw up to the starbase orbiting a planet.Then the Potemkin swings into view. It's a very difficult shot, but it's the only special effect in the vignette. Bill's been working on it for a while now, and hopefully sees the light at the end of the tunnel.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2010, 07:05 PM   #318
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Finished construction last night, and installed the alcove partitions (three of them) in place with Jeremy's help. Fit perfectly (a little tight at one point), but going to paint them Saturday, and then construction will begin on the Ready Room.
Old September 13 2010, 12:51 AM   #319
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Bill Walker is nearly finished with the post-production control panel display effects. You can view samples of what he's been working on in our YouTube channel or by going directly to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnyv3_P81og. We deliberately did not post the entire video, nor did we include sound with this preview. Just wanted to share what we've been working on lately.

Will be updating the Potemkin website with shots from the rear alcove build this evening or tomorrow. Honestly, it was the easiest build we've had. We're expecting to start construction on the ready room Monday afternoon.
Old September 13 2010, 06:34 AM   #320
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Have updated the Project Potemkin website with the webarticle on "Alcove Construction" as well as the release of our "Series Bible."
Old September 20 2010, 04:00 PM   #321
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

From Bill Walker, our SPFX guy for "The Old Guys":

Very quick update: As seems to be usual, I'm behind schedule again, thanks to stuff coming up. BUT -- the first render for Scene 42 is underway as I write this!! There will have to be a number of render passes that all get composited together, but at least the modeling is done for that scene! I'll get the first three passes done and to a test composite, and if all looks good I'll kick off the final renders on all three machines.
Old September 30 2010, 08:41 PM   #322
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

View Melonpool's Twitter Profile

How's this coming along? I've been thinking about writing up an article on my blog about this production (since their practically sibling productions), but was wondering if I should hold off until you're about to release the first vignette. Are you close?

Super excited!

Steve
Old October 1 2010, 02:59 AM   #323
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

We've got one more special effect shot to complete, then we send it for music/scoring, then we turn it over to Ralph for sound, and we're done with "The Old Guys." I hope it'll be ready in December, but don't hold me to that.

Right now, I'm working on the ready room set. It's been an adventure to say the least. I'm hoping to have it completed within a couple of weeks. If anyone is in the South Georgia area, I'd love to have some additional help.

Last week, we opted to begin coming up with the shooting schedule for our first full length episode, "The Void." As of this afternoon, we finalized the schedule. Shooting will take place on our bridge set on Thursday, Nov 18 - Sat - Nov 20. As our cast is comprised of local actors (as opposed to Star Trek fans) we've had to work around their acting schedules for Darton College, Georgia Southwestern University, Albany State University, and Theater Albany. It's terrific working with such talented people, but scheduling a time they're ALL available has been a challenge.

Anyway, we're still undecided as to how to release the episode, "The Void." If we release it one act at a time, it's bound to have some people irate if real-life causes delays in production (as they have since we began it). If we wait and release it as a whole, then folks are going to be complaining about the time between episodes. Fortunately, our plan is to shoot a number of vignettes that are set between episodes, and releasing these are bound to mollify some of that criticism.

Lastly, I think we're going to attend TrekTrax in Atlanta in February. I've put Ricky on it, and he's eager to handle it.
Old October 1 2010, 04:15 AM   #324
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Ooops: CAST MEMBERS NEEDED!

We need two additional cast members to replace Junius Stone at the HELM (Stoney got transferred overseas with the US Army) and to replace Bill Walker at ENGINEERING (Bill will still be the chief engineer -- but we need a warm body at that spot on the bridge). We cannot provide lodging or travel, but we are feeding our cast.

Our upcoming shooting schedule:

Thursday 8pm-10pm: Teaser
Friday 7pm - 11pm: Act I
Saturday 1pm - 8pm: Act II & III

Shooting will take place at the bridge set on Saddleleaf Avenue in Albany, Georgia.

If this is something you'd be interested in, please contact me asap.
Old October 1 2010, 06:41 AM   #325
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

This just in from Bill Walker (SPFX for "The Old Guys"):

Scene 42 [the last scene] will be completed tomorrow! Work is proceeding on the final sequence, Scene 0a, the opening credits and the initial view of the Potemkin. And if time allows, I will also try to get the last of the console effects done tomorrow as well.
Bill Walker
_________
Old October 1 2010, 05:24 PM   #326
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
....but we are feeding our cast.
Which puts you ahead of a few productions I know!
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2010, 07:31 PM   #327
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
....but we are feeding our cast.
Which puts you ahead of a few productions I know!
Well, to be honest, we get catering from The Crowbar in Albany (150 wings and ranch dip), two or three $5 footlongs, two or three $10 pizzas from whomever is cheaper (Pizza Hut or Dominoes), and the only thing Linda has to actually buy is the soda.
Old October 3 2010, 06:32 AM   #328
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

A couple of significant things today:

1) We've turned over the edited vignette to Steve Gallant for scoring and music.
2) Jon Carling, our SPFX guy for "The Void," turned in a number of completed (and OUTSTANDING) SPFX shot for this episode which goes before the cameras next month.

Honestly, I'm STOKED.
Old October 9 2010, 06:40 AM   #329
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

This week's update:

1) The final SPFX shot was submitted today, and after one change in one credit, we're ready to go there.

2) Construction continues on the ready room. Got a lot accomplished with that, including the triangular supports, a fake wall, and we've cut through a wall to make our corridor. The cut-through was costly. Had to have a plumber to re-route the plumbing which should NOT have been in that wall. Had to have an electrician do the same for some wiring. But in the coming week, I expect the ready room to be finished. Got a while to go on the corridor.

3) We're thinking of a November Internet release for "The Old Guys." We're thinking of premiering it and possibly the vignette, "Care for a Lift?" at TrekTraxAtlanta in February, along with the teaser for "The Void." Both Producer Ricky Thompson and Bill "Chief Engineer Barton" Walker (who also did the SPFX for "The Old Guys") will be in attendance. I'm hoping to see about taking two or three of the actors (none of which are Star Trek fans) to the convention to promote the film as well. Details to be ironed out and will be forthcoming as we get nearer to the convention.

4) Our series bible is on-line, but not sure if we're going to be open to submissions for much longer. We have quite a few vignettes (short films) on-hand now along with a full length episode and another in the works.

5) We're still looking for cast members: Helm Officer, Bridge Engineer (for when Bill Walker's not available), Environmental Officer. If you're interested, please contact us at your earliest convenience. Our next episode will be "filmed" in November, and we need actors for these roles.
Old October 13 2010, 06:21 AM   #330
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Quick update:

This afternoon, continued work on the triangular supports for the wall with the window. The door walls are ready to go.

This evening, updated the website with short synopses of planned episodes. Most of what we're going to be doing are vignettes. Presently, we have seven vignettes planned (two of which are already filmed) and two episodes for this "season."