Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old September 16 2010, 10:23 PM   #31
J. Allen
Going Nowhere Fast

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: I Feel Odd...

Kommander wrote: View Post
it might be the year in itself. 2010. Anyone born in the mid-80s or earlier has spent a good amount of their life thinking of the year 2000 as the moment when the future gets started. Here it is, ten years after the "beginning" of the "future." The future is in the past, but it feels like the present. It can be disorienting.
That makes a lot of sense, too.
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2010, 10:24 PM   #32
Jetfire

If things are the same in 2015...

Old September 16 2010, 10:25 PM   #33
J. Allen
Going Nowhere Fast

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Jetfire wrote: View Post
If things are the same in 2015...

Then you push onward. Every day is a new day to start fresh.

See what I mean? Then again, I might just be a case of "Physician heal thyself".
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2010, 12:37 AM   #34
kes7
Fleet Captain

Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
After getting some sleep, I do feel a bit better today. I put on a little Oasis - "What's the Story, Morning Glory?" and felt better, too.
Okay, see, that's the stuff I cannot do, or I wind up a sniffly mess at 2 AM. Me+late 90s music=wayyyyyy too much introspection for anyone's good.
Old September 17 2010, 01:04 AM   #35
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I think my stint of unemployment (going on 27 months now) has really brought my optimism down to a dull finish. A job would give me something to shoot for, a way back to moving forward instead of standing still.

I'd much rather be the optimist I was than the pessimist that sits at the edge of my awareness.
I can definitely see what a constant drag that would be on your self-esteem and motivation. But if you're standing still in that regard, why not try to move forward in other areas? It won't solve the unemployment issue, but you could build your self-confidence through other areas of improvement.

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Seriously, great attitude Kestra! I think that is perfect and kudos to you! There's nothing more powerful than a person who knows what they want and how they can get it. The great thing is that you've already positioned yourself for this change, you're doing it. Much better than sitting around moping about it while time goes by.
Heh, thanks. It's been a big boost to my self-esteem in an unexpected way. I feel intelligent and capable in ways I didn't before. I think sometimes it's about a combination of things, doing something when you're ready to and not when you're forced to.

I have added a constant undercurrent of anxiety about getting into graduate school, but I try to tell myself I'll deal with that when the time comes.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2010, 03:32 AM   #36
scotpens
Vice Admiral

I try to keep heart and remember the line from the Desiderata that says, “If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.”
I prefer the line from National Lampoon's Deteriorata: “Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself, and heed well their advice, even though they be turkeys.”
scotpens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2010, 03:42 AM   #37
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Servo wrote: View Post
Ever since I hit 30 (just over a year ago), I've been feeling like time is catching up with me. Most of the people I went to school with have families of their own, while I'm not even seeing anyone at the moment. A lot of them have careers, while I'm still looking for something that engages me enough to stick with for more than 6 months.
None of this is necessarily bad. The fact that you're searching for a job that interests you is a good thing instead of just starting one and sticking with it forever even if you hate it. A lot of people do that. Ditto with getting married.
Old September 17 2010, 12:27 PM   #38
Servo
Rear Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Servo wrote: View Post
Ever since I hit 30 (just over a year ago), I've been feeling like time is catching up with me. Most of the people I went to school with have families of their own, while I'm not even seeing anyone at the moment. A lot of them have careers, while I'm still looking for something that engages me enough to stick with for more than 6 months.
None of this is necessarily bad. The fact that you're searching for a job that interests you is a good thing instead of just starting one and sticking with it forever even if you hate it. A lot of people do that. Ditto with getting married.
Aye, I know. I'm generally ok with it, on a day-to-day basis, I'm relatively happy with things. I have fantastic friends (two of whom, I live with), an amazing family (parents and sister), and I love how much freedom I have in my life. I just have occasional days where I wonder where the time went, as it does sometimes feel like the last 10 years just vanished into the ether, with not a great deal of accomplishments to show for it.

Not to worry, though. Every day is another opportunity.
Old September 17 2010, 01:09 PM   #39
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I feel really old reading this thread.

Gran xx
Old September 17 2010, 02:56 PM   #40
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

After getting some sleep, I do feel a bit better today. I put on a little Oasis - "What's the Story, Morning Glory?" and felt better, too. I wish I could control some of these plummets in my mood. I do work to maintain a positive attitude, but sometimes it all just crumbles away, and then I feel terrible.
To me, this sounds like you're just trying to control the symptoms rather than trying to find the cure. Kestra's idea of moving forward in other areas is a great one. Keep trying to find a job, but try to move forward in other areas.

Kestra wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Seriously, great attitude Kestra! I think that is perfect and kudos to you! There's nothing more powerful than a person who knows what they want and how they can get it. The great thing is that you've already positioned yourself for this change, you're doing it. Much better than sitting around moping about it while time goes by.
Heh, thanks. It's been a big boost to my self-esteem in an unexpected way. I feel intelligent and capable in ways I didn't before. I think sometimes it's about a combination of things, doing something when you're ready to and not when you're forced to.

I have added a constant undercurrent of anxiety about getting into graduate school, but I try to tell myself I'll deal with that when the time comes.
Back in my academic days, I've did some research into the predictors of graduate level academic success for a large scholarship program (I was helping to redesign their selection criteria). The biggest predictors were not the typical academic measures like the GRE, but basically any measure of persistence and perserverance. These personality traits translate to academic success much better than academic measures!

And, from all appearances, you've got large amounts of these traits!! So, I wouldn't be worried. Stay dedicated and passionate about what you're doing and you'll be just fine.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote