Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 121 71.18%
Above average 40 23.53%
Average 6 3.53%
Below average 3 1.76%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 15 2010, 12:36 AM   #511
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discuss

Just in case anyone needed to know how insane the internet is, here's some more proof: LINK

An Inception Wiki!

I'm not sure how they came up with it and the information there isn't very in-depth or revealing considering, you know, there's only one damn movie to base an entire encyclopedia off-of. But there it is.

By the way, I hate Wikia Wikis because they run like complete shite on non-MS browsers.
Old August 19 2010, 03:48 AM   #512
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Good for a chuckle...

LifFormers #197

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2010, 02:17 AM   #513
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Leo has gots the benjamins.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2010, 02:37 AM   #514
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

$50m?! Geeze!
Old August 28 2010, 02:44 AM   #515
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I feel much more comfortable with an actor of the caliber of Leonardo DiCaprio getting paid $50 million for an extremely cerebral and intelligent movie than let's say Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson getting paid that amount for doing the exact same thing they've always done.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2010, 09:35 AM   #516
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

If nothing else, this shows that DiCaprio trusted Nolan to make an incredible film.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2010, 10:20 AM   #517
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

I think DiCaprio, based on Nolan's "impeccable track record" (DiCaprio's own words), had a lot of trust and faith in Nolan. It clearly paid off.
Old August 28 2010, 11:01 AM   #518
Level 2 Diagnostic
Captain

lol. Or maybe he figured out that working for the director of the #3 highest grossing movie of all time might be a positive thing for his career. I love how people here think DiCaprio was taking some kind of tremendous leap of faith.
Level 2 Diagnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2010, 06:14 AM   #519
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Level 2 Diagnostic wrote: View Post
lol. Or maybe he figured out that working for the director of the #3 highest grossing movie of all time might be a positive thing for his career. I love how people here think DiCaprio was taking some kind of tremendous leap of faith.
Well, he was. In a summer full of remakes, sequels and adaptations, Inception was a risk because it was based on a solely original concept. Directors of famous and popular movies before have had missteps and failures. Just look at Bryan Singer, who directed the very popular The Usual Suspects and then the first two X-Men movies, and went on to direct Superman Returns which was tepidly received. Peter Jackson, director of the mega-famous and successful Lord of the Rings films, did the tepidly received King Kong and then The Lovely Bones which did even worse.

There was plenty of risk that Inception would have failed to connect with movie-goers, similar to Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. I think the most compelling thing to point out is that Leonardo DiCaprio just didn't take a one lump slum payday, he gambled on the film's box office chances. It was clear that no one could predict the box office of Inception -- there was certainly buzz but there was a lot of trepidation that it would fail because it was a brainy, cerebral, intellectual movie premiering right smack in the summer movie season where audiences pay to see movies where they can just shut off their brain, and not actually use it.

The fact that Inception resonated so well with movie-goers was a big and unexpected surprise. So DiCaprio definitely took a risk, but the gamble paid off. He invested in the right man.
Old August 30 2010, 08:14 AM   #520
Level 2 Diagnostic
Captain

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Well, he was. In a summer full of remakes, sequels and adaptations, Inception was a risk because it was based on a solely original concept.
lol, So, accepting a role in a movie that's not a remake/sequel/adaptation is now an amazing act of courage? Where's the thread for admiring the bravery of Angelina Jolie for appearing in Salt?

So DiCaprio definitely took a risk, but the gamble paid off. He invested in the right man.
Seriously, what's the worst that could have happened to DiCaprio? The guy was getting $20 mil paydays in the wake of Titanic, so I'm pretty sure he's set for life. And one poorly received movie is not going to kill his career. And he got to vacation in Paris and Japan on the studio's dime. In general, "taking a risk" implies that a person stands to actually lose something if things go badly.
Old August 30 2010, 08:39 AM   #521
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

lol, So, accepting a role in a movie that's not a remake/sequel/adaptation is now an amazing act of courage? Where's the thread for admiring the bravery of Angelina Jolie for appearing in Salt?
Salt was a generic, mindless action movie. It was marketing itself as Bourne or Mission: Impossible but with Angelina Jolie instead of Matt Damon or Tom Cruise. There's nothing inherently risky about that -- trying to mimic a common formula that's proven to be successful before.

Also, there wasn't an entire thread devoted to DiCaprio's "bravery", in fact it was mentioned in the same thread as the general discussion for the movie. Just FYI.

I'm not saying DiCaprio's leap of faith was an "amazing act of courage", I'm saying that to appear in a completely original summer blockbuster not based on an established property that's also highly cerebral and intellectual was very risky, especially since he took stock in the film's box office figures, which could have bode very badly for him had the film flopped.

Had Inception been made for $60 million, then it wouldn't have been that risky since had the film didn't explode at the box office it wouldn't have been that bad for WB (however, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World was made for around that amount, and it tanked, so of course there would have been some risk even then). However, it was made for close to $160 million, classifying itself as a veritable summer blockbuster along the lines of any other big summer movie coming out this past summer. There was a lot of pressure for Inception to do well based on that risky gamble.

The fact that DiCaprio took a chance on the film is commendable given that it is a highly cerebral and intelligent (and good) film being made in the summer of usual mindless crap. Hopefully we'll see more movies like it in future summers.

Seriously, what's the worst that could have happened to DiCaprio? The guy was getting $20 mil paydays in the wake of Titanic, so I'm pretty sure he's set for life. And one poorly received movie is not going to kill his career. And he got to vacation in Paris and Japan on the studio's dime. In general, "taking a risk" implies that a person stands to actually lose something if things go badly.
Actually, DiCaprio chooses his movies very carefully. He's not one that usually appears in blockbuster movies. He even mentioned that he's very lucky to be able to choose the movies he does rather than having to take whichever film offer gets thrown his way. Besides Titanic, I can't remember the last summer blockbuster that DiCaprio had starred in. He usually stars in reasonably budgeted, but award-winning Martin Scorsese pictures or films like Revolutionary Road. He's made the conscious decision not to follow in the career path of Nicholas Cage or Tom Cruise or even Shia LaBeouf who normally chooses their movies based on how profitable or high-profile they are.

So in a lot of ways Inception was a gamble not just financially but professionally as well. The success of the picture proves he rightfully had faith in the right filmmaker and picked the material wisely. Had Inception tanked, he might revert back to starring in character dramas or low-budget pictures. In fact, Inception is DiCaprio's highest grossing film to date besides Titanic. The success of Inception allows DiCaprio the flexibility to choose what movies he does even more and to obtain the studio confidence to invest or take stake or be a part of something potentially risky and unique like Inception.

To me, there's something really fantastic about that.
Old August 30 2010, 09:17 AM   #522
Level 2 Diagnostic
Captain

especially since he took stock in the film's box office figures, which could have bode very badly for him had the film flopped.
You do know he didn't invest his own money in the film, right? He took a percentage of the gross, so if the movie bombed it wouldn't have cost him jack.

Had Inception tanked, he might revert back to starring in character dramas or low-budget pictures.
So, what you're saying is, if Inception bombed, DiCaprio might have gone back to doing the same thing he's been doing for the last ten years? Pretty ballsy move on his part.
Old August 30 2010, 10:27 AM   #523
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

You do know he didn't invest his own money in the film, right? He took a percentage of the gross, so if the movie bombed it wouldn't have cost him jack.
No, but he wouldn't have made anything, or very little at all. I think the whole point is that verses walking away with a big payday, he had faith in the film and in Nolan and instead decided to take a percentage of the gross. That's the telling part which makes it cool in my opinion. It means he had faith in Nolan to deliver a good product and Nolan delivered.

So, what you're saying is, if Inception bombed, DiCaprio might have gone back to doing the same thing he's been doing for the last ten years? Pretty ballsy move on his part.
I'm saying, had Inception bombed, DiCaprio might not have the opportunity again to do big, smart movies like Inception or even Shutter Island, which was also a good success for both DiCaprio and Scorsese. Having DiCaprio in these decently budgeted, smart, high-caliber films bodes well for the industry in my opinion and I think if DiCaprio is a proven commodity in that regard, then it just instills faith in studios to do more movies like Inception and Shutter Island which as a movie fan is very encouraging in my opinion.
Old August 30 2010, 04:41 PM   #524
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

Peter Jackson, director of the mega-famous and successful Lord of the Rings films, did the tepidly received King Kong and then The Lovely Bones which did even worse.

And to think that they put his name on the District 9 poster because they weren't sure it would sell without an internationally famous name to back it- sure he was one of the producers, but the reason it's so awesome sure as hell wasn't him.

It's the same reason that they used The Dark Knight to promote Inception, only that made much more sense, given the fact that it was actually the same director, among other things (such as actors, score composer etc).
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2010, 07:37 AM   #525
Aragorn
Admiral

Found this on the Amazon UK site:

Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote