Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 14 2010, 12:12 PM   #151
saturn5
Fleet Captain

Re: Angel ep by ep; rewatch and reviews

OVER THE RAINBOW

[FONT=Times New Roman]The Good;
A fun romp veering unpredictably from the ridiculous to the sublime, not so much the series changing direction as looping the loop and throwing in a barrel roll for good measure. Must be so nice for DB to be able to work in the sun for once.

The Bad;
Even the most imaginative set dressing can't hide the cheapness of some of the production qualities. The bit where Lorne goes to see his psychic friend is also blatantly filler (although I love her name, Persia White, sounds like a film noir heroine?)

Best line: Another Xena reference (see also Disharmony and Halloween on Buffy)
Gunn; (on being told that Pylea is rife with xenophobia) "Why are they afraid of Xena? I think she's kinda fly"

Jeez, how did they get away with that?
A lot of the Pylea stuff especially the hellbeast discecting the guy. We thankfully never see the AI group as a freakishly hybridinized siamese twin, as Gunn observes, horrified "That was a risk!!!?"

Apocalypses: 5

Angel Cliches

Inverting the Hollywood cliche;
The guys take on the villagers and for once they lose.

In disguise; 8

DB get's his shirt off; 12

Cordy's tattoo; 6,

Cheap Angel; 7

Fang Gang in bondage: Cordyx2 but the rest of the guys as well
Cordy: 7
Angel: 10
Wes: 5
Gunn; 2
Lorne; 1

Fang gang knocked out:
Cordy: 10
Angel: 12
Doyle; 1
Gunn; 1
Lorne; 1

Kills:
Cordy: 5 vamps, 1½ demons
Angel; 26 vamps, 33 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans
Doyle; 1 vamp
Wes; 3 demons
Kate; 3 vamps
Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.
Gunn; 7 vamps+ 2 demons.
Fang Gang go evil:
Cordy: 2
Angel: 2

Alternate Fang Gang:
Angel: 6

Characters killed:

Recurring characters killed;
6;

Total number of Angel Investigations:
4, Angel, Cordy, Wes and Gunn

Angel Investigations shot:
Angel: 11
Wes; 1

Packing heat;
Wes; 3
Doyle; 1
Angel; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:
Cordy: 2 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast
Angel: 2; Buffy and Darla
Wes; 2; Virginia and the bleached blonde

Kinky dinky:
Cordy as a slave for the second time. If you enjoy seeing beautiful women enslaved, enchained and degraded this is the ep for you. Of course if you enjoy that you should be in deep, deep therapy rather than reading my reviews! Wes has handcuffs or at least knows someone who does (Mistress Spanksalot?). Once again, here's where they miss Kate who could have lent them some.

Captain Subtext;
Gunn likes Xena. Now this could either be classed as kinky dinky, he just likes hot dominant women in leather,(well who doesn't?) or it could have some deeper significance? Pylea strikes you as just the sort of place that Xena and Gabby would clean up.

Know the face, different character; 2

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

Buffy characters on Angel; 16
Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony

Questions and observations;
Angel was in the Tower of London at some stage. First real appearance for Fred and Amy Acker does a great job of portraying her impending madness. Also Gavin Parks oozes his Gucci clad self into the show. The scene where Angel leaves the tape for Gunn is very reminiscent of Kurt Russell in The Thing. Angel delighted in the daylight, his joy is lovely to behold.
Marks out of 10; 6/10, not great in itself but again, promising much
[/FONT]
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2010, 08:54 PM   #152
Mal
Rear Admiral

saturn5 wrote: View Post

BELONGING

Wes phones home, when we see his dad in 'Lineage' we understand this conversation better.
this is one of my very favorite scenes in angel.
Yes, mum. Yes, well, put him on. - Right. You too.

Hello father. Happy Birthday. - How are you? - Good. - No! It's going quite well actually. - Yes. I have news. - I've been put in charge of our group. - Yes, as their leader.

No, it's a permanent position. Well as permanent as these things...

- (the smile on Wesley's face fades away into nothing) -

No, I certainly won't be fired. - Ah. Well, yes, I was that one time, yes. - Again... No, you're right. I see how... - Yes, I'd forgotten, thank you. - Yes. - Ah, just recently.

Uhm, it's going quite well so far. - - No, I think this time... - I hope it will be different. - No. No, you're right. I see how... - I just thought you'd be... I thought you'd want to know, that's all. - Right. Well - again, happy birthday. - Okay.
Old August 15 2010, 02:18 PM   #153
saturn5
Fleet Captain

It's kinda like when we see Lindsey go around his one-handed apartment, we see/hear very little but all we need to know is rigth there.

THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS

Angel sees his hair in the mirror for the first time, you always wondered? (I guess Dru always fixed Spike's?) Lovely reveal of WR&H, very clever. Also like the double bluff of Cordy meeting the Groo. All the scenes with Lorne's family are hysterical.
The Bad;
Aside from that this seems to be a case of 6 characters rushing about in search of a plot?
Best line:
Lorne's mother; "No longer do the dance of joy Numfar"
Angel still enjoys telling the story of cutting Lindsey's arm off, still some bad feeling there obviously.
Angel Cliches
Angel actually enjoys playing the hero, revelling in his (literal) moment in the sun.
In disguise; 8
Cordy's tattoo; 6,
Cheap Angel; 7
Fang Gang in bondage: Wes, Gunn and Lorne again
Cordy: 5
Angel: 9
Wes: 6
Gunn; 3
Lorne; 2

Fang gang knocked out: Lorne again
Angel: 12
Doyle; 1
Gunn; 1
Lorne; 2
Kills: Angel kills 2 demons
Cordy: 5 vamps, 1½ demons
Angel; 26 vamps, 35 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans
Doyle; 1 vamp
Wes; 3 demons
Kate; 3 vamps
Gunn; 7 vamps+ 2 demons.
Fang Gang go evil: almost Angel but not quite

Alternate Fang Gang: demon Angel
Angel: 7

Characters killed:
6;

Wes; 1
Packing heat;
Wes; 3
Doyle; 1
Angel; 1

Kinky dinky:
Cordy is expected to Com-shuk with the Groo, as Gunn observes "Sounds dirty to me". Obvious sexual attraction between Queen C and Groo, Lorne asks should he call the guards back with their cuffs? Cordy once again in a bikini despite saying she doesn't want to seem 'too easy' for the Groo. Cordy observes it's along time since she Com-shuked and remarks on her propensity to be impregnated by demons "Do I send out some sort of 'Com-Shuk me' vibe?" There's a great t-shirt slogan for you. Even the Groo of course is part-demon but can only mate with humans.
Captain Subtext;
Huge beauty and beast vibe between Angel and Fred, Fangel right from the start. Lorne also seems enamoured of Groo so more evidence for the bi vibe. Wes keeps a picture of Cordy in his wallet
Parking garages;
Guantanamo Bay;
Buffy characters on Angel; 15
Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony
Here's the Groo, yay! After being abused and pushed around for the last 3 eps Cordy is now a Queen as she always wanted to be. Some beautiful small details like Cordy's little finger gesture when she tells the constable who wants the 'Most high princess' to feast on AI's blood "You're most high if you think that's going to happen!". Also Cordy reaching out to embrace her friends who walk past her to the food, shades of Indianna Jones (except Angel who makes for the mirror). Wes' idea of a list of demands sent to the Princess sounds reminiscent of Magna Carta.
Marks out of 10; 7/10
[/FONT]
Old August 15 2010, 05:21 PM   #154
Mal
Rear Admiral

Cordy's tattoo; 6,

As I asked here,
Old August 15 2010, 05:36 PM   #155
saturn5
Fleet Captain

Mal wrote: View Post

Cordy's tattoo; 6,

As I asked here,
I figure they either digitally airbrushed that out or just slapped on loads of makeup?
Old August 16 2010, 04:25 PM   #156
saturn5
Fleet Captain

THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE PLZTH GRB

The basket scene alone makes this wonderful. All told it's pretty good stuff though, a revolution in three eps.
The Bad;
It seems rather contrite that the entire world of Pylea is ruled by this small band of priests and their tiny army.
Best line:
Wes; "Why do people keep putting me in charge of things?"
Gunn; (exasperated) "I have NO idea!". In many ways Gunn is the straight man of Angel Investigations, constantly staggered at the rest of the gangs grand notions.
Severed Lorne's head, Pylea has a 'mutilation chamber'? Everyone keeps spitting on poor Lorne. The Groo sets his own hand on fire to intimidate Angel before they fight. He feels pain but just overcomes it!
Angel Cliches
Inverting the Hollywood cliche; Lovely heart to heart between Wes and Angel over the fireside but we later learn that Wes doesn't necessarily believe it, he just needs Angel to.
In disguise; 8
Cordy's tattoo; 6,
Cheap Angel; 7
Fang Gang in bondage: Angel by Groo
Gunn; 3
Lorne; 2

Fang gang knocked out: Angel after the fight in the cave
Angel: 13
Doyle; 1
Gunn; 1
Lorne; 1
Kills: 3 demons for Angel, 3 for Wes, 2 for Gunn and 1 for Cordy
Cordy: 5 vamps, 2½ demons
Angel; 26 vamps, 38 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans
Doyle; 1 vamp
Wes; 6 demons
Kate; 3 vamps
Gunn; 7 vamps+ 4 demons.
Fang Gang go evil:

Alternate Fang Gang:

Characters killed:
6;

Wes; 1
Packing heat;
Wes; 3
Doyle; 1
Angel; 1

Kinky dinky:
Cordy touches the Groo 'by accident' in the dark. She refers to Groo and her on their wedding night having a 'shared burden lifting' but denies that she has much experience. She doesn't like the idea of Com-shukking in front of the priests. The priests tell Groo that if Angel should win he will ravage and defile Cordy again and again until she has no more screaming in her.
Captain Subtext;
Do the Covenant represent the Taliban? Check out the slave-girls expression when Cordy orders her to strip naked. Also check out that Lorne's eyes flicker open to watch. Lorne observes that Groo works out when Cordy rubs him up against him. When Cordy tells Groo she loves him Angel is a little afronted that she doesn't say she loves him too. Gunn's speech at the end neatly sums up post American Civil War history.
Parking garages;
Guantanamo Bay;
To judge by his remarks when he and Wes are going to be executed Gunn is a Christian who believes when he dies he'll go to Jesus. CC can scream like a Classic Dr Who companion (as can Dawn, see Shadow). Angel doesn't snore. In demon form he rather resembles the Incredible Hulk. Lorne doesn't have 5 toes on each foot although we don't know how many he does have. Wes is faced with the General's classic dilemma of having to sacrifice some of his men for the greater good. How do they get Angel's car out of Caritas? Willow at the end is heartbreaking, how much can Alysson Hannigan emote with just her expression?
Marks out of 10; 8/10 good end to an enjoyable arc but you're keen to get back to LA.
[/FONT]
Old August 16 2010, 07:25 PM   #157
Wereghost
Commodore

The basket scene alone makes this wonderful. All told it's pretty good stuff though, a revolution in three eps.
The Bad;
It is a very good scene. I like the others' reactions to The Host's head talking, and the transition from the inside-the-basket POV to a moonlit night sky is a neat touch.

All told it's pretty good stuff though, a revolution in three eps.

This episode is very well executed in many ways, as are the preceding three. The storyline could very easily fallen completely flat and been something of an embarrassment, so I guess that everyone was out of their comfort zone. It has a fine mixture of humour, drama and wit; the Whedonverse doing Hercules/Xena. Highlights include the wisecracking severed-head Lorne and Amy Acker's wonderfully kooky and bashful turn as Fred.

In demon form he rather resembles the Incredible Hulk.

Green, tough-looking, strong, angry and inarticulate. The similarities between the two (or four?) characters doesn't stop there, though, as both Angel and Dr Banner have an abiding frear of what their alter egoes / alternate personalities might do. If the creature is a deliberate reference to the Hulk, it's seemingly a recurring motif in this show. Lilah says something like "Yeah, yeah, Hulk smash!" in one episode where Angel tries to put the heebie-jeebies up her, and then there's The Incredible Host in season 5's Life Of The Party.

Willow at the end is heartbreaking, how much can Alysson Hannigan emote with just her expression?

Oh...

...lots.

Eight out of ten as well for this episode, I reckon.
Old August 17 2010, 01:24 PM   #158
saturn5
Fleet Captain

HEARTHROB
The Good;
Great stuff, once again you feel the Buffy writers are making fun of the whole endless vamp love concept (Twilight/True Blood). Also Lorne's version of 'I left my heart in San Francisco' is WONDERFUL, one of the top three Lorne songs.
The Bad;
How many times can we see the same courtyard even if it is redressed?
Best line:
Angel (after fighting the demon monks) "Should have gone to Vegas"
Angel Cliches
In disguise; 8
Cordy's tattoo; yep, when she bends over to pick up the fire extinguisher during the fight in the hotel lobby
Cheap Angel; 7
Fang Gang in bondage:
Gunn; 3
Lorne; 2

Fang gang knocked out:
Doyle; 1
Gunn; 1
Lorne; 1
Kills: 2 vamps for Angel and one each for Wes and Gunn. Amazingly this is the first vamp Wes ever kills in four years in the Buffyverse. We don't know how many vamps/demons AI killed in the summer but I'll give them one each
Cordy: 5 vamps, 3½ demons
Angel; 28 vamps, 38 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans
Doyle; 1 vamp
Wes; 7 demons+1 vamp
Kate; 3 vamps
Gunn; 8 vamps+ 5 demons.
Fang Gang go evil:

Alternate Fang Gang:

Characters killed: the dude Darla kills and a couple of people at the party
6;
Total number of Angel Investigations: Fred not part of the gang yet, still hiding in her room

Angel Investigations shot: only Angelus by Holtz and he doesn't count
Wes; 1
Packing heat;
Wes; 3
Doyle; 1
Angel; 1

Cordy: 3(?) ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis(?)

Kinky dinky:
Gunn refers to 'doin it with the demons' but doesn't mean what we think (except for Cordy who regularly seems to 'do it' with various supernatural entities). Speaking of which she's close enough to Phantom Dennis to strip naked in front of him and get some loufa action in the bathtub with him. Cordy thinks her new necklace brings out her breasts, Gunn certainly seems to think so to judge by his expression. Nice 'screwed Darla' gag. Darla says Angelus made her pay for leaving him in an extreme S&M style. Wes says Angel doesn't need a lapdance.
Captain Subtext;
Hugs all around when Angel comes back, the events of season 2 well and truly forgotten. James and Elizabeth (both regal names) are obviously a proto Spike and Dru (maybe Darla and Angelus needed another couple to make a four at bridge?).
Parking garages;
Guantanamo Bay;
Love to see more of AI in the summer without Angel, they obviously kept busy. Also would have liked to have seen how Gunn coped with a solo case whilst everyone else was at Buffy's funeral. Can't they buy Fred a whiteboard so that she doesn't have to write on the wall? Does Fred really have to invite Angel into the room she occupies in his hotel? Or is Angel just bluffing to reassure her and make her feel at home? Note Angel takes the time to put his coat on before going vamp hunting. James says that Angelus knows no poetry, well he liked Spike's. Or Angel did? Holst is referred to as the foremost vamp hunter, what about the Slayer of the age? Vamps don't really seem to have love as much as twisted obsession but not having souls they can't appreciate that. Cordy's right of course, the human thing for Angel to do is mourn Buffy but continue his life. Surely James can be killed by fire or decapitation? Nice to know that when the chips are down you can rob the handicapped guy of his crutches and it's all ok.
Marks out of 10; 8/10
Old August 18 2010, 03:11 AM   #159
Mal
Rear Admiral

THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE PLZTH GRB

Best line:
Wes; "Why do people keep putting me in charge of things?"
Gunn; (exasperated) "I have NO idea!".
best line
Gunn: shut up wesley.

not as good as Faith's shut-up-wesley, but seriously, you can never get enough shut-up-wesley

Old August 18 2010, 04:57 AM   #160
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Great stuff, once again you feel the Buffy writers are making fun of the whole endless vamp love concept (Twilight/True Blood).
Please tell me you realize this was about a decade before that shit. Please.

Anyway, foreshadowing to be found in 3x01 "Heartthrob" :

In the flashback to ye olden days...

Holtz (to Angel): I don't have to kill you, you know. I could keep you alive for a long time.

Direct line to 3x22 "Tomorrow."

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2010, 02:28 PM   #161
saturn5
Fleet Captain

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
Great stuff, once again you feel the Buffy writers are making fun of the whole endless vamp love concept (Twilight/True Blood).

Anyway, foreshadowing to be found in 3x01 "Heartthrob" :

In the flashback to ye olden days...

Holtz (to Angel): I don't have to kill you, you know. I could keep you alive for a long time.

Direct line to 3x22 "Tomorrow."
I do realise that but the whole idea has been around for a lot longer, they just take it to it's sappy extreme. I don't hate Twilight or anything but the whole thing strikes me as the kind of concept that Buffy would make fun off (and indeed does in the comics and eps like Lie to Me)

Interesting observation on Holtz!

THAT VISION THING
A real one for Lilah fans, our first sight of Skip and some great acting by CC
The Bad;
The brain thing looks fake. It also seems all very unnecessarily complicated to rescue Billy
Best line:
CC (about Gavin) "Ok, Satan's toady but that's a NICE suit!"
You so feel for Cordy as she suffers. Not so much the rebar through the head but Darla slicing her hand makes me wince every time.
Angel Cliches
Darla's "Men are such babies" remark, about some things yes.
In disguise; 8
Cordy's tattoo; oh yes
Cheap Angel; 7
Fang Gang in bondage:
Gunn; 3
Lorne; 2

Fang gang knocked out: Cordy and Lorne
Cordy: 11
Doyle; 1
Gunn; 1
Lorne; 2
Kills: 2 demons for Angel
Cordy: 5 vamps, 3½ demons
Angel; 28 vamps, 40 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans
Doyle; 1 vamp
Wes; 7 demons+1 vamp
Kate; 3 vamps
Gunn; 8 vamps+ 5 demons.
Fang Gang go evil:

Alternate Fang Gang:

Characters killed:
6;
Total number of Angel Investigations: Fred doing research and taking care of Cordy, now part of the gang
5, Angel, Cordy, Wes, Gunn, Fred

Wes; 1
Packing heat;
Wes; 3
Doyle; 1
Angel; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost: I'm going to add Phantom Dennis who Cordy will later tell us is 'good with a loufa'.
Cordy: 3 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis(?)

Kinky dinky:
'Dick' and 'dong' in the car on the way to get the key. Lilah paws Angel when he's in her office and when he's violent with her it actually seems to turn her on all the more, she keeps pawing. Fred is 'forking with Gunn'.
Captain Subtext;
Lorne loves The Sound of Music. But who doesn't?
Know the face, different character; 3
Bob Morrisey who plays the demon Dr is also the mad guy who accosts Dawn outside the Magic Shop in The Real Me.
Parking garages;
Guantanamo Bay;
Angel threatens Lilah and Gavin. Wes and Gunn are quite prepared to kill Billy if WR&H try anything smart. Despite her tough girl image Lilah seems to be genuinely afraid at the end of the ep.
CC impressed by Gavin's clothes, what a shame she missed most of season 5 when AI can put their wardrobe on WR&H expense account. I wonder if the makers of The Matrix say this ep? They certainly steal the key gag for the second film. Fred meets Phantom Dennis although she also feels the need to introduce herself in a later ep.
Marks out of 10; 6/10, pretty good, not totally brilliant

[/FONT]
Old August 18 2010, 08:40 PM   #162
Mal
Rear Admiral

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
I do realise that but the whole idea has been around for a lot longer, they just take it to it's sappy extreme. I don't hate Twilight or anything but the whole thing strikes me as the kind of concept that Buffy would make fun off (and indeed does in the comics and eps like Lie to Me)
if it's way older, then why would you cite something new and irrelevant like Twilight/True Blood? how about giving some relevant examples? i'd be interested to know how old the phenomenon is.

FWIW, i don't think Stoker's Dracula ever had sad and desperate (and very creepy) middle-aged groupies swooning over him.
Old August 18 2010, 09:09 PM   #163
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

Willow at the end is heartbreaking, how much can Alysson Hannigan emote with just her expression?
Heck, I just point to the bit in "Once More With Feeling" when Buffy finally, in song, spills the beans that she was ripped out of Heaven. The horrified look on Willow's face makes it look like someone just stomped on her heart with steel-toed boots.
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2010, 04:06 AM   #164
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

"That Vision Thing" is another excellent example of the shades of grey that Angel specializes in. Rescuing a person from hell should be a good thing - except if they deserve to be there. Battling demons should be a good thing - except if they're actually good demons working on your side.

Also clearer and clearer signs of Angel's true feelings for Cordelia. Gotta love Lilah worried about the guy's tax forms.

Foreshadowing to be found on 3x02 "That Vision Thing" :

Cordelia's fake visions, which make her think she's doing a good thing despite the pain, but she's being misled all along for Lilah's purposes, leads directly into the Troclon prophecy, the foretelling of disaster that leads Wesley to do something that he thinks is the right thing, even despite all the pain it will cause everybody... except that he's been misled all along for someone else's purposes.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2010, 04:41 AM   #165
Mal
Rear Admiral

HEARTHROB
Does Fred really have to invite Angel into the room she occupies in his hotel?
Public Accommodation, so no invitation needed (Benedictions), but Angel lives there so yes an invitation is needed (Are You Now or Have You Ever Been), but then again, Angel isn't human so no invitation needed (Billy).

Agh, as Merl might say, even if Angel doesn't have to have an invitation, it's still polite.