RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,665
Members: 24,816
Currently online: 480
Newest member: CapSmith

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 26 2010, 10:20 PM   #1
Dream
Admiral

DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

The new season starts tonight. After the incredible Trinity Killer arc started last season, this show has been on a roll.

Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2010, 03:46 AM   #2
Dream
Admiral

Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

Nice start.

It interesting seeing how Dexter was such having a hard time expressing his feelings about what happened to Rita. I hope his kids stay around.
Old September 27 2010, 06:32 AM   #3
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Wow, that was as intense as I'd hoped. They sure upped the stakes further than I would have guessed with Dexter acting so damn guilty and drawing suspicion upon himself, and then him murdering that jackass in the bathroom, which is the most off-the-Code thing he's done so far.

We shouldn't overlook the gravity of that event. Until now, his worst offenses have been a) killing a pedophile who arguably wasn't an ongoing threat; b) killing a guy in self-defense in a situation that wouldn't have happened if Dexter hadn't been stalking someone else and c) killing an innocent photographer who he decided was guilty mainly because he just didn't like the guy.

But this wasn't a borderline case or an accident. Dexter deliberately murdered someone who he had no reason to suspect of anything more sinister than a bad personality. Even worse, it happened as a result of an emotional outburst, which he took as a sign of that he should return to his family?!? That's some disturbingly skewed logic. To become human is to become a threat to everyone around him. It doesn't look like the writers have forgotten the core logic of this premise, even if Dexter is now on a dangerous and delusional path.

I've been hoping for a happy ending for Dex after this season or the next, when I figure they need to end the series. But if this is an indication of things to come, the writers might plan to have Dexter spiral so far out of control that nothing but a tragic ending is plausible.

I have a feeling this is going to be one amazing season.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2010, 07:34 AM   #4
MichaelDornFan
Lieutenant Commander

It was definitely a wrap-up of last season.

The preview for next week makes it sound like the season's villain will be a cult who cuts people's faces off? Awesome.
MichaelDornFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Aragorn
Admiral

This season is supposed to be a bunch of mini-villains instead of one big bad.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2010, 08:53 AM   #6
Aaron McGuire
Fleet Captain

Great fucking episode. The whole thing was tense from beginning to end. I'm wondering if the murder in the bathroom is going to come back at all or if it'll get forgotten about.

Aaron McGuire
Old September 27 2010, 09:03 AM   #7
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Why does Quinn always look so pissed off? It's like every scene he's in he looks pissed off about something. I suspect Quinn will look into Dexter on his own. I wonder how that'll end up. Will Dexter have to kill him? or do they team up in the end? Lots of different things could happen. I'm sure they'll come up with something better than I can imagine.

Great episode tonight. This may be the best premiere of the show so far.
Old September 27 2010, 09:32 AM   #8
Dream
Admiral

What the hell is up with Deb and Quinn? Doesn't the guy know that sleeping with Deb on this show automatically means a death sentence?
Old September 27 2010, 09:42 AM   #9
MichaelDornFan
Lieutenant Commander

Was the funeral home scene supposed to be some Six Feet Under joke? :P
MichaelDornFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2010, 05:21 PM   #10
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Excellent start. I figured they were probably going to play Dexter into a spiral but to take it so far already was pretty shocking. Dexter has dug himself a pretty deep hole with his off-the-code murder of that jackass and his strange behavior towards the FBI and his family. One can only hope that he was able to dispose of the crime scene properly after his post-kill rally. He had the boat nearby, so maybe he was able to dispose of the body unseen. I think this is not at all certain based on his state of mind at the time however. I hope they'll come back to this, otherwise the details will continue to nag at me.

I'm enjoying the use of Harry at this point in the storyline. Dexter needs a co-conspirator, and so he imagines one in the form of his father. Yet this Harry is not really speaking as his father any more, and is increasingly starting to sound more and more like Dexter himself, speaking the things that Dexter is not yet willing to admit to himself consciously. It will be interesting to see how far they go with this.

I thought the flashback as goodbye scene for Rita was touching and well played.
Old September 27 2010, 05:26 PM   #11
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Jack Bauer wrote: View Post
Why does Quinn always look so pissed off? It's like every scene he's in he looks pissed off about something.
He IS always pissed off. He has a slightly better attitude than Doakes did though.

Great episode. I'm already anxious for the next episode.
Old September 27 2010, 07:27 PM   #12
Harvey
Admiral

I thought it was a terrific start to the season on almost all counts.

Some quibbles, though...

Everyone acts like the events of last season just happened, except for Quinn, whose girlfriend might have admitted she was a murderer right before committing suicide in front of him 1,000 years ago. There's a reason none of that's in the previously on montage. Second, I have a minor worry that the writers are going to treat the bathroom murder as trivial. I hope not. Dexter killed an innocent man in an emotional rage, with disregard to any witnesses being present, and in a way that must have DNA evidence everywhere.

I'm also worried that Angel will continue to have little or nothing to do. The writers are doing the best they can to follow up on the ill-advised marriage subplot from last season.

Finally, I noticed that at least two writers from 24 (Manny Coto and Chip Johannessen) have joined this serious. It's hard to know what effect they'll have on the long run of this series.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2010, 02:23 AM   #13
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
This season is supposed to be a bunch of mini-villains instead of one big bad.
I think they're finally ready for Dexter himself to be the big bad of the season.

One can only hope that he was able to dispose of the crime scene properly after his post-kill rally. He had the boat nearby, so maybe he was able to dispose of the body unseen. I think this is not at all certain based on his state of mind at the time however.
It just seemed so out of the blue that I'm sure there's some bigger agenda that the writers have in mind.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the writers are going to deal with Astor in the story. I wouldn't be surprised that of all the unkillable characters who might discover Dexter's secret, she would be the first. Something is definitely afoot in how Astor and Dexter's relationship is going to be developed.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2010, 07:49 AM   #14
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

This show just keeps getting better. I cannot wait to see where they are going next.

If I have one complaint it's that the young actress playing Astor really couldn't deliver that dramatic scene convincingly.
Old September 28 2010, 10:53 AM   #15
watermelony2k
Vice Admiral

That collection of blood slides will be dexter's ultimate downfall.
watermelony2k is offline   Reply With Quote