CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 15 2010, 04:59 PM   #16
Brown-Eyed Ghoul
Vice Admiral

Re: Worf is VEGAN!

I thought Vegans were people from Las Vegas.
Brown-Eyed Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2010, 10:11 PM   #17
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Good for him, I'm a vegan too (and a meatan, and a choclan...)
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2010, 04:58 AM   #18
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Good for him... I would die of starvation though.
Old September 17 2010, 09:31 PM   #19
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

captrek wrote: View Post
There’s a scene in The Challenge, with Scott Glenn and Toshiro Mifune, in which Glenn’s character is having dinner with Japanese who are eating live worms. They goad him into trying it, and after swallowing it he said, “I can feel it moving around!” obviously very disturbed, and he grabbed a vessel of sake and started guzzling. The Japanese all laughed at him.

Anybody know anything about live worms in Japanese cuisine?

(Actually, I’m not sure it was worms. It might have been eels or snakes or something. Definitely something long and wiggly.)
They were Sake worms. They drown them in the rice wine. They're kind of like Tequila worms. Basically, if you get the worm you have to drink it, that's the rules. The Sake worms take a while to drown in the alcohol, and that's why they were still moving.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 06:38 PM   #20
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

My assumption is that Klingons are carnivores like cats are: meat is necessary to their survival. Possibly, live meat is necessary to their survival. Dead flesh may lose some kind of vital nutrient. And of course, copious amounts of bloodwine is an absolute must!
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 07:54 PM   #21
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
My assumption is that Klingons are carnivores like cats are: meat is necessary to their survival. Possibly, live meat is necessary to their survival.
Meat, perhaps, but not live meat. How much live meat do you think Worf would've eaten growing up on Earth?

Also, I do not think Michael Dorn looks unhealthy.
Professor McGonagall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2010, 02:13 AM   #22
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
My assumption is that Klingons are carnivores like cats are: meat is necessary to their survival. Possibly, live meat is necessary to their survival.
Meat, perhaps, but not live meat. How much live meat do you think Worf would've eaten growing up on Earth?
I treat myself to steak tartar and kibbeh often enough. If it's that easy for me to get raw meat, then I'm sure getting it even fresher wouldn't be THAT problematic for a Klingon on earth.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2010, 08:23 PM   #23
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
I treat myself to steak tartar and kibbeh often enough. If it's that easy for me to get raw meat, then I'm sure getting it even fresher wouldn't be THAT problematic for a Klingon on earth.
Big difference between raw (that's most everything in the meat department) and live.

A question I hadn't thought about before: Isn't it just gagh that Klingons eat live? Or also other foods?

Also, I don't remember... Did Worf's family know that much about Klingon culture?
Old September 19 2010, 08:35 PM   #24
ArcherFanForever
Lieutenant Commander

seekertwo wrote: View Post
T'Girl wrote: View Post
STFan wrote: View Post
Michael Dorn is looking good!
From the picture, Dorn looks like he's going through chemo-therapy and radiation, he appeared better when he was consuming the flesh of the beast.

Agreed...he looks like something a Klingon has already chewed on....
He looked GREAT up on stage at the Vegas Con! Even talked about his 6 pack, but refused to give us lady fans a peek....
ArcherFanForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2010, 11:05 PM   #25
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral

ArcherFanForever wrote: View Post
He looked GREAT up on stage at the Vegas Con! Even talked about his 6 pack, but refused to give us lady fans a peek....
Sure that was Vegas Con and not Vegan Con?

I'm jealous. I'd love to see Michael Dorn. Better yet, I'd like to meet him.
Old September 21 2010, 11:15 AM   #26
Joshua Howard
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joshua Howard

I ate two big plates full of lettuce-y salad earlier in the week, and then I vomited. I didn't like that experience, and it will be a while before I eat large helpings of salad again. I think greens are good for people, but I also learned from that that it may be possible to eat them in excess.

I went through a phase, actually, when I tried to be vegan some time ago, and it didn't really work out. Even if I pulled it off personally, there's no way I would limit where I could dine out or impose the limitations on guests or company. I am of the opinion that it makes sense to eat animal products conservatively though; so instead of having Steak and potatoes and some vegetables as a side, I'd personally make it Spaghetti and potatoes or something like that with a side of something with meat.

Well anyway, good luck to Warf/Dorn. I'm sure the character of Mr. Warf would be a little bit grumbly at the prospect of veganism though.

- The Call of the Wild, by Jack London
Joshua Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2010, 03:37 PM   #27
KimMH
Rear Admiral

Joshua Howard wrote: View Post

Well anyway, good luck to Warf/Dorn. I'm sure the character of Mr. Warf would be a little bit grumbly at the prospect of veganism though.

It almost sounds like the shortest lived protest group of Klingons ever. Vegan Klingons. Alas they were extincted by their fellow Klingons who were offended at the very idea!
Old September 22 2010, 02:39 AM   #28
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Klingons probably cannot eat a vegan diet anyway.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2010, 04:34 AM   #29
Yersinia P.
Cadet

I can't see why Klingons can't be vegans. With protein resequencers in the Trek universe, supplements, and so on nutrition wouldn't ever be an issue. I also imagine that the vast majority of those in the Federation would be vegans, enslaving a species because it tastes nice? Just on a side note... Being a healthy vegan is easy and you no longer have blood on your hands its all good
Yersinia P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2010, 02:50 PM   #30
siskokid888
Fleet Captain

I hate PETA. While I agree in principle with alot of their stances, they go about their business like a bunch of jackasses. They are almost as bad as the Tea Baggers. Actually, nothing is as bad as the Tea Baggers.

P.S. I do like the naked chick campaigns, though!
"Enterprise, starship, the places you've been to, the things that you've shown us, the stories you tell, Enterprise, starship we sing to your spirit and the beings that have served you so long and so well"
siskokid888 is offline   Reply With Quote