Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old September 19 2010, 09:12 PM   #256
kkozoriz1
Fleet Captain

Re: TOS Enterprise WIP

If it's armored underneath there could be panels that could be ejected in case of a breach. You could eject the section that's breached and replace it later.
kkozoriz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2010, 11:03 PM   #257
blssdwlf
Commodore

@CRA - That's cool. My arrangement is one of many possible ones out there and mine isn't meant to be "the one"

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Why add to those problems by running the main power lines right up against the hull?
I don't think it adds any more to the problem since they are being lead off of the already exposed warp pylons and must come into the engineering hull to get to the dilithium crystals. Regardless of where the circuit / power line is, any direct hit to the area where the two warp pylons connect on the engineering hull would be crippling.

Thinking about TOS and the TOS movies, there aren't really many circumstances that a starship will survive un-shielded against full power weapons at close range.

It took only 4 phaser beams (2 volleys) from within transporter range to destroy an unshielded (but hurt) Klingon Battlecruiser in "Day of the Dove".

Full power phasers from the Enterprise at moderate to long ranges killed all the crew of the Excalibur in "The Ultimate Computer". If M-5 took the time to get closer to the Excalibur it's a good chance there wouldn't be anything left of the ship to salvage. (Note: this is not based on the Remastered FX version which employs the usual TNG point-blank visual distance mentality.)

"The Wrath of Khan" showed what would happen if a ship's energisers were precisely targeted with low powered phasers. The outcome would've been far different and catastrophic for the Enterprise if Khan instead went after the antimatter fuel or if he instead fired at full power (think USS Grissom and "The Search for Spock".)

Speaking of which, General Chang's BOP in "The Undiscovered Country" had terrible targeting. He got like 14 hits on the Enterprise, with one when burning through what was left of the shields and he's targeting the saucer? He should have targeted the bottom and/or the spine of the engineering hull
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2010, 11:41 PM   #258
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

blssdwlf, JonnyQuest037, et.al. extremely impressive technical structural breakdown of the Enterprise.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2010, 04:23 AM   #259
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

I think Chang was going by the Ming the Merciless school of combat.

"I like to play with things a while....before annihilation."
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2010, 05:54 AM   #260
JonnyQuest037
Commodore

Galileo7 wrote: View Post
blssdwlf, JonnyQuest037, et.al. extremely impressive technical structural breakdown of the Enterprise.
Don't give me any credit for it. That is all blssdwlf's work. I was just quoting his posted art in my response. What he's done here is way beyond my capabilites as a technical artist.
Old September 20 2010, 08:31 PM   #261
Mytran
Fleet Captain

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
Here's a WIP of the Season 2+ Energiser layout. Not much different except the relocation of the dilithium crystals to the floor structure in the engine room and takes up part of the deck below. The deck below the engine room happens to be the 7th deck in the engineering hull in my particular setup
I notice in this S2 setup that you've kept the old Alternative Factor energiser room in - any thoughts on what it might do now that the crystals are no longer located there?
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2010, 02:49 AM   #262
blssdwlf
Commodore

Mytran wrote: View Post
I notice in this S2 setup that you've kept the old Alternative Factor energiser room in - any thoughts on what it might do now that the crystals are no longer located there?
Hi Mytran,

No thoughts yet. I figure as I add S2 hallways and rooms in based on episodes that room or area could be used if necessary. Until then, it could remain an access point for repairing the energiser

A couple of test renders of what I have now.

Old September 21 2010, 02:54 AM   #263
Albertese
Commodore

I figured it was all there all the time. I always thought that the paddle-shaped crystals seen in the "Alternative Factor" and other episodes were used for specific applications in different pieces of equipment throughout the engineering systems. So there's no reason why it couldn't still be there.

In my own arrangement, I put the "Alternative Factor" room in the saucer as part of a separate power generation facility. (For what it's worth, I but it below the sickbay, linking two engine rooms in the saucer.) I was thinking of the saucer a separate vessel from the engineering hull since it was meant to be a lifeboat in emergencies. However, the more I think about this stuff blssdwlf is doing, the more I like everything about the layout.

--Alex
Old September 22 2010, 02:57 AM   #264
blssdwlf
Commodore

Just posting a few ramblings about the way the dilithium crystals and phaser banks worked in TOS that I noticed.

It would seem that there are four phaser banks that feed the various phaser emitters on the ship but no pair of emitters can pump out all four charged banks simultaneously. In "The Paradise Syndrome" a phaser bank discharging fires a pair of full power phaser beams but the other three banks are still ready to go. Presumably then if the ship was surrounded it could simultaneously fire 4 pairs of phasers. As each bank is discharged they would be recharged at a rate determined by what power is available.

The dilithium crystals being the main power source actually is very clever because it is pretty much "magic" They could store colossal amounts of energy (maybe even increase the amount you put in ) that would be available for immediate use to energise other systems. This could free the ship from needing a massive antimatter fuel gulping reactor and instead a more economical one that feeds the dilithium as it is slowly discharged. Only under heavy loads like full power phasers+shields+hard warp engine use would the system discharge at a rate where the M/AM reactor(s) might not be able to recharge them fast enough.

Anyway, just some ramblings

Last edited by blssdwlf; September 22 2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Not That Which Survives :)
Old September 22 2010, 06:04 AM   #265
QuinnTV
Lieutenant Commander

Wow. Damn, this thread is impressive. blssdwlf, you've done great work!
QuinnTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2010, 07:03 AM   #266
Tom Riley
Commodore

View Tom Riley's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Tom Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Riley

This is some really awesome work! And I do like how you're doing the machinery first, it really makes it seem like you would be able to take this and build the real thing with it.
Tom Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2010, 04:43 AM   #267
blssdwlf
Commodore

A little WIP of the TWOK Torpedo Room

Old September 30 2010, 07:57 PM   #268
Albertese
Commodore

Funny: I always thought the torpedo room would make a good Klingon bridge....

HA!

--Alex
Old October 1 2010, 01:08 AM   #269
blssdwlf
Commodore

^^LOL Those tricky Klingons. I bet the guys that raided the Enterprise in ST3 must have got a sense of dejavu when running around that part of the ship!
Old October 22 2010, 08:54 AM   #270
blssdwlf
Commodore

Taking a break from the TWOK torpedo bay after thinking about the gym/multipurpose complex from "Charlie X" and "The Conscience of the King" and put together a quick WIP. As far as I can tell, it's about 2 decks tall (snap, there goes my 3 deck theory for "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" ). We don't get enough of a 360 to see all the walls and rooms, so there are quite a few blank spots... There probably is another entryway into the complex based on "The Conscience of the King".