A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 1 20.00%
Above Average 3 60.00%
Average 1 20.00%
Below Average 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 18 2010, 01:06 AM   #16
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Re: Devil - Grading & Discussion

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
My guess (so not a spoiler) - all of the people have done evil things and the Devil is coming to get them.
Can't he just claim them after they die? That's the usual method. Does he have to intervene because otherwise they'll somehow escape him? Seriously, what would be the point?

They could become good, if given the chance to live. Or, if you're into that sort of thing, "form a personal relationship with Christ" and all that nonsense. Although you'd think being confronted with the Devil would be the quickest way possible to convince someone to sincerely pray to Jesus.

I hope some folks watch this. I'm really interested in seeing the reactions to this film, but not nearly as interested in actually forming any opinion of my own, for obvious reasons.

Well, at least until the inevitable Rifftrax is out.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 02:29 AM   #17
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The movie wasn't screened for critics which by itself speaks volumes. Some of the reviews that've came out online over the last few hours have not been promising. This is one I [I]wanted[/ I] to go see out of morbid curiosity and because it looked interesting and M.Night's involvement in it is actually fairly little all things considered. Still. Out of morbid curiosity I also want to try electrified nipple clamps. So...

Last edited by Trekker4747; September 18 2010 at 02:58 AM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 02:55 AM   #18
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
My guess (so not a spoiler) - all of the people have done evil things and the Devil is coming to get them.
Can't he just claim them after they die? That's the usual method. Does he have to intervene because otherwise they'll somehow escape him? Seriously, what would be the point?
They could become good, if given the chance to live. Or, if you're into that sort of thing, "form a personal relationship with Christ" and all that nonsense.
I'm embarrassed. Those are supposed to be the beliefs I subscribe to, and I didn't think about that! Too busy being snarky and cynical, I guess.

Although you'd think being confronted with the Devil would be the quickest way possible to convince someone to sincerely pray to Jesus.
Ah yes, the old "foxhole conversion."

Really though, I think I'm still trying to figure out what the nature of Hell and the Devil are supposed to be in an essentially atheistic Hollywood. Faith or salvation don't seem to play much part in it. Here we have a Devil who's apparently allowed to manifest himself in an elevator and... do whatever it is he's going to do. So why doesn't he just hang around permanently? I'd bet money this movie doesn't show a God or Jesus that's stopping him. And I'd bet double that anyone in the movie who actually does pray to Jesus will be shown up as a buffoon, or die a horrible death, or both.

In the Hellraiser movies, you've got a Hell that doesn't appear to be a normal afterlife at all, but it's still populated by immortal beings who traffic in immortal souls. And they'll take anyone they can get their hands ... err, chains on, not just the condemned. Does that mean they have the power to waylay someone from the afterlife they were meant for?

In Drag Me To Hell, you've got a gypsy woman with the power to curse someone to the traditional hell, in retaliation for a comparatively minor offense. So let me get this straight: she can exercise eternal judgement over someone else's soul for no real cause? How is it that she's not ruling the world?

I wouldn't presume to ask what the rules are in these movies, or get someone to explain the inconsistencies. I'm just trying to understand the mindset and world-view that comes up with this stuff.
Old September 18 2010, 03:10 AM   #19
Mr Light
Admiral

BTW, the wikipedia page has a huge spoiler right in the cast list. Don't look at it if you wanna see the movie unspoiled.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 04:54 AM   #20
Nowhere Man
Commodore

What gets me is M. Night is clearly talented and creative and original in many ways. It's a shame the he continues to pump out crap. I haven't seen this movie so I can't judge, but I don't understand how that happens. Lennon and Mcartney did the same thing in their solo careers, not all of the time, but a lot more than you would expect from such talented people. The thing is it;s not like he's that old and i'm sure he's given decent budgets, so i'm lost.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 07:08 AM   #21
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

it actually wasn't that bad of a movie. i went in expecting it to be terrible but it was entertaining. parts were slow and there was a lot of shots with people just reacting to what they see on a computer screen. still, it was alright. not great, not terrible. i'd say rent it one night to kill some time.
Old September 18 2010, 11:21 AM   #22
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

HunterB5446 wrote: View Post
What gets me is M. Night is clearly talented and creative and original in many ways. It's a shame the he continues to pump out crap. I haven't seen this movie so I can't judge, but I don't understand how that happens. Lennon and Mcartney did the same thing in their solo careers, not all of the time, but a lot more than you would expect from such talented people. The thing is it;s not like he's that old and i'm sure he's given decent budgets, so i'm lost.
It's worth repeating that M.Night had almost nothing to do with this movie. All he did was come up with the story. He pretty much said, "I've got a story about people trapped in an elevator, one of them might be the Devil." Then someone else produced it, someone else wrote the screenplay and someone else directed it.

So it's not, entirely, fair to judge M.Night (one way or the other) with this movie. (It's just humorous to me his name was used to "promote" the movie.)
Old September 18 2010, 11:26 AM   #23
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

HunterB5446 wrote: View Post
What gets me is M. Night is clearly talented and creative and original in many ways. It's a shame the he continues to pump out crap. I haven't seen this movie so I can't judge, but I don't understand how that happens.
I don't know if this is the case with Shyamalan, but I'd imagine as you grow more popular and well-respected as a director you gain a degree of independence from studio interference that you wouldn't have enjoyed before. Many times the studio can interfere negatively in a production, but other times they may curb the director's own bad choices and tendencies.

I actually think he's very good as a director at setting a mood and building suspense, he just needs a "no man" at his side at all times to prevent him from writing himself into the script as a writer who saves the world or to point out glaring flaws in story logic like the fact that aliens who are allergic to water probably aren't going to visit a planet covered in it whilst announcing their presence beforehand despite having cloaking devices (to name just two of the countless flaws in 'Signs,' which I still liked in spite of that).

Even in his worst movies there are some genuinely scary and creepy parts: the grassy-pancake-wolf-thingies in 'Lady in the Water' were kind of freaky despite being ridiculous, and the mass suicides in 'The Happening' were creepy as hell until you find out it was an attack by environmentally conscious greenery. So, I don't think directing a compelling or frightening scene is his problem. He just needs a strong filmmaking partner to work with him from start to finish, I think.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 11:49 AM   #24
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Oh like you wouldn't visit a planet so filled with poison that it actually exists in the air itself! Seriously, if the aliens reacted so strongly to water (which sort-of brings up questions on how they are alive to begin with considering water is a fairly necessary component to life) why didn't something as simply as the humidity in the air react with them?
Old September 18 2010, 12:15 PM   #25
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Oh like you wouldn't visit a planet so filled with poison that it actually exists in the air itself!
I would, but I'd have at least worn a space suit instead of walking around butt naked. Something about that no visible genitalia thing just makes aliens want to go running around in their birthday suits.

I'd also bring a Transphasic Quantum Magnetometric GPS or two so I don't have to rely on crop circles to guide my spaceships in for a landing, but that's just me.

It's almost as if the aliens were the Griswolds of space and the Earth was the galaxy's largest ball of mud that they wanted to visit on a whim while heading somewhere else.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 04:41 PM   #26
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Oh like you wouldn't visit a planet so filled with poison that it actually exists in the air itself!
I would, but I'd have at least worn a space suit instead of walking around butt naked. Something about that no visible genitalia thing just makes aliens want to go running around in their birthday suits.

I'd also bring a Transphasic Quantum Magnetometric GPS or two so I don't have to rely on crop circles to guide my spaceships in for a landing, but that's just me.

It's almost as if the aliens were the Griswolds of space and the Earth was the galaxy's largest ball of mud that they wanted to visit on a whim while heading somewhere else.

I'm picturing one of the aliens singing "Love for Sale" after encountering an Orion woman in a convertible.

And no one's telling me that the aliens didn't know that water was like acid to them. Water is the easiest substance in the universe to make; you burn Hydrogen. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe and the aliens were obviously tolerant to an Oxygen environment. So in all of their scientific history that's led up to them building intersystem space ships no one tried to light a room full of Hydrogen and Oxygen gas on fire only to discover it produced acid vapor?
Old September 18 2010, 04:51 PM   #27
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Like most of Shyamalan's movies, Devil has a lot of suspense and build-up and you feel like you really want the movie to get to it's point. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it just is what it is. I guess that's the nature of suspense thrillers, but you especially feel that way with this movie. Devil is also similar to Lady in the Water in that there's a character (a religious security guard) who knows the legend of the devil and helps both the characters and the audience with what's going on and what to expect. This time though, the characters start off dismissing this "religious nut" and what he has to offer. I won't say how the movie ends, but I liked it. It felt somewhat rushed and glossed over, but I liked it. Felt like a Twilight Zone episode with a moral at the end. I couldn't decide between 'average' and 'above avarage'. I think I'll go with 'above average' for its engaging story, decent ending and good performances from no-name actors.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Are people actually going to bother seeing this?
I did and I was very much looking forward to it.

Shurik wrote: View Post
So, due his recent string of successes, M. Night had enough budget only to film in an elevator?
It takes place in and around a building in Philadelphia. Even if it did take place in just an elevator, it still might have been interesting. Cube, Phone Booth and an episode of Babylon 5 pulled off the "all in one room" thing quite well. There's also an upcoming movie with Ryan Reynolds called Burried and from what I've read, the whole thing takes place in a coffin.

Ethros wrote: View Post
It's only produced by MNS.
It's worth repeating that M.Night had almost nothing to do with this movie. All he did was come up with the story. He pretty much said, "I've got a story about people trapped in an elevator, one of them might be the Devil." Then someone else produced it, someone else wrote the screenplay and someone else directed it.
It still looks and feels very much like something written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan himself.

And about Signs, it, like most of Shyamalan's movies, has problems with logic (aliens harmed by water), but it did extremely well at portraying an alien invasion from the perspective of a regular family with the right mood to go with it.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 05:08 PM   #28
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post

I'm picturing one of the aliens singing "Love for Sale" after encountering an Orion woman in a convertible.

And no one's telling me that the aliens didn't know that water was like acid to them. Water is the easiest substance in the universe to make; you burn Hydrogen. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe and the aliens were obviously tolerant to an Oxygen environment. So in all of their scientific history that's led up to them building intersystem space ships no one tried to light a room full of Hydrogen and Oxygen gas on fire only to discover it produced acid vapor?
Wasn't it more like there was something in the water? IIRC the little girl wouldn't drink the water because she thought there was something wrong with it which is why she left all those glasses of water around the house.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 05:17 PM   #29
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ Good catch. It's been brought up before, but I keep forgetting, only to get pulled back into the consensus that the aliens were harmed by simple water. I don't know if there's anything in the movie to discredit this idea though. Hope not, because it works.

I'd bet money this movie doesn't show a God or Jesus that's stopping him.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 05:31 PM   #30
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Anything I've ever read or seen says it was the water, can't say I've ever seen anything about it being something in the water.