Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 24 2010, 02:50 AM   #616
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
The best the series could ever look is "Trials and Tribble-ations" from the TOS blu-ray
It's a shame they couldn't actually do a HD version of that one episode.
Old August 24 2010, 02:51 AM   #617
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

YARN wrote: View Post
If they were to do it right, I'd say they'd need to start the archival and transfer process of the original film footage ASAP.
It would take a while to simply assemble the footage, organize it, and index it. The next step of reproducing the TV edits from all the film would take a ton of time by itself.
I don't think that would be practical. Why transfer the tons of film that wasn't used to get the, presumably, much fewer shots that actually were used in the episodes? I would think they'd want to find the right shots first, then transfer them, then edit them.
Old August 24 2010, 02:52 AM   #618
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The best the series could ever look is "Trials and Tribble-ations" from the TOS blu-ray
It's a shame they couldn't actually do a HD version of that one episode.
THey did the next best thing -- lied on the package and said it was in HD.
Old August 24 2010, 03:43 AM   #619
SoM
Commander

Except then you're missing the whole point of the project, which is to create HD versions of TNG. The new FX are, unfortunately, necessary to accomplish that goal, but the new FX themselves aren't the purpose of the project.
Depends on how you define "new FX" - transporter/replicator effects, phaser shots and the like would need to be redone from scratch, true; but all the model shots were done on 35mm, and could be recomposited/reedited with the rest of the footage if the will existed* - they'll need to recomposite every viewscreen & monitor shot anyway.

[*The new CGI ship shots for TOS were required because they used the film episode masters, with umpteen layers/generations of compositing artefacts visible. Since equivalent masters don't exist for TNG, using the original model shots is peversely more achievable despite the extra work.]
SoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2010, 04:47 AM   #620
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Look...the CBS guy says it WILL happen...its a question of overcoming a few problems. I can see WHY it will happen...STNG is its most popular ST "product"...they want to release it on HD as much as they did TOS, if not more so...they are going to make it happen. This is not Space 1999 or The Invaders...it was a BIG show with high ratings. They have the crew that worked on it more or less intact to supervise if necessary. HD formats, primarily Blue-ray are obviously the future and they will want to continue the ongoing popularity and moneymaking of ST. Also, the FX will probably be "state-of-art", and will be great quality, as opposed to the holding back on TOS-R to make it appear to date from the 60s. I think they'll be looking to exercise some of the top capabilities of CBS Digital.

RAMA
Old August 24 2010, 07:17 AM   #621
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Isn't it funny how the Dr Who restoration team tries to reverse this look, so film looks like video? I wonder how much new software and techniques could actually make this process for STNG remastered easier in the coming years...if "shortcuts" could be used in the process to shorten the time it takes restore the images to film and then new FX inserted for HD.

Under "VidFire" link:

http://www.purpleville.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rtwebsite/vidfire.htm
Old August 24 2010, 02:14 PM   #622
SoM
Commander

RAMA wrote: View Post
STNG is its most popular ST "product"...they want to release it on HD as much as they did TOS, if not more so...they are going to make it happen. This is not Space 1999 or The Invaders...it was a BIG show with high ratings.
Funny example, since Space 1999 was scanned in HD years ago... (not sure if it was released on disc, but it's certainly been on HD telly).
Old August 24 2010, 03:05 PM   #623
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Look...the CBS guy says it WILL happen...its a question of overcoming a few problems. I can see WHY it will happen...STNG is its most popular ST "product"...they want to release it on HD as much as they did TOS, if not more so...they are going to make it happen.
RAMA
Hopefully, if true, they can use it as a proving ground to perfect the technology to make it cheap and efficient. That way they may eventually be persuaded to do DS9 and VOY--I would assume transferring ENT to BR wouldn't be too difficult.
Old August 24 2010, 08:54 PM   #624
swaaye
Lieutenant Commander

Hopefully they have it ready for the next level of "TrueHD". Surely a resolution jump will happen again sometime down the road.

Keep that 3D crap out of it though.
swaaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2010, 01:07 AM   #625
RAMA
Vice Admiral

SoM wrote: View Post
STNG is its most popular ST "product"...they want to release it on HD as much as they did TOS, if not more so...they are going to make it happen. This is not Space 1999 or The Invaders...it was a BIG show with high ratings.
Funny example, since Space 1999 was scanned in HD years ago... (not sure if it was released on disc, but it's certainly been on HD telly).
Interesting, I'm sure its not on Blu-ray...but it must look absolutely awful on HDTV, even if scanned from film..that's the main reason for TOS-R. Someone didn't really care too much about the end product..

RAMA
Old August 25 2010, 01:09 AM   #626
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Isn't it funny how the Dr Who restoration team tries to reverse this look, so film looks like video? I wonder how much new software and techniques could actually make this process for STNG remastered easier in the coming years...if "shortcuts" could be used in the process to shorten the time it takes restore the images to film and then new FX inserted for HD.

Under "VidFire" link:

http://www.purpleville.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rtwebsite/vidfire.htm
Ah I can answer my own question...I guess the earliest story included an "up-resing idea". What process/tools did they use for this I wonder.

http://trekmovie.com/2007/07/27/cbs-...mastering-tng/

RAMA
Old August 25 2010, 01:48 AM   #627
SoM
Commander

Interesting, I'm sure its not on Blu-ray...but it must look absolutely awful on HDTV, even if scanned from film..that's the main reason for TOS-R. Someone didn't really care too much about the end product..
Well, someone who's worked with the DWRT (mentioned above) supervised rhe rescanning & clean-up:
http://www.bbcstudiosandpostproducti...pace_1999.html
http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...de/upimhd.html
http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...mvdvduk2a.html

Oh, and apparently it will be released on Bluray this year: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4910
Old August 25 2010, 02:04 AM   #628
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Well, someone who's worked with the DWRT (mentioned above) supervised rhe rescanning & clean-up:
http://www.bbcstudiosandpostproducti...pace_1999.html
http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...de/upimhd.html
http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...mvdvduk2a.html

Oh, and apparently it will be released on Bluray this year: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4910

Neat, but again, as with Dr Who they are going for a "video" look even though its available in 35mm film!!! They do seem to be putting a lot of care into the project, and it just goes to show what you can do when the right "raw" material is available in the proper format. I still think the FX portions will look awful if they haven't been re-made...even for a show almost 10 yrs TOS's junior.

EDIT: You know it occurs to me,they prob didn't do a lot of compositing on that show...it might be almost exclusively models with a background...in that case the FX would be fine on that point, but the nature of the models might also be more apparent.

RAMA

Last edited by RAMA; August 25 2010 at 02:22 AM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 06:26 PM   #629
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

In the case of Space:1999, wouldn't the fx shots be easier to remaster at high quality due to the fact they did most if not all their FX compositing "in camera"?
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2010, 06:08 PM   #630
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

CBS Consumer Products VP confirms work being done

this month there is talk at Star Trek con
August 9, 2010
In a response to a question about TNG on Blu-ray, CBS Consumer Products VP John Van Citters told the crowd in Las Vegas...
...Van Citters expressed optimism noting "It is being worked on and I expect it will happen, it is just a technical challenge."
http://trekmovie.com/2010/08/09/vega...r-shaker-more/

I just noticed RAMA beat me to it.
http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=600

Last edited by jefferiestubes8; August 27 2010 at 06:09 PM. Reason: saw RAMA already had it
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote