TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Favorite Starfleet Uniform Design
Early "The Original Series" 9 4.33%
Mid-Late "The Original Series" 10 4.81%
Star Trek: The Motion Picture 7 3.37%
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan "Monster Maroons" 48 23.08%
Later Maroon Uniform (Earlier flashbacks in TNG) 1 0.48%
Early "The Next Generation" 4 1.92%
Mid-Late "The Next Generation" 19 9.13%
Early "Deep Space Nine" & "Voyager" 14 6.73%
Mid-Late "Deep Space Nine" and "First Contact" 64 30.77%
"Enterprise" 14 6.73%
Star Trek (2009) 13 6.25%
Other (Specify) 5 2.40%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 25 2010, 01:20 AM   #91
Blue Squadron
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Favorite Starfleet Uniform Design

Re. the alleged "ground forces" ahem, "uniform" from DS9: Nor the Battle to the Strong

It's worth taking a careful look at either the original episode or the screen caps on somewhere like trekcore.com as this actually shows the costume to be just the standard Starfleet costume at that time - i.e. A black jumpsuit with branch-colored shoulders and grey undershirt (albeit suitably "distressed" in appearance...!) - over which is worn the padded black jacket with branch colored trim below a black yoke.
Blue Squadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2010, 02:38 AM   #92
Rulius
Fleet Captain

View Rulius's Twitter Profile

Why aren't they using some sort of body armor during a battle? Seems odd they are just wearing a cloth uniform to fight in. You'd think they would have some powered armor or something..

Last edited by Rulius; August 25 2010 at 02:49 AM.
Rulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2010, 03:14 AM   #93
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Enterprise uniforms are great for 22nd century astronauts, but my favorites would have to be First Contact, and STII in second place.

RAMA
Old August 25 2010, 03:17 AM   #94
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Rulius wrote: View Post
Why aren't they using some sort of body armor during a battle? Seems odd they are just wearing a cloth uniform to fight in. You'd think they would have some powered armor or something..

Body armor would likely be useless against phasers in real life..but maybe there could be some sort of power transformer/energy dampening generator as part of a suit that would do the work of traditional sci-fi armored suits without physically blocking the beam.
Old August 26 2010, 06:07 PM   #95
George
Lieutenant Commander

Early DS9 and VOY, although I would make some changes to the colors:

Command: White
Flight Control/Pilots: Blue
Engineering/Operations: Gold
Security/Tactical: Red
Medical/Counseling: Teal
Science/R&D: Green
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 07:26 PM   #96
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

I voted ENT uniforms. Aside from the nod to NASA, I think it makes more sense to have pockets rather than velcro attached to your communicator and phaser. Makes it a lot harder to steal or lose them.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 10:55 PM   #97
Cepstrum
Commander

But body armor and helmets would be very useful for protection against shrapnel and secondary hits. It could also help in close-quarters combat.

But I kind of liked the notion that Starfleet didn't have a sophisticated ground military. It fits with the theme of peaceful exploration by ships crewed by scientists, engineers, and at most, security/police guys. Sure, they adequately defended their ships, but they didn't have true *soldiers*.

And my favorite uniforms are from the TNG-era shows — except the early TNG spandex!
Cepstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 11:18 PM   #98
Cepstrum
Commander

Oh, btw:

can anyone provide either a link or site name where I could see visuals the various uniforms? I'm unfamiliar with most being discussed, such as those from TMP, TWoK, and possible futures.
Cepstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2010, 01:19 AM   #99
George
Lieutenant Commander

Ex Astris Scientia has good resources.

Here:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ga...-uniforms1.htm

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ga...-uniforms2.htm
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2010, 01:28 AM   #100
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Cepstrum wrote: View Post
But I kind of liked the notion that Starfleet didn't have a sophisticated ground military.
I don't. Any organization that *doesn't* have a military will soon be dead. The Federation must have one. The fact that it's lasted this long is proof of that.

Now what this organization is actually CALLED, is anybody's guess. Could be the Federation Marine Corps, Starfleet Marine Corps, the MACOs (who knows, they may still exist), or whatever, but there must always be a form of ground troops. Indeed, in several episodes of DS9, Federation ground troops (that specific phrase was used - 'ground troops' ) were mentioned. So we know they exist.

You can't take Starfleet shipboard security officers, for example, and put them on the front lines. They are there to enforce security on board ships and starbases. Ground fighting is completely different. You can't have one do the other. That would be like taking a security guard at Wal-Mart and sending him to Afghanistan. There must always be specialization.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2010, 01:40 AM   #101
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

Roberta Lincoln wrote: View Post
Call me an old timer as well, I have to go with the uniforms from vintage ST. I like their colors best.

I also liked that some of the female crew members wore pants in The Cage and Where No Man Has Gone Before.
Make no mistake: all the female crewmembers in The Cage and Where No Man Has Gone Before wore pants.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2010, 07:06 PM   #102
Vurok
Lieutenant

I liked the Enterprise uniforms, because they are similar to the NASA ones and seem more practical, work-man like, fitting for the first starship to venture out - though aesthetically, I prefer the later DS9 uniforms, with the grey shoulder section. However, I prefer Vulcan robes and uniforms to Starfleet overall. My favourite Starfleet uniform is the black leather, Section 31 uniform.

Vurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2010, 08:42 PM   #103
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

About armoured soldiers - the security guards of the first few movies wore fairly goofy helmets and body armour.

The Elite Force videogames had cool gear for the Voyager/Enterprise-E Hazard Team. It wasn't armour, but a lightweight exoskeleton forcefield suit.
Old August 29 2010, 04:20 AM   #104
USS Excelsior
Commodore

Mirror ENT uniforms, but not the female ones.
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2010, 01:43 AM   #105
Annorax
Lieutenant

FC/DS9.

I don't get the Nor the Battle to the Strong/Siege of AR-558 black shirts, though... if the point of a black uniform is to make soldiers less visible to the enemy, then why would they have the division colored yoke and standard shirt under it? Seems to me that the red stripes in a ground battle would just make it easier for the enemy to target and snipe the Starfleet unit's commanders.
Annorax is offline   Reply With Quote