Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old August 13 2010, 02:53 AM   #31
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Voyager - A Marathon Re-visit.

vas2009 wrote: View Post
^^ I like "Jane Austin" type films and I didn't think this was horribly done... Victorian lit has a little corn to it, I mean It was a holonovel and a "deliberate parody".

However they dont do much more with this holoprogram... Maybe you'll like Da Vinci.
Well, they use it to good effect in one of the season 2 eps.

Last edited by JanewayRulz!; August 13 2010 at 02:53 AM. Reason: spelling counts for something!
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2010, 03:06 AM   #32
T.D. Possum
Commodore

Yeah, and Carolyn Seymour plays the housekeeper! Win!
T.D. Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2010, 03:08 AM   #33
SRFX
Captain

vas2009 wrote: View Post
^^ I like "Jane Austin" type films and I didn't think this was horribly done... Victorian lit has a little corn to it, I mean It was a holonovel and a "deliberate parody".
I felt is was a stereotypical way a middle aged woman would spend her free time and it made me smile the first time i saw it. Ok, fine...I giggled.
I get what you mean about alienating because I could never get into Sisko's baseball obsession...
However they dont do much more with this holoprogram... Maybe you'll like Da Vinci.
I don't want to comment on episodes I haven't technically rewatched yet, but what I don't like about this Victorian-era literature is that it's grounded in a very socially oppressive era of Earth history, filled with traditional gender roles and outdated stereotypes. I find this detracts from Janeway as it would better if she was shown enjoying something more...progressive? So yes, I do like the Da Vinci stuff better than this. Although it would have been nicer if she'd been been given a female historical figure/role model to interact with like Marie Curie (which would have augmented her scientific background nicely).

Also re: Sisko + baseball. Pretty much the only reason that cliqued with me is that I love Cricket and Baseball is the closest thing Americans have to the game. :P

I would've hated if he'd been into Gridiron or Water Polo (lol Archer).

Anyway, I should get on with some more reviews asap!
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2010, 03:26 AM   #34
SRFX
Captain

FACES - 1x14 - 4/5

Now my opinion on this episode is going to be completely biased positively because I just love B'Elanna Torres. Her struggles to deal with cultural differences and her (angry) emotionalism are concepts that resonate with me very strongly. So when an episode comes along that largely deals with these issues, I am going to be very receptive.

Objectively however, this is a good episode. You get to learn plenty about Torres and this a good growth episode for her as despite how much she wanted to fit in, she can't be anything except the person that she is.

The Vidiians get a pretty one-dimensional showing this episode, but they're a cool villain and I enjoy them being used to good effect at least. The doctor taking Durst's face is still shocking every time I see it and adds to the mood/atmosphere of the episode.

It's disappointing nothing is done about freeing these people in the prison but I guess that's what happens when you only have ~42 minutes to tell a story. Overall though, great episode.
Old August 13 2010, 11:32 AM   #35
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Love this ep, but then I love BLT.

Re: the people left in prison, I think this is a good example at the difference between TNG and the Flagship of the Federation, and VOY with just one little ship against the universe. Janeway knows she has to pick her battles carefully, and there was no way she was going to be able to free those people so she didn't even try.

The end of the show also reinforces the established relationship between C/T. In later years one would expect to see Captain Janeway come in to comfort the wounded officer, but here we see BLT's former Captain doing the honours. The ep's best line, however, was also the best example of Chak falling down on his job as her counselor.

TORRES: I know. I came to admire a lot of things about her. Her strength, her bravery. I guess I just have to accept the fact that I’ll spend the rest of my life fighting with her.

Chak just nodded and walked away when she said this.

I would have foreseen Janeway, on the other hand, saying this to her Chief Engineer.

Janeway: Maybe that's what she was trying to tell you when she died. She's always been there, will always be there at your side, fighting with you, B'Elanna. She's never been fighting against you.
Old August 13 2010, 12:11 PM   #36
SRFX
Captain

Yeah, I considered how a potential rescue could have played out and including it would have either been a unrealistic farce and detracted from the A story or become the focus of the story when it didn't need to be, so I'm glad that plot line wasn't explored.

It would have been nice if there'd been just a little 20 second scene where one of the bridge officers postulates a rescue attempt and Janeway says if this were the Alpha Quadrant of course, but in the DQ, things are different. It would've addressed the absence of this being explored in the episode, and simultaneous stopped the issue in it's tracks.
Old August 14 2010, 02:20 PM   #37
kimc
Coffee Mod

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
I would have foreseen Janeway, on the other hand, saying this to her Chief Engineer.

Janeway: Maybe that's what she was trying to tell you when she died. She's always been there, will always be there at your side, fighting with you, B'Elanna. She's never been fighting against you.
That would have been cool.

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2010, 03:00 PM   #38
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Yeah, but Janeway's relationship with B'Elanna hadn't progressed far enough yet in season 1 for her to say it.

I gotta say, I LOVE LOVE LOVE"Prototype" because of all the J/Torres in it, from start...

ACK!

Can't spoil season 2 for SRFX!

"Shutting up now."
Old August 15 2010, 04:01 AM   #39
SRFX
Captain

You can't really spoil Voyager for me, I have seen all of it during it's original air-date and the occasional airing on Foxtel. What this is, is an objective, chronologically correct revisit so I can get a fresh perspective on the show, rather than just catching random episodes here and there which doesn't always paint the show in it's best light.
Old August 15 2010, 04:40 PM   #40
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Okay....

Continuing where I left off.... (Season 2 spoilers.)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE "Prototype" from start to finish for all the J/Torres in the show.

In the beginning, where the Captain is getting down and dirty with B'Elanna as they try to ressurrect the android, to the middle where Janeway gives her foster daughter her patented Mama Bear growl ( "Lieutenant!" ) over the comm system when she learns Torres is cooperating with her kidnappers (to save Voyager! ).... to the end where Mama comes to empathize with Torres in the mess hall.

Sigh.

I love J/T just as much as I love J/7, and as many of you realize by now,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkFayt5sVos

I mean that in a purely maternal sense.

Signed.... JRulz! J/Cer till I die. (In a purely NONmaternal sense! )
Old August 20 2010, 06:34 AM   #41
Destructor
Commodore

SRFX wrote: View Post
FACES - 1x14 - 4/5

Now my opinion on this episode is going to be completely biased positively because I just love B'Elanna Torres. Her struggles to deal with cultural differences and her (angry) emotionalism are concepts that resonate with me very strongly. So when an episode comes along that largely deals with these issues, I am going to be very receptive.
I love BLT and I love this episode. However I always crack up when I think about it because I always think: "Belanna is beside herself... literally!"
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2010, 11:27 AM   #42
SRFX
Captain

JETREL - 1x15 - 5/5

There's not really any need to go on about the positives of this episode at length. Put simply, it is a stunning and timeless character drama that remains impressive over multiple viewings.

"Jetrel" gives Neelix some much needed character development and back story. This episode finally made Neelix palatable and despite him continually being an annoying character for the rest of the series, I can at least fall back on his personal revelations of this episode and understand why he is the way he is.

There are a couple of logic oversights in this episode, such as the great distance involved in returning to Rynax and Neelix not bothering to visit his homeworld and visit any remaining friends and family before heading back into oblivion with Voyager. But I am more than happy to handwave oversights like this if the story and characterisation is strong enough - and this is Voyager's best outing yet.

One thing I would have liked is a possible discussion of Dr. Jetrel being tried for war crimes and Janeway realising she had no way of enforcing this. It doesn't really affect the episode, but I think a quick 30 second scene where this is discussed and dismissed could have added to the whole "we are starfleet but can't always be starfleet because we're not in Kansas anymore" theme of the series.
Old August 20 2010, 12:25 PM   #43
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

KES: Neelix, you’re protecting me again. I can understand your not wanting to talk about Rinax. I wasn’t there, you’re right. But I’m here now with you. We have to face this together.

NEELIX: Well, there’s one good thing that will come from all this. When I first met you I didn’t know that your species lived only eight or nine years. I fell in love with you without knowing how lonely it would be to live without you after you’re gone. Now that I’m going to die first I don’t have to worry about it.

KES: Before I met you, eight or nine years seemed like an eternity. It never occurred to me that anyone could live longer. Now that we’re together no matter how many years we have left it doesn’t seem like enough. But the important thing is to cherish whatever time we have together, whether it’s a day or a decade.
Old September 9 2010, 05:10 AM   #44
SRFX
Captain

LEARNING CURVE - 1x16 - 1/5

Well, I believe this episode has always polarised viewers and I suspect I'll probably get torn up by some Voyagerians over this, but here goes.

This episode awful. It is easily the weakest of episode of the first season.

Janeway's Victorian Holodrama up until this point has been a minor background element with little screentime. But in this episode, the scene seems to drag on longer than the previous ones. I really just don't get how this insight into Janeway's hobby/past-time is supposed to endear the audience to her, not to mention it making very little sense that a person like Janeway would enjoy this era of human history - an era wound up in pacifying social mores, gender inequality and classism! The dialogue is painful as well. She queries the children on their interests, making the assumption that the girl would only be interested in painting or needlework, rather than Latin or mathematics. And there's the fact that in this holofantasy, Janeway seems happy to play out a maternal role, acting as a de-facto mother for these kids and presumably an eventual love interest for Lord Doucheface or whatever his name. Now I would like to point out that I enjoy Janeway (so far) in her matriarchal role as Captain of the Starship Voyager. She is a strong woman, bigger than life and seeing her play out some mothering fantasy set an era of social oppression and inequality tries to put forth the stereotype that no matter the woman, all she really wants is a man to stand by and children to take care of. Now, I am not criticising women who CHOOSE to do this; to stay at home and raise their children. It is perfectly valid and commendable that a mother (or father!) would want to stay home and raise their children during their foundation years, rather than palming them off to grandparents or daycare. My criticism is that it seems out of character for Janeway to be in this role (even this early in the show she seems more of a mentor than a mother per-se), and they are attempting to apply this mothering stereotype to her character because well, she's a woman.

Feel free to contest or comment on my reading of this scene, but it leaves me quite unsettled and I expect better of Star Trek than this tripe!

Anyway, that went for longer than I thought it would. Now on to the episode, which doesn't fare much better.

Things kick off with some conflict between some particularly difficult Maquis crew-members, butting heads with other Starfleet officers and Chakotay. The scene where Chakotay decks Dalby asking him if he wants to keep doing things the Maquis way is probably the highlight of the episode. I also can't help but feel that this story should have taken place much earlier in the season. The conflict between the Maquis and Starfleet crews was a potentially interesting aspect of Voyager's first season but it was never used, and leaving this story so late feels quite tacked on. Of course, if this were a well written episode, this wouldn't be so much of a problem.

There's a particularly dumb moment in this episode where Tuvok griefs these three Maquis officers by turning up the gravity on the deck, making their jog more difficult. However you can clearly see OTHER Voyager crew members walking around, so either:

1. Tuvok is a massive dick and turned up the gravity with total disregard for he people were trying work on that deck.

2. Production oversight.

Another dumb moment is Dalby's performance captaining Voyager in the holosimulation. Seriously, if all Maquis ships were commanded by idiots like Dalby, no wonder they failed.

And then we get the complication of this episode, which turns out to be CHEESE. For the purposes of this review, CHEESE will be spelled in all-caps to highlight just how fricking ridiculous this situation is. Not only that, but the solution is beyond belief. Sure, the Doctor tells them the bacteria can be cured by heating the gel-packs - makes perfect sense, but the way they go about this is moronic. Phasers have been shown time and again in Star Trek to be quite variable when it comes to their power output. They can be set to be as strong as a cannon, blasting holes through walls or so mild that they can heat some rocks for warmth. So it would make sense to me if they got everyone on the ship to grab their nearest phaser, set it to simply heat the gel-packs and wait until the infection is eradicated. But no, they don't do that. They set the damn plasma conduits to overheat, severely risking the safety of the ship and crew in the process. I mean, this is equivalent to taking someone who has the flu and dangling them over the edge of a volcano until they are healed.

And then we finish off with a sickeningly pat ending which serves to destroy any possibility of future stories concerning Maquis/SF rivalry. Unless it's something completely contrived.

Last edited by SRFX; September 9 2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old September 9 2010, 05:57 AM   #45
Destructor
Commodore

No no no no NO!

Learning Curve is awesome! I love that episode!
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote