A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 24 2010, 12:01 AM   #61
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Judge "Minty"? Really? What, does he defeat lawlessness with his minty-flavored breath?
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2010, 12:04 AM   #62
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

He's nicknamed his lawgiver gun...breath mint...

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2010, 02:01 PM   #63
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Characters with odd names is actually a bid of a tradition. Dredd is silly enough when you think about is but there are plenty others. My favourite example is Dredd's current sidekick/protege: Judge America Beeny.
Of course I'm pretty sure making fun of a Judge's name is punishable by a year in the isocubes.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Summer's is beautiful but I think she gets suggested for parts like these from fans because we are familiar with her physical prowess and willingness to do her own stunts. While I am a huge fan of hers I don't think she'd be right for this part. The more I think about it the more someone like Kate Beckinsale would be interesting for Dredd's partner. Dredd's partner actually has a pretty juicy character arc of her own in this film. I would suggest that people take Reverend up on his suggestion of searching for a good script review. Maybe I'll post a link to one later this week once I get time.
I didn't mean to suggest they should cast Summer Glau, just that I would.

P.S. Hershey may or may not be in the film. There is an unnamed female Chief Judge in the script and the way she's written in the two scenes she appears it sounds like it's supposed to be Hersey, but it could conceivably be a pre-Long Walk McGruder.

On a related note, anyone have any thoughts on who could play Chief Judge Hershey? I tend to picture Uma Therman in the role but I think that has more to do with cheekbones and that haircut she had in Pulp Fiction than anything else.

Last edited by Reverend; August 24 2010 at 02:32 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2010, 02:22 PM   #64
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ I thought along the same lines....why not just recast Diane Lane lol.

Old August 24 2010, 03:50 PM   #65
Starkers
Admiral

Uma would be good, maybe too old now though? Then again Hershey's no spring chicken (but that assumes you go with Dredd's age being 60+ now which is unlikely given Urban's age-I don't think she should be older than Dredd though.)

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2010, 04:14 PM   #66
Reverend
Rear Admiral

If wikipedia is accurate *tosses a coin* then Hershey was about 37 when she became Chief Judge and had the job for about 9 years. Uma is what? Late 30's? Early 40's? So she's probably about right.
Mind you I think the script describes the unnamed Chief Judge as being in her 50's, so if anything Uma and - more to the point - Hershey is a little young. Perhaps this is supposed to be McGruder after all? Or perhaps no established Judge in particular.

As for Dredd's age; I think there's something about him ageing slower due to his being a clone and using the sleep machine so much, so they can always fudge it a bit. That or Fargo was a Dúnedain.
Old August 24 2010, 04:59 PM   #67
Starkers
Admiral

Dredd's also had rejuvination treatment after Necropolis...still I don't think he should look as young as, or younger than Hersehy, so with Urban being 38 now I think Uma would be too old as she's 40. don't get me wrong she'd look good as Hershey but she'd look too much like Dredd's contemporary when she should be clearly several graduating classes below him. Taking Urban's age as Dredd's in the film I figure Hershey should be 30/32 maybe? If you use Anderson she'd be younger still (though not that much younger, mid to late 20s maybe).

Be nice to see Giant as well (probably the classic one rather than his son but you could do either)

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2010, 06:54 PM   #68
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Of course they might also have Urban play Dredd as a bit older than he is or at least the helmet might allow it to be left a little ambiguous. Either way, it's unlikely they they'll get too hung up trying to adhere to the comic's continuity by having everyone be the right ages. As with other cross-media adaptations like Batman, Lord of the Rings and the like they're free to cherry pick what works best for the film while still staying true to the material.
Old August 24 2010, 08:06 PM   #69
Prydonian
Lieutenant

Reverend wrote: View Post
Characters with odd names is actually a bid of a tradition. Dredd is silly enough when you think about is but there are plenty others. My favourite example is Dredd's current sidekick/protege: Judge America Beeny.
In the "Origins" storyline, there's a bit where it is mentioned that the surname "Dredd" was selected for Joe and Rico with the intention of instilling fear in the populace (obviously an after-the-fact justification, but then one of the goals of the story was to apply some patches to Dredd's (dis)continuity; ironically, it just raises the question of why everyone called the original Rico by his first name and why it was used on his badge ).

Reverend wrote: View Post
There is an unnamed female Chief Judge in the script and the way she's written in the two scenes she appears it sounds like it's supposed to be Hersey, but it could conceivably be a pre-Long Walk McGruder.
Heh, how about making it the post-Long Walk McGruder and slap a beard on the poor actress and make her talk in the first-person plural about herself!
Old September 4 2010, 03:32 AM   #70
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Judge Anderson has been cast...not who I was expecting but she could work...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=69518

Old September 4 2010, 07:20 PM   #71
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Don't think I've seen her in anything, but (hair colour aside) she looks about right for the part. Remember that this is an early 20's academy rookie version of Anderson, so she's not supposed to be the 6 foot tall Amazonian looking woman she is in the comics.
Old September 4 2010, 07:53 PM   #72
Christopher
Writer

^Well, if you're not 6 feet tall by your early 20s, you're never going to be, so that doesn't really follow. However, there's no requirement that actors be the same height as the characters they're based on, otherwise Hugh Jackman could never have played Wolverine.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2010, 08:45 PM   #73
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Not that it matters but I don't know that she's supposed to be a six footer in the comics, just that the proportions with which she is drawn (by some artists) gives you that impression of her build. Regardless, I think the script actually describes her as being on the short side.
Old September 4 2010, 11:42 PM   #74
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Yes there is a reference to her height I think when she's first introduced...can't wait for the first trailer for this!

Old September 6 2010, 08:57 AM   #75
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

A small description of the film here...along with confirmation of the casting of Judge Anderson.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=69589