Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 1 2010, 02:02 AM   #16
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Darren Aronosfky (!) a contender to direct "Wolverine 2"

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I forgive Jackman for X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It's not his fault the movie sucked or that he picked the wrong director. Gavin Hood did the fantastic Tsotsi and came from the same dramatic, independent background that Bryan Singer or Christopher Nolan did. I doubt Jackman figured Hood would have fucked it up as much as he did.
I don't think too much blame can be laid at Hood's feet. Wolverine was screwed the moment 20th Century Fox decided to do the Weapon X storyline instead of the Japan storyline (which is reportedly the plotline they're using for Wolverine II).

Well, it is true that 20th Century Fox has been notorious in their meddling of their productions including their comic-book properties such as X-Men and the Fantastic Four. They short-changed Bryan Singer on the first two movies in many ways, from cutting back time, budget, resources and basically making it nearly impossible for Singer to do some of the things he really wanted to do (for example, he wanted Sentinels, the Danger Room and other characters in X2 but they were cut; several origin sequences and characters had to be removed from X-Men because of time and budget restraints).
For another example, X-Men was originally supposed to come out in the fall of 2000. Midway through production, 20th Century Fox informed Singer that they felt that X-Men was more of a summer movie. Singer breathed a huge sigh of relief until they informed him that they meant summer of 2000, not 2001.

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Note of caution: Anyone read the godawful script Aaranofsky and Frank Miller turned out for a potential adaptation of Batman: Year One some time ago. Where Alfred was a jive-talking black guy and Batman got his name because of the Bat-shaped indentations left by punches thrown when wearing his father's rings? Where the Batcave was a garage?
Upsetting if so, especially given that they already had a script. It's not like Batman: Year One is some Watchmen-like opus and by nature unfilmable in its canonical version; you could probably literally film Year One shot for shot exactly.

And in fairness to Aronofsky, latterday Frank Miller is a crazy street person. I would expect the GoddamnBatman-esque elements to be largely his input.
I suspect so. Still, you'd think Aronofsky would know enough about Batman to not indulge Miller's madness.
Old September 1 2010, 02:36 AM   #17
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Timby wrote: View Post
Many directors working within the confines of the studio system encounter inference
They encounter conclusions derived through reasoning?
I meant interference. What are you, the Grammar Nazi?
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2010, 03:22 AM   #18
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Many directors working within the confines of the studio system encounter inference
Actually, that would probably make him a Spelling Nazi or a Word Usage Nazi.

Meanwhile, I'm the Proper Nazi Identification Nazi.
Old September 1 2010, 03:37 AM   #19
CaptainCanada
Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
I don't think too much blame can be laid at Hood's feet. Wolverine was screwed the moment 20th Century Fox decided to do the Weapon X storyline instead of the Japan storyline
Er, why?

"Weapon X" is one of the classic Wolverine stories. There's nothing inherently bad about wanting to do an origin film; Logan has a great origin story. The problem was they made a hash of it.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2010, 03:48 AM   #20
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
I don't think too much blame can be laid at Hood's feet. Wolverine was screwed the moment 20th Century Fox decided to do the Weapon X storyline instead of the Japan storyline
Er, why?

"Weapon X" is one of the classic Wolverine stories. There's nothing inherently bad about wanting to do an origin film; Logan has a great origin story. The problem was they made a hash of it.
But they'd already covered most of that territory in X2, so there were very few surprises. Prequels are tricky that way. There has to be enough to build a story around but not so much that you know everything that's going to happen.

(In that respect, I think the Star Wars prequels did it best. You knew some of the final beats in Episode III like the rise of Emperor Palpatine, the extermination of the Jedi, and Anakin Skywalker becoming Darth Vader. But most of the other stuff was a big question mark. We knew that Luke & Leia must have a mother but we didn't know anything about her. They had made vague references to the Clone Wars but not enough to really give anyone an idea about what they were really about. Other stuff, like the Trade Federation, Qui-Gon Jinn, Darth Maul, Count Dooku, & General Grievous were totally blank slates.)
Old September 1 2010, 07:38 AM   #21
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

We have ways of making you talk properly.
Old September 1 2010, 07:59 AM   #22
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

I was going to say Spelling Nazi. Oh, well. I'll just remain the Jew in this situation.
Old September 1 2010, 10:50 AM   #23
Dream
Admiral

I want Slade to do it. The guy has already done a thriller, horror movie, and vampire romance. It'll be very interesting to see him do a superhero movie.

I've only seen one Aronosfky film, The Fountain. I didn't like it.
Old September 1 2010, 10:56 AM   #24
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Guys, as fucking if. This is Fox we're talking about. They'll choose the Twilight guy.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2010, 01:12 PM   #25
Blip
Fleet Captain

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Guys, as fucking if. This is Fox we're talking about. They'll choose the Twilight guy.
Taylor Lautner?!

For those determined to contort yourselves into knots so as to include every minor production flub as gospel, and shoehorn it into "cannnonnnnn": STOP. I don't have all day to waste on here; I quite like enjoying real life thankyouverymuch.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2010, 03:32 PM   #26
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I beg to differ regarding the "Weapon X" sequences from "X2" covered the origin...we were teased with excellent images through the usage of flashbacks of Logan inside the tank and being laced with adamantium. Stryker made oblique references to knowing Logan sometime in the past. I hardly would consider those to be "covering the Weapon X storyline".

Bryan Singer apparently considered Taylor Lautner for a role in "X-Men:First Class" I think it was Beast but Taylor was unavailable, he went on to say that he's a fan of the actor's work or some such.

The Japan storyline was hinted at the end of Origins and it has been stated by Jackman that that is the direction they intend to take the character in the next movie. I don't have much interest in a sequel except that hopefully Chris McQuarries script is good....I doubt Aronosfky would take on "Wolverine" but he would be a really interesting choice to see what direction he would take the character.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2010, 07:19 PM   #27
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

No, I'm merely the observer who can't help but point out that you keep on making the same mistake.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2010, 08:13 PM   #28
scnj
Captain

I'd much rather David Slade. Sure, Twilight was a misstep, but his 30 Days Of Night adaptation was really well directed. I have yet to see an Aronofsky film I like.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2010, 11:04 PM   #29
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

No, I'm merely the observer who can't help but point out that you keep on making the same mistake.
Well, it's a good thing I have you to keep on constantly reminding me of my mistakes. Where would I be without you?
Old September 2 2010, 02:16 AM   #30
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

I was going to say Spelling Nazi. Oh, well. I'll just remain the Jew in this situation.
The good news is that Spelling Nazis will only try to exterminate you if you make the mistake of spelling it "Gew" or "Jiu" or something like that.