Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade Iron Man 2
Excellent 60 36.36%
Above Average 67 40.61%
Average 29 17.58%
Below Average 6 3.64%
Terrible 3 1.82%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 23 2010, 01:19 AM   #376
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Re: Iron Man 2: Grading, Review, Discussion **SPOILERS**

Inception'll likely be beautiful BD.
Old September 23 2010, 02:47 PM   #377
Landed
Lieutenant

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Iron Man 2 is still escapist fun. I contend that its a film that the more you watch it the better it gets. It's 'flaws' aren't that bad as many would contest. Even years later people here have said Spidey 3 or Temple of Doom isn't "as bad as they originally percieved it". I'm already in the 'its not a bad film camp' so yeah me.
I've seen the film twice and I have no desire to see it again. It's not a bad film by any means but it's a big disappointment and letdown especially after the first film which was so good. I would say the film is mediocre, on par with Daredevil or Ghost Rider but maybe a little better because it has the presence of Robert Downey Jr., which is the film's saving grace but not even him can inject the film with enough cleverness to make it that good. It's very dumb escapist fun, but it wasn't the clever type of entertaining escapist fun that the first movie was. Also, I still hate Spider-Man 3 and I never liked Temple of Doom, even though I'd rather sit through that movie than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull again.
I just had to quote this because it encompasses everything I would have said to a T, yet was done so in a style more eloquent than I could have ever hoped to aspire to.

Well said, JacksonArcher. Well said.
Landed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2010, 03:31 AM   #378
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

You all remember the "You Complete me" line in trailers that was ultimately cut from the final movie

this is the alternate scene/ opening where pepper throws his helmets and he jumps out and catches it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJBm1IyJ624
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2010, 03:36 AM   #379
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
You all remember the "You Complete me" line in trailers that was ultimately cut from the final movie

this is the alternate scene/ opening where pepper throws his helmets and he jumps out and catches it.

This is such a better opening. I'm not sure how or where you would place the Ivan Vanko sequence -- probably after the Stark Expo bit -- but that is such an insanely clever and funny opening that I'm puzzled that Favreau took it out.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2010, 03:42 AM   #380
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I think the only thing that doesn't work is the opening on Stark with his head in the toilet. Not the best reintroduction to Tony after 2yrs away.
One could argue it foreshadows 'drunk Tony coping with death' later in the film but first thing in the film really wasn't ideal.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2010, 03:44 AM   #381
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post

I think the only thing that doesn't work is the opening on Stark with his head in the toilet. Not the best reintroduction to Tony after 2yrs away.
One could argue it foreshadows 'drunk Tony coping with death' later in the film but first thing in the film really wasn't ideal.
Oh, I think that's hilarious! How often do you a see a superhero film open with the superhero hungover? It would have been unique, clever, and fresh. Something new that totally fits with the type of superhero film Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr. were going for in the first film and failed to capture in the second film.
Old September 24 2010, 03:47 AM   #382
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Oh, I think that's hilarious! How often do you a see a superhero film open with the superhero hungover? It would have been unique, clever, and fresh. Something new that totally fits with the type of superhero film Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr. were going for in the first film and failed to capture in the second film.
I get the humor of it just not the best "Hey gang Tony here...oh, wait..ughhh...ok kids I'm back!!" moment . Everything else is tame enough though.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2010, 03:51 AM   #383
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

I get the humor of it just not the best "Hey gang Tony here...oh, wait..ughhh...ok kids I'm back!!" moment . Everything else is tame enough though.
I like that it takes a risk by opening up with him at the toilet after voiceover of him sounding like he's dying. It's just too hysterical for me to condemn.
Old September 24 2010, 04:16 AM   #384
Yassim
Fleet Captain

I saw this movie on an airplane with the sound off, but it looked to me like it stole its ending from Ghostbusters.

"Don't cross the streams!! We have to cross the streams!!"
Old September 24 2010, 04:21 AM   #385
Aragorn
Admiral

I liked Iron Man 2 for what it was, but was extremely underwhelmed by it. The pacing was off and the action was pretty dull other than the racing scene. It also seemed more like a commercial for The Avengers than an Iron Man movie.

I tend to believe the rumors of studio interference, especially considering how Kevin Feige carries himself in public.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2010, 08:44 AM   #386
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

I liked it but not as much as the first one.
Old September 24 2010, 02:20 PM   #387
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Yeah the original opening scene would have been tremendous had it been kept for the film...I forgot now why Favs said he removed it. I'm glad it will be on the DVD. Just gives the opening sequences more depth and humor in what is kind of a dark story if you think about it.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2010, 06:37 PM   #388
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
Either way I'll be getting Iron Man 2, will you?
Pre-ordered it on blu for a mere $15.
Really? I'm curious where and how many discs that is for?
Amazon and Deep Discount are the two I normally check.

Link please? I may have to preorder it to then.
Sadly (or luckily, depending on your point of view) it was only due to a "pricing error" at Walmart. They're honoring the $15 preorder price for those who got in before they caught it, but everyone else has to pay the full $25.
Old September 24 2010, 06:59 PM   #389
T'Baio
Admiral

I liked Iron Man 2 better than most people seem to, but even I think that alternate opening would have been way better than what we got.

I can almost guarantee someone somewhere (Feige?) told Favreau that he couldn't open the movie that way.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2010, 09:06 PM   #390
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Loved IM2, possibly more than the first, and definitely prefer the theatrical opening. Tony and Pepper are just too chummy in that opening compared to the friction that they then exhibit until the end.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote