RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,717
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 768
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old September 22 2010, 11:41 AM   #841
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Re: USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

I like those impulse engines

(Oh, those TrekXI-style name/registration-lights do make a bit more sense than the usual single large spotlight, right?)
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2010, 03:30 PM   #842
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

ST-One wrote: View Post
I like those impulse engines

(Oh, those TrekXI-style name/registration-lights do make a bit more sense than the usual single large spotlight, right?)
They do! But electro-luminescent materials in the paint itself makes even more sense. I'm thinking a thing white line around the black text that glows softly such that it doesn't appear emissive in direct sunlight, but is still visible in the dark. But it doesn't look Trekkish at all.
Old September 22 2010, 06:45 PM   #843
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

If I recall, Deg (if it was someone else, please forgive me) did a test with glowing letters and it ended up looking a bit daft.
Old September 23 2010, 07:45 AM   #844
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
If I recall, Deg (if it was someone else, please forgive me) did a test with glowing letters and it ended up looking a bit daft.
Yeah, I've seen such test-renders too. It just doesn't look good.
Old September 23 2010, 03:27 PM   #845
Psion
Commodore

Well, as I said, it doesn't look Trekkish, but it does make more sense than throwing a spotlight on paint. I do remember Deg's experiments in this regard, but I don't think they were exhaustive. Futuristic signage might also take the form of simply lighting the area as though it was a display surface. But, again, this moves farther away from a Star Trek look. At some point, I want to dig into this more, but I want to make a nice model first.
Old September 23 2010, 04:51 PM   #846
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Psion wrote: View Post
Well, as I said, it doesn't look Trekkish, but it does make more sense than throwing a spotlight on paint.
I agree.
Old September 23 2010, 08:51 PM   #847
Psion
Commodore

Well, as I said, it doesn't look Trekkish, but it does make more sense than throwing a spotlight on paint.
I agree.
Now I'm gonna get really wonky. Let's assume it's some sort of luminescent electrophoretic technology. Something like a 23rd century version of the display used in e-book readers.

It could animate.

U.S.S. GRANDEUR
[scroll]
NCC-90125-A
[scroll]
UNITED FEDERATION OF PLANETS
[scroll]
STARDATE 50368.2:33
[scroll]
-270° CELSIUS
[scroll]
SPECIAL ON TRIBBLES
[scroll]
U.S.S. GRANDEUR
Old September 23 2010, 09:33 PM   #848
TrekkieMonster
Commodore

I agree.
Now I'm gonna get really wonky. Let's assume it's some sort of luminescent electrophoretic technology. Something like a 23rd century version of the display used in e-book readers.

It could animate.

U.S.S. GRANDEUR
[scroll]
NCC-90125-A
[scroll]
[scroll]
[scroll]
-270° CELSIUS
[scroll]
SPECIAL ON TRIBBLES
[scroll]
U.S.S. GRANDEUR

And Vektor, always nice to see progress on this little gem.
Old September 24 2010, 07:57 AM   #849
ST-One
Vice Admiral

I agree.

It could animate.

U.S.S. GRANDEUR
[scroll]
NCC-90125-A
[scroll]
[scroll]
[scroll]
-270° CELSIUS
[scroll]
SPECIAL ON TRIBBLES
[scroll]
U.S.S. GRANDEUR
[scroll]
Andorian Shingles-free for forty-seven weeks

[scroll]
... never mind
Old September 24 2010, 03:41 PM   #850
FrontLine
Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to FrontLine

Very nice. I like the base colors you have laid down and as always eagerly await your next update. Hey who knows you could finish this project up before my eldest graduates from High School this year.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"

"Im happier than a tornado in a trailer park" - Tow Mater - Cars
FrontLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2010, 03:55 PM   #851
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

FrontLine wrote: View Post
Hey who knows you could finish this project up before my eldest graduates from High School this year.
Heh. I'm not convinced he'll finish it before MY oldest finishes High School... in 2027!

Just joshin'. I know the only reason you're not done is because you're always trying to make it better.
Old September 24 2010, 05:50 PM   #852
sojourner
Vice Admiral

FrontLine wrote: View Post
Very nice. I like the base colors you have laid down and as always eagerly await your next update. Hey who knows you could finish this project up before my eldest graduates from High School this year.
Pretty sure that's totally untextured. We're just seeing place holder coloring.
Old September 24 2010, 08:26 PM   #853
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Vektor wrote: View Post
Well, it's been a very long time coming, but finally... UPDATE!

This isn't as huge and dramatic as I had planned for my big comeback to this project, but I wanted to get something posted before I have to roll out of town on business for the rest of the week.

I should have more by some time this weekend.
Buetiful and Majestic WIP
Old September 26 2010, 03:18 AM   #854
Praetor
Vice Admiral

She lives! Looking awesome.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2010, 06:54 AM   #855
Vektor
Rear Admiral

As promised, here's a whole big batch of new WIPs. Lots of detailing added to the auxilliary deflector dish and the bridge deck and surrounding areas. More notes on specific features at the bottom of this post.

The colors used around the aux deflector are not final. The rust brown panels follow established precedent but I'm not convinced that they really fit with the rest of the color scheme or what they will look like when the dish lights up.

The name and registry light has finally been revealed. Sorry to dash the hopes of those of you who were expecting a shuttle bay or something more exotic.

The back half of B-deck is still pretty plain but you will undoubtedly notice the "sword" laid out behind the bridge-deck rear windows. One of the design goals for this ship is to integrate a number of unique features related to its Arthurian inspiration and this is one of them. It is actually intended to be functional, not just aesthetic, though I have no idea at the moment what that function might be. The end result should be a bit more subtle once the rest of the detailing is added.

Finally, the grills that wrap around the back half of the bridge-deck are not vents or exhaust ports or anything like that. Eventually those pits will be filled with some heavy greebling and a few point lights to suggest sensor arrays or something similarly techy.

By the way, for those who are interested, current face count is running about 450,000, though that is actually down a bit as I have begun freezing and optimizing some of the Sub-D objects. I'm hoping to keep the final model under the half a million mark, but we'll see.