IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 21 2010, 06:27 PM   #16
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally
Re: Kings of Leon Music Will NOT Be On Glee

Maybe it's their polite way of saying "We heard how badly they butchered Journey's Don't Stop Believing and we're terrified they'll ruin something we wrote and nurtured the same way"
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2010, 09:11 PM   #17
AliciaD496
Fleet Captain

View AliciaD496's Twitter Profile

What I don't get about this, if it is an "integrity" problem, is why they bring it up about that song NOW.

They're obviously NOT worried about other pop acts performing their songs since they let Kelly Clarkson sing a mash up of it at her concert that I saw last fall. Then again she also sang White Stripes and Patsy Cline as well. Maybe the difference is the whole selling it commercially afterward. So I don't think it's so much that the cast of Glee would do it worst or better than the original, just that they'd make money off it by selling their version.
AliciaD496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2010, 01:04 AM   #18
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

great, more aging hipsters spewing their aging hipster propaganda. how about not consider it selling out, but more like buying in, like the pops said in SLC Punk.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2010, 02:08 AM   #19
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral

AliciaD496 wrote: View Post
What I don't get about this, if it is an "integrity" problem, is why they bring it up about that song NOW.

They're obviously NOT worried about other pop acts performing their songs since they let Kelly Clarkson sing a mash up of it at her concert that I saw last fall. Then again she also sang White Stripes and Patsy Cline as well.
You don't need permission to perform a live cover at a concert, or even to release one commercially on an album. Although in the latter instance you would have to pay royalties.
Old August 22 2010, 02:36 PM   #20
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Pingfah wrote: View Post
AliciaD496 wrote: View Post

They're obviously NOT worried about other pop acts performing their songs since they let Kelly Clarkson sing a mash up of it at her concert that I saw last fall. Then again she also sang White Stripes and Patsy Cline as well.
You don't need permission to perform a live cover at a concert, or even to release one commercially on an album. Although in the latter instance you would have to pay royalties.
Doesn't the club or venue pay fees to ASCAP for performers who play covers at the local bar or coffee shop?
Old August 22 2010, 03:05 PM   #21
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral

^ As part of the venue's right to host live music yes, but it's a flat annual fee. The artist doesn't have to gain permission or pay any royalties to perform a live cover and the venue doesn't have to gain individual permission for any particular work as long as it is covered by the body they are being licensed by.

Copyright holders are not allowed to deny permission for a newly recorded work, or for a live performance.
Old August 22 2010, 03:12 PM   #22
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

So the money was once in the sales of the sheet music, and much like the actual performance being downloaded taking the artist money the educational sites giving "tips" on performing the song are stealing the song writers fees
Old August 22 2010, 05:47 PM   #23
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral

^ Well lots of websites like Youtube have already started paying a license fee so that people utilising songs in their videos will not be breaching copyright. I don't know if that yet applies to the websites you are talking about, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.
Old August 22 2010, 05:55 PM   #24
Rii
Rear Admiral

I don't know how people can take IP law seriously when it's so transparently arbitrary.
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2010, 06:14 PM   #25
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral

^ Problem is it is constantly having to react to new technology, piling one piece of legislation on top of another until you end up with the absolute lumbering mess we have now.

The right to produce a cover version without permission goes all the way back to the early 1900s, the legislation was originally supposed to pertain to the music rolls for player pianos. With phonographic recordings not yet ubiquitous, nobody really considered the implications.
Old August 22 2010, 06:28 PM   #26
Rii
Rear Admiral

The thing going on with radio at the moment in the United States is hilarious. The labels say that radio should have to pay for broadcast rights. Radio sez that it's free advertising and that therefore it shouldn't have to. The labels can't really argue with this since not only do they continue to license their music to radio for free, most of them at one time or another have been caught paying radio to broadcast their music. They've no 'free market' leg to stand on, so of course it's time to turn to Congress to pass a law. Backdoor negotiations between corporations and government ensue and they arrive at a mutually acceptable compromise: radio agrees to pay some money to labels and in return the government will mandate the inclusion of FM radio in all music playing devices: iPods, phones, etc.
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2010, 06:28 PM   #27
Level 2 Diagnostic
Captain

The Grammy award winning band refused to license their popular music for the use of the hit dramedy show. The reason behind the refusal? The Kings are determined not to “sell out.” But there are no hard feelings toward the show itself; Followill added that even though he’s never seen an episode of the musical TV show, "apparently everybody loves it."

Followill continued to say:

We had some people call us up wanting to know if we’d allow ‘Use Somebody’ to appear in the trailer for their next movie, and we turned them down. Next day, they called back and tried to put us through to the star of the movie — I won’t name names, but he’s an incredibly famous actor — to let him try to convince us to agree to do it. I was like, 'Man, don’t even waste your energy.’
Hard to get at what the real reasoning is behind this. I'm pretty sure the "sell out" part is something added by the blogger and not an actual quote from the band. It's been pointed out elsewhere that they allowed their music to be used on Gossip Girl.

So maybe it's just this one song that has special significance to them? Or maybe they think a Glee cover of this particular song is a horrible idea?
Level 2 Diagnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2010, 05:45 AM   #28
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

watch Arcade Fire will jump all over it.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2010, 01:39 PM   #29
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
I don't think Arcade Fire is really that popular, though.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2010, 01:48 PM   #30
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
I don't think Arcade Fire is really that popular, though.
Are the Kings of Leon that popular? Arcade Fire seems to be getting the push this month that the Kings got last year