Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 13 2010, 04:42 PM   #31
apenpaap
Commodore

Re: Things that have Changed Since You were in School

I'm kinda surprised at how many people were apparently taught the Brontosaurus was a distinct species of dinosaur. It's been Apatosaurus since 1903. Is everyone here that old?
Old August 13 2010, 05:21 PM   #32
Omnius
Vice Admiral

View Omnius's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Omnius

Thunder lizard is way cooler than Deceptive lizard imho.
Old August 13 2010, 05:31 PM   #33
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Sakrysta wrote: View Post
B.C. and A.D. being replaced by B.C.E. and C.E.
How very P.C.!
Elimination of the final comma before the conjunction in a list.
The so-called “Oxford comma” is still used and acceptable in many instances. It's mainly a matter of style and clarity.
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2010, 06:05 PM   #34
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

I hadnt heard of the torosaurus=triceratops thing, but I thought torosaurus was also smaller?

so now what do I do with the torosaurus figure in my dinosaur figure collection? Its mislabelled.

also arent they calling brachiosaurus giraffititan these days?
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2010, 06:10 PM   #35
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Staying with the dinosaur theme. When I was a wee lad no one really knew what killed the dinosaurs, now we "sorta" do.

Also, Jurrassic Park sort of threw that image of the big, dumb lizard out. So, everything I learned growing up about Dinosaurs has been debunked.
Old August 13 2010, 06:31 PM   #36
iguana_tonante
Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
English is a phonetically written language. It's not Chinese. If kids are taught phonics, they'll be able to learn and sound out new words for themselves. If they're only taught to recognize whole words by sight, they'll have a very limited vocabulary and be unable to pronounce unfamiliar words -- which is exactly what has happened to the generation that was taught the “look-and-say” (more accurately, “look-and-guess”) method of reading.

Fortunately, schools today are returning to traditional phonics -- after raising a generation of functional illiterates.
I've never heard of this before now, and I think it's one of the most retarded thing I've ever read. No surprise that young Americans have problems learning new words and new languages.
Old August 13 2010, 07:40 PM   #37
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Where do you get the idea that it's easier that way? English is a phonetically written language. It's not Chinese.
I don't have to hear kids stumble across words like cat and dog and truck like I did growing up. Someone can just look at a word and know what it is instead of wasting 20 minutes going c- cuh cuh cuh a - ah ah ah t - tuh tuh tuh Cat. It makes reading out loud excruciating.
I still want to know where this is going on -- I've been teaching emerging readers for 8 years and I've never seen it used successfully.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2010, 07:46 PM   #38
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
English is a phonetically written language. It's not Chinese. If kids are taught phonics, they'll be able to learn and sound out new words for themselves. If they're only taught to recognize whole words by sight, they'll have a very limited vocabulary and be unable to pronounce unfamiliar words -- which is exactly what has happened to the generation that was taught the “look-and-say” (more accurately, “look-and-guess”) method of reading.

Fortunately, schools today are returning to traditional phonics -- after raising a generation of functional illiterates.
I've never heard of this before now, and I think it's one of the most retarded thing I've ever read. No surprise that young Americans have problems learning new words and new languages.
Wong! L Com road juice time!
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2010, 08:02 PM   #39
SVD
Captain

This social networking mumbo jumbo (My Space, Face Book). currently I'm avoiding it, but I'm wondering of there is a day when I can't coming around the bend.

Last edited by SVD; August 14 2010 at 12:13 AM.
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2010, 08:10 PM   #40
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

nevermore wrote: View Post
Other than that, the Soviet Union fell apart... that was a shock, especially when countries started changing their names willy-nippy.
This is the big one. As a little kid, it seemed so permanent, and then suddenly it all changed so quickly later on in school.

Sakrysta - I think whether to use an Oxford comma or not depends a lot on the context of the sentence. Leaving it out "feels" best when the list is short, or the sentence straightforward. The more confusing it is, the more it needs the "space" of the comma to sort the sentence out.

SacmtoValleyMan - I've managed to continue to steer clear of Facebook & Twitter, but I recently succumbed to blogging (yeah, yeah, years behind the curve), so who knows.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2010, 12:11 AM   #41
Thena
Rear Admiral

Location: Taking this graduation business seriously. No, really.
View Thena's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Thena

I can remember my second-grade teacher fighting with a projector when we were trying to watch a movie. Then, in junior high, the music teacher tried to show us a movie on VHS, but she wasn't used to using a VCR and accidentally put the tape in backwards. The class got a good laugh at her when she had to get a library tech to help her figure out what she did wrong.

Of course, today's schools probably use DVDs. Last semester, the professor for one of my grad school classes used YouTube clips in his lectures.

Which reminds me, I graduated from college in 2000 but started taking graduate classes last year. The biggest change I've seen is a heavy use of the Internet, including online class discussions and submitting assignments online. (And the ability to Google the answers, of course, not that I do that. )

My sister teachers undergraduates, and I've heard the complaints about students checking Facebook instead of listening to the lecture. She's also had a series of emails that looked like spam. They were from an AOL account with a username she didn't recognize, no name on the email, and a bunch of attachments she was smart enough not to open. It turned out that this was a student's attempt at turning in his homework, but he waited until the end of the semester to ask her why she hadn't graded his assignments.
Thena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2010, 12:15 AM   #42
scotpens
Vice Admiral

RobertVA wrote: View Post
On the infrequent occasions we had any sort of "media" in school it was usually in the form of 16mm film on a cart that was used to move the projector and an approximately 25 inch diagonal rear projection screen.
That's the first I've heard of schools using rear-projection screens. In my school days, most classrooms had a roll-up screen at the front of the room. If there wasn't one, we had portable screens on tripods. And in high school, I was one of those projectionist geeks on the Audio-Visual crew. It was an easy class credit, and you got to see all the films that came in every week.

Some of the more memorable -- and unintentionally funny -- school films were the anti-drug ones with titles like LSD: Insight or Insanity?

Which makes me curious about how health classes (maybe they don't even call it "health" anymore) have changed. What are kids learning these days about sex and drugs? (I mean inside the classroom.)
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2010, 12:32 AM   #43
SVD
Captain

Thena wrote: View Post
.... The biggest change I've seen is a heavy use of the Internet, including online class discussions and submitting assignments online. (And the ability to Google the answers, of course, not that I do that. )
Come to think of it, that's a noticeable change for me, too.

Thena wrote: View Post
My sister teachers undergraduates ... She's also had a series of emails that looked like spam. They were from an AOL account with a username she didn't recognize, no name on the email, and a bunch of attachments she was smart enough not to open. It turned out that this was a student's attempt at turning in his homework, but he waited until the end of the semester to ask her why she hadn't graded his assignments.
What a Maroon ! Forgot one or more of the rules for Emailing homework: 1) Be sure it is a permited method of turning it in in the first place, 2) Be sure that your teacher recognises what it's for by writing your name and/or course number in the subject, and 3) Be sure it is in a file format that he/she can open.
Old August 14 2010, 02:39 AM   #44
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
I have no idea what you are saying. When I read English, I recognize words, not sounds. That's one of the (many) reasons I loathe "txt speak": I can never figure out what the fuck people are trying to say when they type "ur gr8" or something similarly idiotic.
Old August 14 2010, 03:08 AM   #45
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
I have no idea what you are saying. When I read English, I recognize words, not sounds. That's one of the (many) reasons I loathe "txt speak": I can never figure out what the fuck people are trying to say when they type "ur gr8" or something similarly idiotic.
Oh, it says "Wrong! I can read just fine!". I picked words that have a similar shape. It was my cheeky little effort to agree with you in a different way than normal.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote