USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old September 28 2010, 02:28 PM   #16
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station
Re: Star Trek: Shaping a Cardassian - Among the Dragons

(Think maybe some paternal instinct will kick in and he'll feel like he can play a part in her "upbringing"? )
Funny that you mention it, because just today I was thinking about their respective ages (that part of the chapter with him was written quite some time ago, so it's not so fresh to me) and I wondered if Zamarran isn't old enough to be her father. He isn't, but with her young look (she appears young to them due to lack of ridges) and "childish" behaviour he would have some paternal instincts kicking in

And yes, I think that a lot of their social behaviour is an instinct. I think the instinct came first and culture later, as it grew "over" that instinct.

"The Ullmann situation" will only escalate.
Old September 28 2010, 04:01 PM   #17
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

If it gets worse than that...it's going to be BAD.

I wonder if they'll come to the realization that humans do not have those instincts? Once that fact comes into the open, I wonder if it will help (the Cardassians then understand why human behavior is "off"), or hurt (the Cardassians then think humans are inferior)?
Old September 28 2010, 04:05 PM   #18
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Something is going to "trigger" Ullmann to go to Jarol eventually.

Kapoor is trying so hard that they might not notice it quickly

Another chapter will be posted in a few moments. A short one, but very important
Old September 28 2010, 04:23 PM   #19
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Chapter 3 - Day 3

Ullmann left for the bridge like thirty minutes too early. I wasn't sure she wanted to impress our superiors or avoid meeting Karama in the lift again, but whatever her reasons were, I had the quarters for myself for whole thirty minutes in result. I used that time to unpack and have nice breakfast. I tried to hover my TP over the small, round screen next to the replicator, but the characters disappeared too quickly and I still didn't know what they were.

I made sure to report to the bridge on time. The last thing I wanted was to be late anywhere. It seemed quite important to them – to be on time. On a Federation starship being late also wasn't acceptable, however I didn't even dare to imagine what kind of crime it would be here.

Zamarran was on the bridge when I arrived there. At first I thought I was late, because he only glared at me without a word.

“Sir. Reporting for duty, sir,” I said.

“Noted,” he replied in a voice, which was everything but angry. He handed me a padd. “Your tasks for today.”

I looked at him and then activated the padd. Some more analysis. Perfect. Was he testing my patience? Or was it a job no other Cardassian wanted to do? Or was it my punishment? But what did I do? I wasn't late for sure - the bridge wasn't filled with day shift officers yet and I wouldn't believe so many of them would be late.

Karama entered. A few officers greeted him and he greeted them back. When he was passing by the engineering station, he greeted Zamarran and then looked at me without a word. How rude! I'll teach you good manners.

“Good morning, Gil,” I said.

He smiled warmly and nodded his greeting.

Ah?

Oh my, of course! I was supposed to greet him first as a lower ranking officer! How could I have forgotten about it! That's why Zamarran glared at me; he waited for my greeting and he thought I didn't offer it at once!

When the lift arrived the next time, it brought Glinn Brenok. He greeted no one, everyone greeted him. He just nodded, acknowledging their greetings. And finally the queen herself arrived. Greeted by everyone and answering everyone. She sat on her throne and I made myself busy with my task; it's better not to look at queen's face, this used to be punished by death in ancient times, no?

I glanced at Ullmann. She was busy with something too. I noticed her chair stood farther from the officer's, with whom she shared her console than mine from Zamarran's. I looked down and indeed – the chair was not attached to the floor. Mine wasn't, the chief engineer's was. If it comes to a battle and we get hit then I suppose Ullmann and I are out of luck.

I looked around to see if all officers were on the bridge. Would someone come after the Gul? Would it mean trouble?

Oh! There was another female there. I haven't noticed her before. She worked at her console, and if I recalled correctly, it was a tactician's post. So, this must be Dja Ma'Kan. Dja, as an Ensign. Hmm... If I outranked her, could I give her orders? Should she greet me first?

Everyone was busy. Sometimes there were hushed voices coming from here or there, as the officers conversed about duty matters, no doubt, but beside that it was quiet. Incredibly quiet. However it wasn't my impression that the atmosphere was dense. Even the Gul's presence didn't change it much from what I'd experienced yesterday. She was here, as busy as everyone else, and she didn't interfere with others' work, she didn't look over their shoulders, she didn't glare when they were whispering. And then, in that incredible – for a busy bridge – silence a sound appeared. At first I thought it was some console humming, or maybe engines' song, but no. The sound grew a bit louder, still fairly quiet, but clear. It was... a melody. Not engines humming. Not machine humming. I raised my head and looked around to find the source and the source was even more astonishing than the humming itself.

Glinn Brenok was singing under his breath. I looked at Ullmann and she stared at him too. I found Gul Jarol with my eyes, but she didn't show any reaction to the quiet concerto on her bridge. I looked at Zamarran, who was busy with something – he didn't seem to notice the humming at all. But Glinn Brenok was still humming and it didn't seem like he was going to stop.

“He does that often,” Zamarran said quietly.

“Sir?”

“The singing. He does that often.”

“Oh. The Gul doesn't mind?”

“I think she enjoys it,” the lines on his cheeks deepened.

“Isn't there some regulation against singing on the bridge, or on duty?”

“I don't think anyone thought of such a regulation.”

This wasn't just another Cardassian warship, was it? The Gul was a woman. The first officer was not only very young by Cardassian – and Federation – standards, but was also an active singer... Who knows what else I would learn about them?

Or was each and every warship that unique? This definitely was not what I had been told about Cardassians. They were supposed to be cruel, ruthless, heartless, brutal murderers. "Bloody Cardies." How could this handsome man with scars on his face, long hair and a really pleasant singing voice be all those bad things? If anything, the scars were the proof that there had been someone cruel and ruthless to him.

I knew we were heading to a planet, which they have been occupying for over a century. I guessed that the person, who inflicted these scars on Brenok's face, was most likely dead. I knew that the Gul terrified me with only her presence. I knew I was aboard a warship, which was built with pure purpose of fighting and annihilating.

But what I saw was a nice man, who sang on duty and no one minded. Another nice man, who was helping me with his advices to survive my first days among them without insulting them... too much. And another nice man, who accepted that I didn't mean anything wrong by my stupid questions. And a Gul, who let her officer sing on duty.

The Cardassians were not what I had expected them to be. I knew they couldn't be as bad as the news went – otherwise no one would make me come here – but I didn't expect them to be so... human. They weren't that different from us: they liked to joke; they followed their traditions and their strict social code; they had families and dearly cared for them; they knew what sacrifice meant and were ready to protect their home from dangers at any cost.

It was a good decision to come here. I was sure now more than ever that it wasn't a mistake. Whatever would happen, whatever the future would bring, I didn't regret volunteering for this project.

tbc
Old September 28 2010, 04:33 PM   #20
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I was wondering how long Brenok would be able to hold that in before he exploded!! How wonderful!

I hope that whenever they DO figure out human instincts are different, they won't be upset.
Old September 28 2010, 04:42 PM   #21
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

I think it was one of those cases when he wasn't even aware he was humming
Old September 29 2010, 01:35 AM   #22
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I figured it's like steam in a teapot...it eventually HAS to get out.

I sure hope that if she messes up in another way, that they'll really start to figure out what's different between Cardassians and humans. Maybe Jarol will figure it out when Kapoor doesn't think to report a certain situation, that there's something different?
Old September 29 2010, 04:16 AM   #23
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
I think that's quite accurate

I sure hope that if she messes up in another way, that they'll really start to figure out what's different between Cardassians and humans. Maybe Jarol will figure it out when Kapoor doesn't think to report a certain situation, that there's something different?
Some of Cardassians could think they should be lenient for a person, who has no "chain of command" instinct and would be more understanding if Kapoor makes mistakes. I think that's what Zamarran would think. He slowly comes to accept that she babbles without thinking and he doesn't take offence, as he knows it's just her way and she doesn't mean any disrespect. His attitude is a bit like Chinese treat foreigners, who know little of their culture - they are "barbarians" and need to be forgiven And educated

She says she likes him, but she doesn't realise he actually starts to like her too. He wouldn't admit it even to himself, but I think the fact that he smiles so much is telling.
Old September 29 2010, 04:33 AM   #24
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
I think that's quite accurate
Oh dear...now I have THIS in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrqxVfV39MY

I used to have a corporate training instructor who made people sing that, and do the dance, when they were late to class. Now I'm imagining Brenok ordering Kapoor to do that as a punishment for being late to the bridge!!!

Some of Cardassians could think they should be lenient for a person, who has no "chain of command" instinct and would be more understanding if Kapoor makes mistakes.
As long as they make sure not to see it as a disability, but as a natural trait of the species, that will be a HUGE help once they understand.

She says she likes him, but she doesn't realise he actually starts to like her too. He wouldn't admit it even to himself, but I think the fact that he smiles so much is telling.
I'd say she's still intimidated. I can't wait to see what makes that change--when she starts to realize that she might even be able to make friends, not just colleagues.
Old September 29 2010, 04:55 AM   #25
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

I used to have a corporate training instructor who made people sing that, and do the dance, when they were late to class. Now I'm imagining Brenok ordering Kapoor to do that as a punishment for being late to the bridge!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'd say she's still intimidated. I can't wait to see what makes that change--when she starts to realize that she might even be able to make friends, not just colleagues.
She is. He's not exactly a pal for her and she knows there is little to none chance he could ever be. However she starts to understand that in spite of the distance between them, he doesn't abuse his position to intimidate her and that he actually is quite nice (as nice as a high ranking Cardassian could be to someone, who he considers almost a teenager). He expects respect from her, as from any other young, low ranking Cardassian, but he's not patronising her.
Old September 29 2010, 05:51 AM   #26
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Now you're going to have that stuck in your head all day!
Old September 29 2010, 06:26 AM   #27
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Now you're going to have that stuck in your head all day!
I'll send Jarol to you and she's going to deal with it "the Damar way"
Old September 29 2010, 06:42 AM   #28
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Old September 29 2010, 07:06 AM   #29
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Brenok -> <-Nerys Ghemor
Old September 29 2010, 02:27 PM   #30
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Awwww! Cute smilie! And cute Cardassian!