Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Closed Thread

Old August 15 2010, 07:18 AM   #1
DakotaSmith
Fleet Captain

View DakotaSmith's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to DakotaSmith Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DakotaSmith Send a message via Yahoo to DakotaSmith
Fairly Simple Photomanipulation

I'm not an artist to speak of, and I can't do CGI or decent original work. Consequently, about 99% of the time, I lurk. Every once in a while, I pop out in this forum for something minor.

This is one of those something minors. Here's what I did:

I found this photo on DeviantArt:

I mashed it together with this:

When I was finished, I had this:

As I say, nothing to jump up and down about. I figure this will put me back to lurking for another six months or so ...

Dakota Smith

Old August 15 2010, 07:59 AM   #2
Arpy
Rear Admiral

Re: Fairly Simple Photomanipulation

Clicked and saved - very cool!

Am I the only one who finds that an eerie scene? Maybe it's the unknown crew or the light...or the red uniforms - my god get those people out of there!
Old August 15 2010, 09:23 AM   #3
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

^

Ditto. Very nice work you did there.
Old August 15 2010, 09:31 AM   #4
DakotaSmith
Fleet Captain

View DakotaSmith's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to DakotaSmith Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DakotaSmith Send a message via Yahoo to DakotaSmith

It occurred to me that the city looks deserted. I've attempted to correct this with a Bullet Train:

Old August 15 2010, 09:34 AM   #5
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

Awesomeness... you ought to slap a shuttle in the air, too.
Old August 15 2010, 09:34 AM   #6
DakotaSmith
Fleet Captain

Arpy wrote: View Post
Clicked and saved - very cool!

Am I the only one who finds that an eerie scene? Maybe it's the unknown crew or the light...or the red uniforms - my god get those people out of there!
There's a bunch of pics of those two women. Unfortunately, this is the only one that really lent itself to photomanipulation.

It's entirely coincidental, but as it happens the Trek Remastered Scalos cityscape has the exact same "ground" color as the one the women in the pic are standing on. Sort of makes the coloring seem appropriate, I think. Though again, it was all just pure luck ...

Old August 15 2010, 09:35 AM   #7
DakotaSmith
Fleet Captain

BolianAdmiral wrote: View Post
Awesomeness... you ought to slap a shuttle in the air, too.
Hm ... interesting idea, actually. The danger is the picture getting too "busy", but it would be nice to throw a Class F shuttlecraft in there.

Old August 15 2010, 10:12 AM   #8
DakotaSmith
Fleet Captain

Third version: added the Galileo, just for kicks.

Now, I glommed the shuttle from a picture fairly recently posted here. I've flipped it, scaled it, and I'm curious if even the artist can now recognize his own shuttlecraft ...

Old August 15 2010, 10:25 AM   #9
DakotaSmith
Fleet Captain

Arpy wrote: View Post
Actually, in the photoshoot, the Andorian bought it as redshirts inevitably do:

Old August 15 2010, 02:56 PM   #10
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^That is a shame!

I wonder if you could make the dome a little closer in color to the other buildings. That's the only thing bugging me.
Old August 15 2010, 04:39 PM   #11
kkozoriz1
Fleet Captain

Very cool although I like the abandoned city look. Adds a bit of mystery to the picture.
Old August 15 2010, 06:31 PM   #12
sojourner
Admiral

Nice pic. One caveat, you should be crediting the original artists that you are getting your source material from. After all, they did all the hard work.
Old August 15 2010, 07:03 PM   #13
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
Nice pic. One caveat, you should be crediting the original artists that you are getting your source material from. After all, they did all the hard work.
Well, he did credit DeviantArt. The other is from the remastered series, Max Gabl I believe? In all fairness, DakotaSmith probably figured everybody knew where it come from?
Old August 15 2010, 07:23 PM   #14
deg3D
Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to deg3D

It's nice, but nope, ethically (and legally I might add (been there, done that in regard to my art trying to be hijacked), as all art is automatically protected under an artist's intellectual property rights), even if credited, you cannot ever use another artist's work without their express permission to do so. If permission is granted, it is then up to said artist if they would like credit to be given to them or not.

Otherwise, it's pirating and plagiarizing of another artist's work. No wiggle room, mind you: Case closed.

deg
http://deg3D.biz
Old August 15 2010, 07:26 PM   #15
sojourner
Admiral

TIN_MAN wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Well, he did credit DeviantArt. The other is from the remastered series, Max Gabl I believe? In all fairness, DakotaSmith probably figured everybody knew where it come from?
DeviantArt is a website, not a person.