Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old September 9 2010, 01:56 PM   #31
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: "Challenger"

Lovely Dennis, you certainly know how to find the right balance in these matters. The deflector isn't to my personal taste, but the only thing I would honestly say needs some tweaking is the transitions on either side of the nacelle struts. Both seem a bit 'goopy' compared to the hard lines on nearby areas of the ship.

Can't wait to see more.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2010, 03:32 PM   #32
butch101
Lieutenant Commander

a true beauty ! Keep on this masterpiece !!!

Butch
butch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2010, 03:51 PM   #33
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Dennis ...

My god, she's beautiful! You've fixed the two biggest complaints I had with the Enterprise-JJ (the curved nacelle pylons and the proportions on the secondary hull) and left us with a ship that's almost perfect. The only changes *I* would make would be to add those three windows/lights/scanners at the front of the primary hull from the Enterprise-TOS, and perhaps explore some of the primary hull detailing and colors from Abrams' movie. Really trivial stuff, though.

Wow. This is as stunning now as that first time your original Phoenix slowly filled-in on my old Amiga monitor.

Would you say this ship is roughly the same size as the Enterprise refit or is it closer in scale to Abrams'?
Old September 9 2010, 04:47 PM   #34
Starship
Commander

How you doing old beam? I found this thread, and I must say that your interpretation is excellent. Maybe one of the bests in combining the old and new elements. I tryed to PM you, but since you chosse not to receive PMs, I need to ask you here. Any chance of a release, like in the old 3DG times?

In advance, a big thank you!
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2010, 04:55 PM   #35
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Starship wrote: View Post
How you doing old beam? I found this thread, and I must say that your interpretation is excellent. Maybe one of the bests in combining the old and new elements. I tryed to PM you, but since you chosse not to receive PMs, I need to ask you here. Any chance of a release, like in the old 3DG times?

In advance, a big thank you!
I didn't dare ask.
So, thank you for doing so
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2010, 09:50 PM   #36
Starship
Commander

ST-One wrote: View Post
So, thank you for doing so
oh, It isnt needed. Just do a pray for us all.
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2010, 02:24 AM   #37
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

ST-One wrote: View Post
kaisernathan1701 wrote: View Post
DFScott wrote: View Post
Reiterating something I've said here before several years ago, but which others may not have seen: Dennis, I think maybe you understand the proper proportions of the Constitution class cruiser better than any modeler out there, including those who have worked at Paramount/CBS. You can do any number of variations on this theme, from subtle to bold, and yet they all still manage to maintain this "golden mean" that Matt Jefferies set forth. My personal favorite has been the Venture NCC-1946/Challenger NCC-2099, which looks (probably intentionally) like a Constitution class refit refit, to keep going into the era of the Ambassador class. Although your slightly retro Phoenix NCC-800 is also strong.

So looking at this version of Challenger NX-1799, my first thought is. . . ah, that's better. I cannot get over the whap-jaw appearance of the STXI Enterprise, like it has baggy eyes and an overbite. This rendition, at least, applies some of Abrams' "hot-rod" ideas to a model at the correct proportions.

But you know. . . Even with the 1799's pylons seated at the proper angle, with round, red Bussard collectors, they're still not my favorite. Compared to the 2099's red bullet-nose pylons with the Sovereign-like struts, I still can't get a feel for Ryan Church's design choices of baggy, Bill Clinton-like eyes, and the half-shell with the cyan lights peeking through. With every other "official" design, I could always ascertain some purpose for the visible design elements; these things still look like poorly planned disco lights to me.

What I think your new model proves is that the Enterprise didn't need these particular design additions; and that the jutting forward of the nose, extension of the dish, and flapping up of the wings didn't justify their existence. Even something whose differences are more aesthetically subtle, like your Intrepid NCC-1986, would have been more pleasing for me to look at on-screen. Making the Enterprise wear these bags on the big screen is like casting Sophia Loren in the starring role but making her wear a chicken costume. Sure, it's still Sophia, but why ruin such graceful lines with poor adornment?

DFS-2010/A
Venture NCC-1946/Challenger NCC-2099
Intrepid NCC-1986
Phoenix NCC-800

Where can i see these ships?
Here is a little glimpse of the Phoenix.

Dennis: She's a beauty. A very nice amalgam of the various styles.
Buety indeed

Thanks for posting ST-One
Old September 10 2010, 07:37 AM   #38
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Dennis wrote: View Post
Every time I near the end of one of these projects I think of that cliche aphorism about art being "abandoned, but never finished."
Well, after adding a couple more textures and tweaking the lights some more, sometime in the next 24 hours I hope to abandon this guy.
Until then I guess it remains a work in progress.

Wow. This actually works. Not as a pre-TOS design, but as a variation on a theme, this works quite well. Maybe as a TNG-era refit.

At least it doesn't seem like the wholesale molestation of the original design that the JJPrise does.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2010, 08:45 AM   #39
Psion
Commodore

Huh? RCA, why do you think this comes across as a TNG-era refit? I'd think of it more as an alternate pre-TMP ... emphasis on the "alternate". That is, more advanced looking than the TOS Enterprise, but not quite as advanced as the original refit. This is something from a universe somewhere between TOS, the original movies, and the Abramsverse.
Old September 10 2010, 08:51 AM   #40
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

I forgot to mention, I love the little "1" and "2" cargo doors under the fantail. It gives a nice sense of purpose to that undercut.
Old September 10 2010, 08:54 AM   #41
YARN
Fleet Captain

Psion wrote: View Post
This is something from a universe somewhere between TOS, the original movies, and the Abramsverse.
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that it somewhere between the original movies and the new movie? I am not seeing a lot of direct influence of the TOS design here. We've got orange nacelles I guess...
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2010, 09:22 AM   #42
Psion
Commodore

YARN wrote: View Post
Psion wrote: View Post
This is something from a universe somewhere between TOS, the original movies, and the Abramsverse.
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that it somewhere between the original movies and the new movie? I am not seeing a lot of direct influence of the TOS design here. We've got orange nacelles I guess...
Well, there's the pin-striping, the shuttlebay doors, maybe the shape of the bit around the lower navigation dome, and the solid outboard paneling on the warp nacelles. Plus your aforementioned orange nacelle domes.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting this falls neatly into any particular lineage, but rather that it stands (if one were to think of it as an alternative Enterprise) off in its own little reality. You know, the one where Jack Lord and Martin Landau played Kirk and Spock.
Old September 10 2010, 05:28 PM   #43
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Dennis wrote: View Post
Thanks.

Really had to get this sucker out of the way so that I can concentrate on another mesh now, in my copious free time.
You're just the indispensable man.
Old September 10 2010, 10:36 PM   #44
publiusr
Commodore

Might be nice to have it side by side with this:
http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/s...ant-NCC-1764-A

He used one of the impulse vent ideas that wasn't chosen. I wonder if the impulse might also be a hybrid. Have wider TMP vents, but with the Firebird tail-lamp innerds of JJs.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2010, 10:49 PM   #45
Patrin-Zero
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The detail of the cargo doors on the underside of the main hull is simply brilliant, little touches like that bring all the other bits fully together.
Patrin-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote